new ZJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > new ZJ?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
rebelZJ
1995 FSJ Cherokee 

new ZJ? GOT IT! updated with pics!

ok guys. quick input please. we looked at another ZJ tonite. I know I havent been on for a while. I sold my old ZJ as it was a lemon, but we are looking to get one in the AM. looked at it tonite, and liked it, but wanted to bounce some issues off you guys.

first thing. The dimmer switch doesnt work for the gauges. they are a dim brightness, and all bulbs work, but just dim. SO, easy fix. new dimmer switch. no problem.

Next. roof lights dont work. on entry OR pushing them... humm. tied to dimmer switch? now, the lights on the doors do light up when doors are opened.

next.. AC works, but blower only works on HIGH. now my suburban had that issue, and it was a 26 dollar blower motor relay. easy fix. Same for the jeep?

rear end did make a little noise when slowing down after a 15 mile run. but didnt have wrench to check fluid. Not super worried about it. I know the diffs on jeeps do make some noise, and maybe its low on fluid, but d35's are easy to find and replace and I felt no driveability issues or vibrations.

next tranny did shift a little hard once or twice, but ultimately drove pretty good. asked the guy and tranny fluid or filter have never been changed. So good chance it would like fresh fluid and filter.

jeep has 170k and drives great. suspension feels great. looks to never been wrecked or off road. not a dent on it, and interior is dang near perfect. runs flawlessy with no codes. fuel pressure is great. ujoints seem stout.

What do you guys think? what I listed is the only problems I saw and felt...

are these issues something you all think are easily resolvable?

rebelZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Doesn't look so bad, what year/engine?

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Those are all pretty easy fixes. The dimmer switch, you might try resoldering a couple of the contacts in it. This thread explains how to remove and fix the switch.

Roof lights, I think have their own fuse. Check and see. If not, it could be a dimmer switch thing but I don't think so.

If you have the normal A/C, it's a blower resistor. If you have the automatic A/C it's not that simple if I recall.

Check your diff fluid.

These are pretty basic hydraulic transmissions. They shift fairly roughly sometimes, especially 1-2 in my experience. Can't hurt to change fluid and filter, though. If you do, use an additive like Lucas. The transmission can get used to the oil having the wrong flow characteristics created by extended use of the same fluid. Lucas replicates these changes until the oil wears in.

170k it's a baby. I have 250k on mine. Original engine and trans and everything.

Those tow hooks aren't there for me. They're there for the XJs.
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
rebelZJ
1995 FSJ Cherokee 

thank you guys, and I did leave that out.

its a 97 with the 5.2L... quadratrac? it does have the auto AC I am pretty sure. had a nob to change and I think I recall seeing auto on there...
Unread 01-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
rebelZJ
1995 FSJ Cherokee 

if you guys supported tapatalk I would post a pic of it.

we are gonna look at it again at 8am basically to get it if all goes well... thanks for the input. seems like everything is simple enough to deal with.
Unread 01-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

97 5.2 will have a d44a out back. The 97 is also rumored by some to have electrical gremlins, but I don't really believe it. The odb2 zjs are good stuff, and a 5.2 with that mileage is gonna be nice. The automatic ac has a little display bottom right corner of the temp controls. And it's a righteous pain to fix from what I've read.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 01-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
rebelZJ
1995 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
97 5.2 will have a d44a out back. The 97 is also rumored by some to have electrical gremlins, but I don't really believe it. The odb2 zjs are good stuff, and a 5.2 with that mileage is gonna be nice. The automatic ac has a little display bottom right corner of the temp controls. And it's a righteous pain to fix from what I've read.
good input. thanks.

glad to hear about the 44... as for the electrical gremlins... well dont know what to say. this truck may or may not.

yeah it is the auto ac then... dissapointed to hear its a pita. will have to research it I guess...
Unread 01-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #8
LouC
2007 WK 

The main electrical gremlins you can have are the PCM itself causing random stalling, sometimes the power lock/window modules in the front doors will not work intermittently as can the flipper glass in the rear hatch. The ZJ is not as prone to window motor and lock actuator problems as the WJ and the blend doors on the manual style climate system usually do not fail. The batt cable clamps can crack and cause low voltage, and the engine grounds can get corroded.
Unread 01-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #9
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Also since it's a V8 and has the 249 did you check the VC? Check that the front driveshaft is installed as well (I missed it when I bought my niner)

Polka has the best summary of VC's
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
If the VC is bad you will know by turning with the wheel at full lock. Do some figure 8's. If it's bad then it will hop, bind, and feel very lumpy. Also look and see if the front drive shaft has been removed. The tires can be worn out around the outside edge with a bad VC. They go bad no matter what. The silicone liquid inside eventually hardens and activates the discs inside at all times instead of just when it's needed. So if the ZJ you buy has 150k miles on it and a brand new VC expect for it to wear out around 280k miles. Proper tire inflation and matching tires are a requirement. Just having one brand new tire of the same brand with older tires can cause premature wearing of the VC.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 01-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
rebelZJ
1995 FSJ Cherokee 

front drive shaft and both axles where in it. I did not go to full lock and try it, but front tires are worn evenly, and I did not notice any drivability issues.

thanks for the input! keep em coming! the more I know about it by the AM the better...
Unread 01-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
rebelZJ
1995 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
The main electrical gremlins you can have are the PCM itself causing random stalling, sometimes the power lock/window modules in the front doors will not work intermittently as can the flipper glass in the rear hatch. The ZJ is not as prone to window motor and lock actuator problems as the WJ and the blend doors on the manual style climate system usually do not fail. The batt cable clamps can crack and cause low voltage, and the engine grounds can get corroded.
back glass flipper worked. door locks worked and keyless entry worked. I think that the drivers door actuator was a bit week as it didnt unlock all the way... But the rest all worked well...
Unread 01-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

your rear diff noise is probably bad bearings in the D44a. not cheap. change fluid and go with it.

change tranny fluid and go with it.

i don't know how you can assume the ujoints seem 'stout' from a test drive; they are either good or not.

sounds like you want it. so buy it. fix it, cal it good. its alot easier to replace the little things (even swapping a new diff) than it is to fix a rusted out jeep and an interior thats been thrashed.

also keep in mind the thing is 16 years old............... so it won't be perfect. but if you like it, its clean, then go for it. assuming price is fair

RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #13
rebelZJ
1995 FSJ Cherokee 

Thanks. I crawled under the truck and grabbed and shook and touched everything I could. That's why I say they felt good.

You are right. If all is still well in the morning we will get it. As for price. I'll tell ya after I get it.
Unread 01-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #14
rebelZJ
1995 FSJ Cherokee 

well the guy I guess woke up late and is at church right now. planning to meet him this afternoon.
Unread 01-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #15
RevZJ
1996 ZJ 

So did you get it???

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.