New water pump...aftermarket or Mopar? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New water pump...aftermarket or Mopar?

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #16
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Um I have been running a GMB new brand pump for over a year now.. probly about 1 1/2 years now maybe more actually and i havent had a single issue with it... It was leaking out of the weep hole for a few months very very slowely but it stopped. Personally i dont think there is anything wrong with getting the GMB New pump.. It has good reviews.. mine has lasted almost 2 years.. And its cheap and it has a lifetime warranty as well i believe.. Just give advance auto parts your phone number anytime you buy something big from them so if you lose your reciept you can still return it via phone number..

I used a Felpro gasket but i also used The right stuff rtv in the spray can (same stuff i used for my intake manifold) and put a small bead on both sides of my gasket.. I had an issue by just using the felpro gasket alone to where one corner started leaking probly from the timing cover being uneven after using a air tool to clean the gasket off

Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #17
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
geez, didn't really notice
the plate was welded to the impeller tho
Ok that's what it was. The welded plates are the up dated version, the old ones used to just have rivets.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #18
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post

Ok that's what it was. The welded plates are the up dated version, the old ones used to just have rivets.
Glad to hear it! Hopefully mine will hold up a long time then as mine has the welded plate as well.
95 zj 5.2 np242 3.5'' IRO lift, IRO adjustable arms, KOR front trackbar, steering stabilizer and box brace, IRO rear adjustable trackbar, bilsteins, Hughes plenum plate, flow master 40, 31x10.5s on 15'' dc-2 rims
Mopar or no car!
moparlover1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #19
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Cheap crap?smfh,you guys kill me
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #20
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I will be trying a hesco next if the new mopar craps out. When I do though the tstat housing will get relief cut or just buy a powder coated one thats high volume. Just gotta see if the mopar lower hose still comes with a spring so it doesn't close up with pump suction. I really am starting to wonder if stray voltages are part of the culprit in all these water pumps. Is the seal in them spring loaded or a ceramic type seal? I read an extensive article on the electrolysis factor in engines, but I can't find it again. Are you guys noticing any pitting or anything like that? Keeping water in a jeep seems to be a challenge.

Or it could be castings are getting reproduced and copied to the point the tolerances are crap.
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #21
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
Or it could be castings are getting reproduced and copied to the point the tolerances are crap.
That seemed to be the case with my Mopar pumps.

I doubt electrolysis could work so quickly on a seal spring but guessing.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #22
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I've seen napa pumps with outright casting flaws. That was the one before the mopar one now. On the napa pump the seal didn't leak but the bearing was so wobbly I don't see how it didn't. The advance pump before that one was the same way. Lol, are we going to have to run electric pumps on an adapter plate?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.