New (used) trany in now rear vibration at take-off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New (used) trany in now rear vibration at take-off

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thi50" SINGLE ROW PANDEMIC LED Light bar FEATURES 4D Opt

Unread 12-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
bigwave
2004 TJ Wrangler 

New (used) trany in now rear vibration at take-off

Ok, I just put in a new transmission in my 1998 jeep grand Cherokee, all stock, and now when I try to quickly accelerate from a dead stop the rear end vibrates, all most like wheel hop, but more in the drive train. If rolling or moving slowly and punching it, it does not do it, or very little. It's like the vibration you get from a misaligned rear drive shaft on a lifted jeep. But this one is not lifted and all stock. What do you all think?
Rear bushings, rear shocks, U-Joints ?? Anyone??
Thanks

bigwave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

The only thing that changed was the transmission?
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
jorhay
1997 ZJ 

I had the same symptoms in my zj a couple years ago. Took it to a trans shop and ended up with a rebuild on it.
jorhay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
Taz360ZJ

bad trans mount?
Taz360ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
monte350
1997 ZJ 

did you mark the driveshafts in relation to the yokes on the front and rear ends? something I was always told to do by my mechanic uncles and teachers or you could end up with a vibration.
monte350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2014, 11:35 PM   #6
bigwave
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Darn it, anyway, any more ideas

Well, heck, I put new rear shocks, changed most of the rear bushings on sway bar, pulled the rear drive shaft back off cleaned up the joint and put it back on. U-Joint feels good and solid. No go, still doing same thing. I had a fellow with allot of experience ride with me and we did several "tests" and he thinks it's something in the rear. It does it if shifted to low1 or in drive, I can brake torque it and it will spin the rear tires with no vibrations or problems. I can put in reverse and punch it and no vibrations. Drove it 100 miles today on highway and interstate ran great and no problems at any speed. Just from a dead stop if I punch it, it almost jumps in the rear but tires are not spinning but it reminds me of wheel hop you get from a sports car or something similar. Anymore ideas??
Unread 12-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
Taz360ZJ

wheel out of balance or out of round?
Unread 12-19-2014, 07:27 AM   #8
bigwave
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Almost can't be a "balance thing" because it does not do it at any speed. Only at take off from dead stop. I can see the rear end vibrating at take off, I can see the rear control arms moving up and down, I replaced one sides bushings last night and it did not help. I thought for sure it was the control arm bushings by the way it looked.
Unread 12-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #9
Taz360ZJ

bell housing bolts tight? flex plate bolts tight? you sure it's not the trans mount? motor mounts?

FWIW I had a bone stock 1999 XJ Classic with the 4.0, AW4, 231, as stated....no mods..bone stock. under hard acceleration from a dead stop, no wheel spin, it had this drive line vibration, only under HARD acceleration. that turned in to drive line vibes when I lifted it. eventually went SYE and that cured everything.
Unread 12-22-2014, 07:19 AM   #10
bigwave
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Still looking Darnit,

OK, for those following I have removed the rear drive shaft to finally prove yes or no on the rear end. It's a big NO, it does the same strange vibes in 4-wd and no rear axel even attached. I just put in 4wd and went forward and backward on my driveway 50' but that was enough. Once again the whole transmission transfercase, drive shaft(s) just jump up and down. I'm now wondering maybe transmission mount on cross bar frame mount?? Darn this stinks, it was not doing this before swapping out tranny. And still only from a dead stop and hard acceleration. Transmission shifts and acts wonderfully going down the road. Only kind of strange thing is it seems to take a second longer than before to go into drive when you shift the shifter, I wonder if that could be an adjustment. Because when first in the jeep would not start in park due to shifter adjustment. But, I'm not even worried about that one yet.
Unread 12-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #11
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

What about trying it with no front driveshaft instead?
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #12
bigwave
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Haven't tried that one yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
What about trying it with no front driveshaft instead?
I haven't tried that one yet. I think my next move is going to be to throw the floor jack under the tranny / Transfer case area and gently move it up and down and look for possible movement, perhaps that will tell me if a mount is bad.
Next step after that may be, sledge hammer, and TNT. Just the song, the other stuff is not legal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.