New (used) motor or repair? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New (used) motor or repair?

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
savannahzj
1998 ZJ 

New (used) motor or repair?

A little history first. About 6 months ago the crank pulley went out. While pressing the new one on we had to tap on the new pulley, press further, and tap some more. About a month later, the 4.0 developed a slight tap that was in unison with rpms. The tap was light, and many said it was probably excessive end play. Today, under slight acceleration, it sounded like something let loose and a very loud tap has developed. No chage in idle, oil pressure, or temp. But it is very loud, loudest on slight acceleration, meaning at no throttle(coasting) or medium throttle it quiets down. I drove approximately 60 miles like this, babying it all the way, but at highway speed. It got no worse during or after the trip. I'm guessing rod bearing??? I will try to find out more tomorrow by pulling plug wires to isolate a cylinder. My question is... because of my stupidity during the crank pulley repair, is it worth trying to fix one cylinder? Are the others far behind? Or am I totally off base. Any input will be greatly appreciated, as this is my DD. Oh, and yes oil is fairly new and level is good. Thanks.

savannahzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
jt97tj
1998 ZJ 

Is it a top end noise? Pull the valve cover and perform an inspection.
jt97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Usually taps are up top, knocks are down below. It might not be as bad as you think if it's a tap.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.