new transmission, same problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > new transmission, same problems

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 02-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
jeffp2152
1998 XJ Cherokee 

new transmission, same problems

I started having problems with the transmission on my 93 gc. 4.0, 42re transmission. The transmission would not downshift unless I did it manually with the shifter. Going from a stop in D the jeep would slip a lot and slowly go forward until it picks up some speed then it goes fine in D, but still wont downshift. Reverse works fine.

I got a rebuilt transmission and installed it. Same problems. I added fluid, let it warm up, checked the fluid again and it was fine. Reverse works fine. But still wont downshift unless I do it manually.

Also, I noticed that my O/D switch, right underneath the rear wiper switch, does not work either. And I don't believe it has since the problems started. So I also have no O/D.

What are my possible problems now?
- Throttle valve cable?
- wiring?
- PCM?

jeffp2152 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Possibly overdrive unit (although I dont think that would cause it to not downshift)

Possibly kick down cable (although Im not sure if that would have anything to do with the o/d)

Possibly PCM.

At this point, if I were you, I would take it to a tranny shop or dealership for a diagnosis. May cost you a few bucks to have them look at it, but at least you would get a better idea of what the problem is before you go dumping money into guesses.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
psyviperx
2004 WJ 

check the fuses under the hood by the transmission relay

97 Laredo I6 2WD | 2"BB up front | F>R Swap
(sold to uncle)

I'm holding out for a 5.9...
psyviperx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

The 93 does not have PCM. It has ECM and TCM. TCM is suspect.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #5
jeffp2152
1998 XJ Cherokee 

oh I didn't think I even had a tranny computer? are those just plug and play if I grab one from the junkyard?
Unread 02-22-2010, 11:36 PM   #6
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

What gears does it run? Does it up shift at all? Mine starts in 3rd when in D, it wont upshift or downshift unless i downshift manually. I can get into first if i slam it from neutral to 1. I took my jeep today actually to a transmission shop, pulled some codes and got codes for the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC), which is in part with the governor pressure sensor and 3-4 upshift. Not saying that this is your problem, but it might help mine. Im 90% positive that the new Governor Pressure Sensor, Solenoid, and TCC Solenoid it will fix my symptoms.

Once again, what gears are you able to run in, and what gear does it start in?

Heres a link to the 3 parts that could fix your shifting problems.

http://newyork.olx.com/transmission-...-68524073#pics

If you can, go get it scanned somewhere. Get the codes so you dont start looking in the wrong direction. I got mine scanned for 26 bucks.

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2010, 12:49 AM   #7
jeffp2152
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
What gears does it run? Does it up shift at all? Mine starts in 3rd when in D, it wont upshift or downshift unless i downshift manually. I can get into first if i slam it from neutral to 1. I took my jeep today actually to a transmission shop, pulled some codes and got codes for the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC), which is in part with the governor pressure sensor and 3-4 upshift. Not saying that this is your problem, but it might help mine. Im 90% positive that the new Governor Pressure Sensor, Solenoid, and TCC Solenoid it will fix my symptoms.

Once again, what gears are you able to run in, and what gear does it start in?

Heres a link to the 3 parts that could fix your shifting problems.

Transmission Parts 42re 46re Solenoid Kit Dodge - New York - Car Parts

If you can, go get it scanned somewhere. Get the codes so you dont start looking in the wrong direction. I got mine scanned for 26 bucks.
Sounds like my problem. Starts in three from a stop in drive. Will go into first if I slam it... But I had this problem and changed the transmission and still have the same problem. To me it sounds like it has to be something external?
Unread 02-23-2010, 02:44 AM   #8
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
The 93 does not have PCM. It has ECM and TCM. TCM is suspect.
PCM/ECM, same damn thing. But yes, unlike 4.0 WJs, the TCM is a stand alone unit.

If you're having the same issues as the last transmission, read the codes and I'd be surprised if you didn't a) have an open fuse b) have a wire grounding out in your harness or c) have a faulty computer. If the transmission was rebuilt, the electronics should have been replaced (though they may not have been so it COULD be the culprit) but what are the chances it's not something related to the vehicle itself? Slim, I say.

Just because you are missing 1st and OD and can force it into them, does not mean anything. Your transmission is in LIMP MODE. it means it detected a fault (threw a code..OD light is on thats a sign something is wrong) and is protecting itself from further harm. By abusing the transmission and forcing it into gears it does not want to be in, you could cause further damage to your newly rebuilt transmission. Being in limp mode does not mean you have the same problem as joe schmo who always had his transmission stuck in limp mode, it simple means you have an electronic fault present and you need to find out what it is, and fix it.
perfectcircle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2010, 04:01 AM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Limp mode is to get t the nearest service station and driving around in it will cause more damage than manually shifting the gears.

Sounds like a power or computer problem. Though you NEED the obd codes to know where to start.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2010, 04:46 AM   #10
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectcircle View Post
PCM/ECM, same damn thing. But yes, unlike 4.0 WJs, the TCM is a stand alone unit.
Technically, they are not the same. 96 and above have PCM and previous years have ECM + TCM.
Unread 02-23-2010, 08:17 AM   #11
jeffp2152
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for all of the input guys. Today I am going to go get another tranny computer and see if just switching them out fixes the problem. I'm also going to check fuses and wiring, and run the codes and see what I can find out.

To get to the tcm do I need to pull the dash off or is it lower along the firewall? to the left of the steering rod with a **** ton of wires coming out of it?
Unread 02-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

I'll bump it and say i don't know where it's located.
Unread 02-23-2010, 11:21 PM   #13
jeffp2152
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well, thanks to everyone here at the forum, my jeep is back on the road again working good.

I did some searching for the 42re tcm and found someone with the same problem as me, and it turned out to just be the fuse.

Well that was it. Boy do I feel stupid for not checking it 3 months ago.

O well, I now have a newer rebuilt tranny and transfer case.

The only thing I noticed(did this before the tranny change) is that I can hear the tranny fluid being pumped when the car is cold. Is this normal? only happens if I rev it up before driving it. Never did it in warmer weather, and its only about 20 degrees here now
Unread 02-24-2010, 01:14 AM   #14
perfectcircle
1999 WJ 

What'd I tell ya?
perfectcircle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.