New Transmission Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New Transmission Problems

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
jtrain3
1995 ZJ 

New Transmission Problems

So I just put in my $1200 rebuilt 46RH this weekend. Think I did everything right, cleaned and replaced some coolant lines, flushed the oil cooler, made sure everything was circulating. Put the transmission in, ran good, shifted good, everything seemed to be just great. Then lastnight, after driving about 25 miles on the new transmission my overdrive started making a loud grinding noise. It will still go in overdrive but makes an noise and seems to lose a little bit of momentum. I turned off the overdrive with the electronic button and drove the rest of the way home. Now I am worried, and not sure what I should do first.

Any ideas?

jtrain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I would take it back to whom ever rebuilt it. Something isn't working properly.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
jtrain3
1995 ZJ 

Yeah I called him, he said thats not good. He told me to pull the coolant line that runs from the radiator and see if it produces 1qt in 20 seconds of tranny fluid. we will see.. If I have to pull this transmission out again I am going to cry..
Unread 04-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

bet it didn't have the correct spacer for the overdrive apply servo.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
jtrain3
1995 ZJ 

Could you explain what you mean by that? Is this something i should ask the rebuilder?
Unread 04-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
jtrain3
1995 ZJ 

Just got done checking the oil lines, had plenty of pressure and pumps out a lot of oil.
Unread 04-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Dude, just take the rig to him and let him figure out what's wrong. For $1200 he should take pretty damn good care of you.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.