JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   new track bar retaining iro double shear frame side (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/new-track-bar-retaining-iro-double-shear-frame-side-1516046/)

ZJ5point2GCL 04-28-2013 11:41 PM

new track bar retaining iro double shear frame side

The front track bar's adjusting threads are completely seized among other issues with it, so i am just trashing it and need a new one, and i am sick of IROs stuff, and would like better quality.

I would like to keep the double shear bracket or at least a new track bar with a double shear drop bracket.

i was think the rubicon express 1660.

any other suggestions?

also i need it for 7.5''s

thanks for your input:tea:

Technohead 04-29-2013 03:00 AM

The RE Super Duty bracket cracks. For some reason the welds are only on the outside. I scrapped mine and got this:

http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...roducts_id/310

HighLonesome 04-29-2013 07:50 AM

I have a JKS adjustable you can have cheap. Its like brand new. PM me.

JohnnyZJ 04-29-2013 09:07 AM

he's up here in Calgary. probably to much to ship.

Jake i'll porbably go with a claytons unit at some point too.... fairly unhappy with my IRO double sheer too.

ZJ5point2GCL 04-29-2013 09:15 AM

Do you know anywhere locally that would have the Clayton?

The jeep isn't drivable so I was hoping to deal with it today.

My truck is in the shop and the merc was supposed to go in today, but I don't want to be vehiclesless.

And thanks for the offer I'll keep it in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

speedbucket 04-29-2013 12:33 PM

THis is from a different thread dealing with the bushing compression i had on the frame side

Ruffstuff doesn't currently have misalignments in the IRO frame bracket width but with some pretty simple grinder work you can make them fit. After talking to dan about it he said he will start carrying 1.75" mounting width misalignments for the 3/4" and 7/8" heims

I think this would easily work for you since the iro threads get cut off to sleeve it anyways. I probably wont put mine together until i get my struts as they will set my ride height and ill probably be cutting alll the coils and bracketry off for the struts leading to an over axle track bar mount, but i do have the parts listed below in my garage

"ok, so i have figured out how i am proceeding with this.....

the IRO track bar is 1.25" OD solid tube
I am going to cut the threaded portion off of the track bar
get 1' of either 1.75"x.250 wall DOM ($12.60) or 1' of 1.5"x.120 wall DOM ($6.50)

The ID of both of those is 1.25" so it will sleeve over the IRO bar
Weld the exposed sleeve in all the way around to the IRO bar and maybe some drill the outer sleeve for a few small plug welds

Then get The 7/8" tube bung for 1.25" ID and weld that to the DOM sleeve($10)
Then get a 7/8" by 7/8" Heim, misalignments, and jam nut to finish it

I priced all of this using the .250 wall DOM from Ruffstuff and all in before shipping it is 49$ which isn't much more than the cost of a johnny joint alone (Heim,misalignment,jamnut,weld in bung,and DOM sleeve)
a 7/8" heim should be plenty sufficient for the track bar, particularily the RUFFSTUFF heims which are know as some of the best (if not the best) out there
Hope THis helps, I have less than 5k miles on my IRO bar and there is 3/8" of play in the frame bushing and it is not visibly damaged. This is not acceptable in my opinion for a track bar and leads to sloppy handling for sure"

ajmorell 04-29-2013 02:38 PM

I ran the JKS double shear bar and it worked fine with the IRO bracket. I'd go either that route or Claytons but I don't know if you can source either locally.

ZJ5point2GCL 04-29-2013 05:52 PM

I took it to broken axel in Calgary and with allot of heat and persuasion an hour later they freed up the adjuster and the sleeve off the bolt.

I used some old (bad soft batch) of bushings for now and have new ones coming.

But I am going to look into a Johnny joint or just get a Clayton one.

At least for the time being it's drivable and only cost me 120 bucks

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

The time now is 01:40 AM.