New tires - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New tires

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #16
stageninja
That Rigger Guy

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
I dont think any major companies are US made. Tread wrights are, what I got.
My Generals are made in Illinois just 1 state away.
Staying away from Firestone because I know good union people that were "laid off" when they closed the Noblesville, In plant.

stageninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #17
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

I've been in the tire biz for 25+ yrs. I see less and less Made in U.S.A. stampings on "American" brand tires every year.
Lots of Goodyear, General, BFG, Firestone, etc. are made in Mexico, Taiwan, China, Russia, Malaysia, etc.
Michelin has always been a Canadian company...

If you want an American made tire, check out any TBC/Treadways Corp. tire brand....
Jetzon, Cordovan, El Dorado, Grand Am, Grand Prix, and at least a dozen other names as well.

90% of the Goodyears I see have been buffed from the factory and are STILL not round. Went through 9 tires(out of the 12 we keep in stock) to get 4 round GY Wrangler Radials when I bought four 235/75R15s for my wife's ZJ.
Then I bought four 31x10.50R15 Jetzon Mud Claws from our distributor and all 4 they sent were perfectly round.....

Oh, and those Michelins & Goodyears from Wal-Mart and Sears and the likes, are NOT the same quality!!! Fewer and thinner cords, thinner sidewall and inner liner rubber thicknesses, thinner bead wires, etc.

Also, just how many miles do you think those Treadwright carcasses have on them before their new treads??

A retread's donor isn't called a carcass for no reason... LOL
Only tires that are branded "REGROOVABLE" are actually designed for more than one tread lifespan.

I have to admit that I put ZERO faith in what Consumer Reports has to say about tires.

BTW: The Yokohamas on one of my cars were made in the U.S.A. and they are way nicer tires than the Generals(Made in Mexico) I bought it with, for what it's worth....

My apologies for sounding rough, but I see tires day in and day out and the average consumer thinks tires are some thing you put on and you're all set for life.

Hope I didn't ruffle any feathers....
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #18
stageninja
That Rigger Guy

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1994ZJ
I've been in the tire biz for 25+ yrs. I see less and less Made in U.S.A. stampings on "American" brand tires every year.
Lots of Goodyear, General, BFG, Firestone, etc. are made in Mexico, Taiwan, China, Russia, Malaysia, etc.

If you want an American made tire, check out any TBC/Treadways Corp. tire brand....
Jetzon, Cordovan, El Dorado, Grand Am, Grand Prix, and at least a dozen other names as well.

90% of the Goodyears I see have been buffed from the factory and are STILL not round. Went through 9 tires(out of the 12 we keep in stock) to get 4 round GY Wrangler Radials when I bought four 235/75R15s for my wife's ZJ.
Then I bought four 31x10.50R15 Jetzon Mud Claws from our distributor and all 4 they sent were perfectly round.....

Oh, and those Michelins & Goodyears from Wal-Mart and Sears and the likes, are NOT the same quality!!! Fewer and thinner cords, thinner sidewall and inner liner rubber thicknesses, thinner bead wires, etc.

Also, just how many miles do you think those Treadwright carcasses have on them before their new treads??

Only tires that are branded "REGROOVABLE" are actually designed for more than one tread lifespan.

I have to admit that I put ZERO faith in what Consumer Reports has to say about tires.

BTW: The Yokohamas on one of my cars were made in the U.S.A. and they are way nicer tires than the Generals(Made in Mexico) I bought it with, for what it's worth....

My apologies for sounding rough, but I see tires day in and day out and the average consumer thinks tires are some thing you put on and you're all set for life.

Thanks for the reply but as I posted earlier, I did my research & have placed an order w/tire rack. The Generals I ordered were made in Illinois. I do know that General makes tires in the U.S. Brazil & Mexico. Your post certainly is spirited. I most certainly don't think I'm set for life with 1 tire purchase or 2 for that matter. I am aware that Wal-Mart has inferior versions of many products in order to meet their price points. I wasn't aware that Sears did the same thing. My Sears purchases were based on the ability to get service just about anywhere in the country but my attitude about Sears has changed now that many of their Craftsman hand tools are now made in China. Tools that are the same price as if they were made in the U.S. I just hope my U.S. made Craftsman tools don't break as I will probably replace them w/Snap-on from here out. Thanks again.

Unread 05-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #19
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1994ZJ

Didn't ruffle mine. Many guys around here run what they want and like one company over another. How life is.
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #20
stageninja
That Rigger Guy

1997 ZJ 

Tires arrived. Will see them after work tonight. Appt. scheduled for 3:30 install tomorrow.

Unread 05-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #21
stageninja
That Rigger Guy

1997 ZJ 

New tires are on & I'm happy with them so far. Very happy w/Tirerack.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.