New tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New tires

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
stageninja
That Rigger Guy

1997 ZJ 

New tires

Time for new rubber. I want tires made in the U.S. My Michelins have cracked side walls so I won't be getting those. Looking at Goodyear Wrangler or Armourtrac, Goodrich & General but can't confirm if General are made in U.S. I want an all terrain all season tire although it is street driven almost exclusively. Going with 235 70 16 & staying w/stock rims on UC Suspension. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

stageninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

In 2007, I bought these from tirerack . com and they are still going strong with lots of tread left. Rated very well.

LT30X9.50RR-15 Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor

Great traction, no wear problems (rotated regularly), almost no road noise, never had a flat.

Contact sales @ tirerack . com to find out where they are made.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

The treadwrights are US made, and are getting a pretty good rep.

The general grabber HTS I have on my 96 are very good on road and surprise the hell out of everybody with how well they perform offroad.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
L_Kilkenny
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Had trouble in the past with uneven wear on the wranglers and IIRC Generals are made in Mexico. I've been running BF Goodrich's for a couple decades and every time I step away from them I'm unhappy. I pretty much stick with their AT's but their rough country's are still pretty aggressive looking and should be quieter. FTR, I get great wear from my AT's.

Edited: Checked on the Generals, made in USA according to tire rack. The Grabber HTS's are currently listed at $108, the AT's at $120.

Last edited by L_Kilkenny; 05-08-2013 at 09:40 PM..
L_Kilkenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
papitt
1995 ZJ 

.. I've just bought 2 set of Goodyears Wranglers from Walmart . I gave 78.00 each for one set and 82.00 for the 2nd set about 2 months laster. Mine were 235 75 R15. not 16's.
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 12:04 AM   #6
just_urd
1998 ZJ 

I'm a big BFG all terrain fan. Some may disagree depending on the driving done. I've had nothing but good luck with them with my driving, on and offroad... White letters out
just_urd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #7
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

I really liked my BFG TA KOs, as they last forever, tread-wise, are great on the road, in rain, snow, and offroad they're pretty decent for most things, although not great in the mud, as they tend to gum up, and lose traction.
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #8
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

i wouldnt buy goodyear tires. we had a set on our 2011 patriot, and even with regular rotations (every 3000 miles) they were completely wiped out in 22,000 miles.
Unread 05-09-2013, 12:57 AM   #9
ozzy_2_me
1994 ZJ 

i work and manage a tire store and for shure do not get the goodyears. i see more of these being sent back for defects then any other tire that i carry. i personally have the michelin at2's on my jeep. I have had these on for the last 3.5 years 42,258miles( rotate every 3000 miles (cross fronts to the rear, rears straight to the front) and they are wearing awesome. str8 across and not aven startin to cup. there is still a little over 60% tread left on them. as for the side wall on your tires seperating you should of taken them back as soon as you noticed it and you might have been give a new set. that is what tire warrenties are for. michelin is still the best tire touching the roads today.

this is my opinion take it for what it is worth to you nothing more.
kevin
ozzy_2_me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #10
a70eliminator

My 1990 lincoln LSC has it's original Michelins and at 74,000 miles I can't complain. I have BFG All terrains on both my Jeeps and so far so good one set is 4 yrs old and the other is 2 yrs and both looking great with even tread wear, Michelin didn't have 31" in a 15 that I could find.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
stageninja
That Rigger Guy

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy_2_me
i work and manage a tire store and for shure do not get the goodyears. i see more of these being sent back for defects then any other tire that i carry. i personally have the michelin at2's on my jeep. I have had these on for the last 3.5 years 42,258miles( rotate every 3000 miles (cross fronts to the rear, rears straight to the front) and they are wearing awesome. str8 across and not aven startin to cup. there is still a little over 60% tread left on them. as for the side wall on your tires seperating you should of taken them back as soon as you noticed it and you might have been give a new set. that is what tire warrenties are for. michelin is still the best tire touching the roads today.

this is my opinion take it for what it is worth to you nothing more.
kevin
Sears is refusing to honor the road hazard warranty I paid for because they are over 4 years old. I do rotate every 3000 miles but its a 5 tire rotation. I also drive less than 10,000 miles in a year so they have less than 40,000 on them. I've read many complaints about the cracking on the side walls.

Unread 05-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #12
stageninja
That Rigger Guy

1997 ZJ 

So I just ordered the General Grabber HTS Blackwalls from Tirerack. Should be here tomorrow or Monday. From reading your advice and the reviews that sounds like the best tire for my driving and economy since the closest I get to off-roading is the occasional drive through a muddy field to build or run a stage. May get to do that soon since this is May in Indy and the ground is saturated at the moment. Most staging sites at the track are a mess right now. If you go to the Carb Day Concert look for me around the stage. Thanks everybody for your input.

Unread 05-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Are you with a specific company or are you just IA?

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
stageninja
That Rigger Guy

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov
Are you with a specific company or are you just IA?
I am IA & work for a rigging co. called Aerial Arts. as well as the unions other employers.

Unread 05-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #15
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I dont think any major companies are US made. Tread wrights are, what I got.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.