JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   New tires (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/new-tires-1520777/)

stageninja 05-08-2013 08:08 PM

New tires

Time for new rubber. I want tires made in the U.S. My Michelins have cracked side walls so I won't be getting those. Looking at Goodyear Wrangler or Armourtrac, Goodrich & General but can't confirm if General are made in U.S. I want an all terrain all season tire although it is street driven almost exclusively. Going with 235 70 16 & staying w/stock rims on UC Suspension. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

KoreaZJ 05-08-2013 08:22 PM

In 2007, I bought these from tirerack . com and they are still going strong with lots of tread left. Rated very well.

LT30X9.50RR-15 Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires..._owl_ci2_l.jpg

Great traction, no wear problems (rotated regularly), almost no road noise, never had a flat.

Contact sales @ tirerack . com to find out where they are made.

kg6mov 05-08-2013 08:23 PM

The treadwrights are US made, and are getting a pretty good rep.

The general grabber HTS I have on my 96 are very good on road and surprise the hell out of everybody with how well they perform offroad.

L_Kilkenny 05-08-2013 08:26 PM

Had trouble in the past with uneven wear on the wranglers and IIRC Generals are made in Mexico. I've been running BF Goodrich's for a couple decades and every time I step away from them I'm unhappy. I pretty much stick with their AT's but their rough country's are still pretty aggressive looking and should be quieter. FTR, I get great wear from my AT's.

Edited: Checked on the Generals, made in USA according to tire rack. The Grabber HTS's are currently listed at $108, the AT's at $120.

papitt 05-08-2013 10:06 PM

.. I've just bought 2 set of Goodyears Wranglers from Walmart . I gave 78.00 each for one set and 82.00 for the 2nd set about 2 months laster. Mine were 235 75 R15. not 16's.

just_urd 05-08-2013 11:04 PM

I'm a big BFG all terrain fan. Some may disagree depending on the driving done. I've had nothing but good luck with them with my driving, on and offroad... White letters out :)

SAR-Swimmer 05-08-2013 11:08 PM

I really liked my BFG TA KOs, as they last forever, tread-wise, are great on the road, in rain, snow, and offroad they're pretty decent for most things, although not great in the mud, as they tend to gum up, and lose traction.

dnuccio 05-08-2013 11:17 PM

i wouldnt buy goodyear tires. we had a set on our 2011 patriot, and even with regular rotations (every 3000 miles) they were completely wiped out in 22,000 miles.

ozzy_2_me 05-08-2013 11:57 PM

i work and manage a tire store and for shure do not get the goodyears. i see more of these being sent back for defects then any other tire that i carry. i personally have the michelin at2's on my jeep. I have had these on for the last 3.5 years 42,258miles( rotate every 3000 miles (cross fronts to the rear, rears straight to the front) and they are wearing awesome. str8 across and not aven startin to cup. there is still a little over 60% tread left on them. as for the side wall on your tires seperating you should of taken them back as soon as you noticed it and you might have been give a new set. that is what tire warrenties are for. michelin is still the best tire touching the roads today.

this is my opinion take it for what it is worth to you nothing more.
kevin

a70eliminator 05-09-2013 07:23 AM

My 1990 lincoln LSC has it's original Michelins and at 74,000 miles I can't complain. I have BFG All terrains on both my Jeeps and so far so good one set is 4 yrs old and the other is 2 yrs and both looking great with even tread wear, Michelin didn't have 31" in a 15 that I could find.

stageninja 05-09-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy_2_me
i work and manage a tire store and for shure do not get the goodyears. i see more of these being sent back for defects then any other tire that i carry. i personally have the michelin at2's on my jeep. I have had these on for the last 3.5 years 42,258miles( rotate every 3000 miles (cross fronts to the rear, rears straight to the front) and they are wearing awesome. str8 across and not aven startin to cup. there is still a little over 60% tread left on them. as for the side wall on your tires seperating you should of taken them back as soon as you noticed it and you might have been give a new set. that is what tire warrenties are for. michelin is still the best tire touching the roads today.

this is my opinion take it for what it is worth to you nothing more.
kevin

Sears is refusing to honor the road hazard warranty I paid for because they are over 4 years old. I do rotate every 3000 miles but its a 5 tire rotation. I also drive less than 10,000 miles in a year so they have less than 40,000 on them. I've read many complaints about the cracking on the side walls.

stageninja 05-09-2013 11:23 AM

So I just ordered the General Grabber HTS Blackwalls from Tirerack. Should be here tomorrow or Monday. From reading your advice and the reviews that sounds like the best tire for my driving and economy since the closest I get to off-roading is the occasional drive through a muddy field to build or run a stage. May get to do that soon since this is May in Indy and the ground is saturated at the moment. Most staging sites at the track are a mess right now. If you go to the Carb Day Concert look for me around the stage. Thanks everybody for your input.

kg6mov 05-09-2013 01:53 PM

Are you with a specific company or are you just IA?

stageninja 05-09-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kg6mov
Are you with a specific company or are you just IA?

I am IA & work for a rigging co. called Aerial Arts. as well as the unions other employers.

tucsonzj 05-09-2013 04:27 PM

I dont think any major companies are US made. Tread wrights are, what I got.

The time now is 02:21 AM.