new tire time - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > new tire time

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 02-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #16
haightjr
1995 ZJ 

Kinda off topic but you received your tax refund already? Who did you file with? The IRS just accepted my taxes yesterday that I filed with H&R block over a week ago. Waiting for my return so I can pick up a 4 inch lift, tires, and do the N242 transfer case swap with u-joint axle shafts and front drive shaft.

Unread 02-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #17
clmohn195
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishFury View Post
so official word from TLE is they will mount tires outside of stock if that size is already on the vehicle

(i wonder if i can get them to stretch that rule a little since my tires are 235/75r15 but the tire on the extra wheel i bought is a 30)

i'm going to have to call around to price out the mounting/balancing to figure out the total costs if i did go with the pumas

and BTW i have been checking CL... hardly anything in the size range i am looking at and everyone is just selling 4 and i want 5 (didn't buy the extra wheel just for ****s and giggles)
Ya I look at those tires and the ground hog are the best
clmohn195 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #18
AmishFury
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by haightjr View Post
Kinda off topic but you received your tax refund already? Who did you file with? The IRS just accepted my taxes yesterday that I filed with H&R block over a week ago. Waiting for my return so I can pick up a 4 inch lift, tires, and do the N242 transfer case swap with u-joint axle shafts and front drive shaft.
filed using turbo tax... and i e-filed on the 8th
AmishFury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #19
G-Man2
1996 ZJ 

What is the big deal about mounting non stock sizes? Why do retailers not want to do it? I didn't know it was a problem and when I buy tires i want to go up one size on my zj.
Thanks in advance for educating me.
G-Man2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #20
nickhay13
1998 ZJ 

Just a heads up I was browsing 4wheelparts yesterday and they were having a buy 3 get 1 free sale on ProComp tires.
Unread 02-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #21
AmishFury
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man2 View Post
What is the big deal about mounting non stock sizes? Why do retailers not want to do it? I didn't know it was a problem and when I buy tires i want to go up one size on my zj.
Thanks in advance for educating me.
i'm pretty sure it's just wal-mart.... it's an insurance thing and you can get around it by just bringing in your rims (though this can be tricky if you only have one vehicle)

pretty much any other place will put bigger tires on (though you may run into some common sense limits on tire size... like if you try to get them to put 35s on a stock ZJ)
Unread 02-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #22
clmohn195
1998 ZJ 

Quote:

i'm pretty sure it's just wal-mart.... it's an insurance thing and you can get around it by just bringing in your rims (though this can be tricky if you only have one vehicle)

pretty much any other place will put bigger tires on (though you may run into some common sense limits on tire size... like if you try to get them to put 35s on a stock ZJ)
U can do that but you won't have much wheel spacing on a stock zj we did that to my dads zj but we put 31 on it and u cant turn very well with with a factory lift on it to if you do put 35 on a stock zj u might want to get 3 inch budget booster before you do that
Unread 02-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #23
nickhay13
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmohn195 View Post
U can do that but you won't have much wheel spacing on a stock zj we did that to my dads zj but we put 31 on it and u cant turn very well with with a factory lift on it to if you do put 35 on a stock zj u might want to get 3 inch budget booster before you do that
If you try to squeeze 35's onto 3" of lift you are going to be doing some major cutting.
Unread 02-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #24
clmohn195
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhay13 View Post

If you try to squeeze 35's onto 3" of lift you are going to be doing some major cutting.
Ya there will be cutting in it but go for it
Unread 02-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #25
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

Quote:

I worked at a Wal-Mart TLE and it is an insurance thing. Wal-Marts are really inconstant though. My Wal-Mart sounds a lot like yours in what we would do and not do but not all Wal-Marts are the same. Some won't do carry ins. Some won't do anything but stock sizes no matter what the vehicle has on it. Some will only due non-stock sizes unless the vehicle has a lift kit. We had a guy transfer to our store and he could not believe we would put Goodyear Wrangler 2's on Dodge Durangos. Stock size tires but they are only rated to 35psi and Dodge Recomends 41psi in the rear tires.

Wal-Marts are like a box of chocolates...

Most other places will do what ever you want, within reason. Probably not gonna put 35's on your Civic.
MyKeyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #26
AmishFury
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyB View Post
Probably not gonna put 35's on your Civic.
maybe if this is the civic

Unread 02-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #27
AmishFury
1997 ZJ 

ok quick question... the treadwright pumas or grabber at2

i can find a crapton of reviews for the grabbers but almost nothing about the pumas... in fact looking for opinions on any treadwright that isn't the guard dog is not easy
Unread 02-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #28
clmohn195
1998 ZJ 

Quote:

i can find a crapton of reviews for the grabbers but almost nothing about the pumas... in fact looking for opinions on any treadwright that isn't the guard dog is not easy
The grabber at2
Unread 02-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #29
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

stay on topic of tires guys.

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #30
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Between the two, the grabbers. Retreads scare me.
Also look around locally. You may be able to find a nice off brand tire cheaper than you can get them at work with your discount. I bought some Trailmark M and S's 3 or 4 years ago in a 235 75 15 for a little over $220.00 for 4. I loved those tires!
MyKeyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.