new tire time - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > new tire time

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 01-31-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
AmishFury
1997 ZJ 

new tire time

tax refund was just deposited and it's about time i got these street tires off my jeep... i was looking at the treadwright ATGs but they seem to be out of stock (trying to add more than 1 tire to the cart tells you they are out of stock and no backorders through the site)

my ZJ is on stock wheels/suspension so i'm looking to go either 235/75r15 or 30x9.5x15

they have the puma in stock in 30s and i'm trying to find decent reviews on these

also looking at the Kumho Road Venture AT which i can get from wal-mart with my discount for about $30 more for 5 tires (for the 235s)

this is a DD and occasional weekend warrior... i want something that handles well on dry/wet pavement, doesn't fail massively in snow/slush, and bonus if it does well on ice... and at the same time i want decent off-road performance

i'm trying to keep it under $600 (shipped) for 5 tires... and at the same time if i can talk them into mounting them i can stretch it a little and get the grabber AT2s from WM with my discount (i trust the guys in my store's TLE but you know how walmart is about mounting non stock size tires)

so far

$524 shipped for the 30" pumas
$554 for the Kumho
$650 for the grabber AT2

the pumas i'll definitely need to take somewhere to have them mounted the Kumhos and Grabbers I might be able to convince them to mount at walmart (and since i'll be buying them from them the mounting/installation is free)

AmishFury is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

If you really want the Treadrights, just place an order over the phone.

Personally Id just creep on Craigslist every day looking for a deal.

If I were getting new 30" tires on a DD, Id get BFG ATs. There are better tires out there, but theyll last a VERY long time, perform well enough, are great on-road, and look good.
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
melk
1996 ZJ 

I've been running 30x9.5 Puma's for 35k+ miles now, 50 mile DD commute plus weekend warrior trail stuff and they are holding up great. Lots of tread left.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
BigClay
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I also like BFG ATs for a dual purpose rig. I actually put treadwright's "BFG AT tread pattern" tire on my tow rig.
Unread 01-31-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
JeepBeats96JGC
1996 ZJ 

I saw these while browsing for new tires. I have 235/75 BFG AT's on my ZJ and i want to go bigger. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
JeepBeats96JGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
Jeep318
1996 ZJ 

I have a set of cooper discoverer AT/3 and they Are fantastic tires. Ran me $680 for the set and they have a 55k mile guarantee.
Jeep318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

i went with firestone destination a/t in 30x9.5r15 from tirerack.com. with shipping it was just over $700, definately worth it IMO. good traction off road, quiet on road. i was able to save on the cost of mounting and balancing, did it myself in auto shop at school.
Unread 01-31-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
RevZJ
1996 ZJ 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Kenda-Klev...90099f&vxp=mtr
Unread 01-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevZJ View Post
definately would not buy this cheap, chinese made crap.
Unread 01-31-2013, 08:02 PM   #10
T-nave
1998 ZJ 

Craigslist is gonna be your friend for sure if you cant get the tread wrights.
Unread 01-31-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
AmishFury
1997 ZJ 

so official word from TLE is they will mount tires outside of stock if that size is already on the vehicle

(i wonder if i can get them to stretch that rule a little since my tires are 235/75r15 but the tire on the extra wheel i bought is a 30)

i'm going to have to call around to price out the mounting/balancing to figure out the total costs if i did go with the pumas

and BTW i have been checking CL... hardly anything in the size range i am looking at and everyone is just selling 4 and i want 5 (didn't buy the extra wheel just for ****s and giggles)
Unread 01-31-2013, 10:53 PM   #12
misterdent
Goin broke jeeping!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

We have a set of the Kumho road venture AT tires on the church bus I drive and while they are quiet I can't say they really work all that well off the pavement. Clog up with only minimal mud ( like mud from peoples driveways) and really clog with snow. 1/2 inch of white stuff will stop them with any incline. my two cents
misterdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:01 AM   #13
melk
1996 ZJ 

Just got this email from TreadWright about their new bead to bead process:

Bead-to-bead is a process of applying new rubber veneer to the tire sidewalls, significantly enhancing the tire’s cosmetic appearance and long-term performance.

The new bead-to-bead tires will have the TreadWright brand name on the sidewalls providing a customer with a cleaner and more consistent look. The new sidewall veneer provides additional benefit in that it further seals the tire improving the overall durability.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #14
AmishFury
1997 ZJ 

that doesn't help with the tires i was originally wanting being out of stock... and none of the bead to bead tires are available in a size i wouldn't need lift, wheels, or spacers to fit

sure if i had that kind of tax check i'd be all over those 31" b2b guard dogs... get them siped and add a BB and some wheel spacers and call it a day... or let me rephrase that... i'll throw duratracs on there and call it a day

as it is i'm starting to lean towards getting the grabbers... might just get 4 now then next month when my quarterly bonus comes in get the 5th one... stretch my tax check a little more
Unread 02-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #15
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

Check Amazon too. I was looking at tires over there the ther day and there were some pretty good deals.

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.