New timing chain...leave it stock or change the timing? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New timing chain...leave it stock or change the timing?

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!

Unread 05-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #16
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Dodge/jeep uses sequential multi port injection.
Fuel synch would not be nearly as critical if it didn't.
10* out of synch and you'll have higher end power issues and a rough idle. By 15* it'll start but you wont be able to drive it.

The snap on unit is just as expensive and few garages carry it or a drbiii.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #17
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Leave. It stock & get a SCT tune.
MN59ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #18
blown50
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey
Dodge/jeep uses sequential multi port injection.
Fuel synch would not be nearly as critical if it didn't.
10* out of synch and you'll have higher end power issues and a rough idle. By 15* it'll start but you wont be able to drive it.

The snap on unit is just as expensive and few garages carry it or a drbiii.
I stand corrected on the sequential injected, I was thinking of an older model, and as the reluctor ring only has one opening I was under the impression it was batch fire. I don't have a tuner for the obd 2 on a jeep. so I had no need to know. It's cheaper for me to go with a mega squirt computer than buy or build a tuner! However we seem to disagree on the 4 degree advance! I will agree that if the reluctor ring was a few degrees out of sync, then it might start to pose a problem. But if the reluctor ring was out of sync then I would think due to the small dizzy cap, there would also be rotor phase problems. Which could be mis diagnosed as a fuel sync problem. Any ho there is still so much to learn
blown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 04:13 AM   #19
homerx
1993 ZJ 

Sry I always confuise the 2 lol
homerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #20
SLOspeed
1996 ZJ 

To degree a cam, you need the "cam card" with all the opening and closing specs (specifically the timing at 0.050 lift). Does anyone here have one? I've never seen a cam card for a stock oem cam, ever, from any manufacturer. One of the reasons for using an aftermarket cam is that it's practically impossible to properly degree a stock cam, due to the lack of information.
SLOspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.