New timing chain...leave it stock or change the timing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New timing chain...leave it stock or change the timing?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

New timing chain...leave it stock or change the timing?

Hey guys...got a new Mopar double roller timing chain, and it has options to advance or retard the timing by 4 degree's either way.
Any benefits to doing either one, or should I just keep it stock?
I have the stock cam installed. Just curious if retarding it or advancing it will help with anything.
Thanks for the advice and guidance with this.

brewcity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
homerx
1993 ZJ 

Last i checked u can do eather. Retard would give better lower end power for say off roading. And advancing it would give a bit better top end. But if u are not working out the engine its more of a headach then its worth imo. Just my 2cents
homerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

"homerx' got it backwards, Advancing the cam for bottom end, retard for top end....
On a stock motor/cam I wouldn't mess with it.
96zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerx View Post
Last i checked u can do eather. Retard would give better lower end power for say off roading. And advancing it would give a bit better top end. But if u are not working out the engine its more of a headach then its worth imo. Just my 2cents
Yeah... that's what I was thinking. I just wasn't sure if there were any benefits to either. But if retarding the timing on the chain will result in a bit more low end power...that would be exactly what I would be looking for. What headaches would arise from advance or retard? Just trying to learn.
Thanks a lot for the help.
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96zedjay View Post
"homerx' got it backwards, Advancing the cam for bottom end, retard for top end....
On a stock motor/cam I wouldn't mess with it.
Oh...OK. Thanks....sounds like another vote for keep it stock.
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

For the best performance, you really should degree your cam. That way you can ensure that your camshaft and crankshaft are in sync with each other and make the most power from your stock cam (or any cam for that matter).

It's a fairly simple procedure that involves a little basic math, if you look it up online there are tons of how to's.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
For the best performance, you really should degree your cam. That way you can ensure that your camshaft and crankshaft are in sync with each other and make the most power from your stock cam (or any cam for that matter).

It's a fairly simple procedure that involves a little basic math, if you look it up online there are tons of how to's.
Sweet...thanks a lot! I'll do a search.
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
blown50
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Degreeing the cam is the only way to know for sure! Advancing the cam builds more cylinder pressure, which helps low end torque! But detonation can become a factor if you build too much! You can also run into valve to piston problems ( probably not on a jeep because of the piston relief) but on other motors that are marginal, problems can occur. I wouldn't build a motor without degree ing
blown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown50 View Post
Degreeing the cam is the only way to know for sure! Advancing the cam builds more cylinder pressure, which helps low end torque! But detonation can become a factor if you build too much! You can also run into valve to piston problems ( probably not on a jeep because of the piston relief) but on other motors that are marginal, problems can occur. I wouldn't build a motor without degree ing
OK...thanks for the help...so if I actually advance the cam using the +4 advance setting, I will get more low end torque, but could run into valve and piston problems?
I would love the low end torque boost...but don't want to hurt the engine in return, as I have the stock cam.
Is the +4 setting on the Mopar performance double roller timing chain set OK, or is that setting too much?
Also...with this Mopar chain set...do I actually have to go through the degreeing process...or is it all done for me due to the pre-configured settings (+4 or -4) on the gear?
Any help would be greatly appreciated....I certainly dont want to mess anything up, and tear down the engine again.
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
blown50
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcity1

OK...thanks for the help...so if I actually advance the cam using the +4 advance setting, I will get more low end torque, but could run into valve and piston problems?
I would love the low end torque boost...but don't want to hurt the engine in return, as I have the stock cam.
Is the +4 setting on the Mopar performance double roller timing chain set OK, or is that setting too much?
Also...with this Mopar chain set...do I actually have to go through the degreeing process...or is it all done for me due to the pre-configured settings (+4 or -4) on the gear?
Any help would be greatly appreciated....I certainly dont want to mess anything up, and tear down the engine again.
No motor is already done for you, due to crank key way differences, cam dowel differences along with a bunch of other variables no two motors will be the same! Put it strait up,or degree is the only options I would consider!
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #11
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
No motor is already done for you, due to crank key way differences, cam dowel differences along with a bunch of other variables no two motors will be the same! Put it strait up,or degree is the only options I would consider!
OK...thank you. I am a novice when it comes to this stuff.
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #12
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

degreeing the cam on these motors may cause issues with cam to crank sensor synch generation.

if you change the position of the cam vs crank you WILL need to have the distributor adjusted while the vehicle is hooked up to a dealer scan tool to set the fuel injector timing.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #13
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
degreeing the cam on these motors may cause issues with cam to crank sensor synch generation.

if you change the position of the cam vs crank you WILL need to have the distributor adjusted while the vehicle is hooked up to a dealer scan tool to set the fuel injector timing.
Ohhhh...OK. Thats great info! Thank you very much. Stock setting is what I am going with then.
I really appreciate it!
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #14
blown50
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey

Being that a jeep is batch fire and not sequential fuel injected, 4 degrees on the cam shouldn't matter. As the crank moves about 120 degrees from the time the injector has fired. And I have torn many motors apart that had a lot more than 4 degrees retard worn into the chain and gears, so I'm sure 8 degrees of crank rotation is not going to really make or break the way it runs. Also a snap-on Modis is capable of setting crank and cam sync
But if he's not going to spend the time to degree in a cam then strait up will suffice!
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #15
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Being that a jeep is batch fire and not sequential fuel injected, 4 degrees on the cam shouldn't matter. As the crank moves about 120 degrees from the time the injector has fired. And I have torn many motors apart that had a lot more than 4 degrees retard worn into the chain and gears, so I'm sure 8 degrees of crank rotation is not going to really make or break the way it runs. Also a snap-on Modis is capable of setting crank and cam sync
But if he's not going to spend the time to degree in a cam then strait up will suffice!
I would like to learn how to degree a cam...but it sounds over my head.
So I'll just stick to the stock settings.
Thanks for all the help!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.