New Steering Gear Box - 1 week later = easy power steering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New Steering Gear Box - 1 week later = easy power steering

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
3xX
1994 ZJ 

New Steering Gear Box - 1 week later = easy power steering

Last weekend, I replaced my steering gear box with a remanufactured one because it was leaking. After install, the power steering was smooth and had a comfortable firmness in moving the wheel. Very fluid and smooth. After about a week of driving around, I've noticed the steering has become much easier to move the wheel. Almost too easy - the steering is affected by slightest imperfections in the road.

I have checked and rechecked all components that I tinkered with, as well as every other steering component. Everything is torqued to spec. Any suggestions as to what I should be checking? The power steering is definitely doing it's job (too well if you ask me). If this isn't an issue, any ideas as to how to ease up the assistance of the power steering?

Thanks

Unread 10-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

You may just be experiencing what your ZJ steered like when it was brand-new...

ZJs from 1996 onwards had speed-sensitive power steering, so the faster you go, the less assistance you get. I don't know if you can swap that system into a 93-95 ZJ.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
3xX
1994 ZJ 

I see that you have a 93 ZJ. Is your power steering relatively easy compared to other vehicles? Of course I am comparing this to much different autos like 2001 Tahoe, 2000 S430, 2005 Altima. But their steering is nice and tight.

What exactly would cause the steering to be nice and firm after install, then loose a week later? Break in period?

Any ideas on modifications to stiffen up the power steering?

Thanks for the info about speed sensitive power steering.
Unread 10-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Check the steering box adjustment sticky in the FAQ section. Remanufactured boxes are known to loosen up quickly. Do you have a steering stabilizer on it? Or have you replaced it?
Unread 10-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
3xX
1994 ZJ 

I'll check the gear adjustment. I've known about that, didn't think I'd have to do it to a new/reman box though. Thanks

Yes, new SS about 4 months ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.