New rear suspension clunk... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New rear suspension clunk...

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdPoison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring Harness

Unread 01-25-2014, 07:37 AM   #1
BackRoadSeeker
1997 ZJ 

New rear suspension clunk...

Another day, another noise...

I'm in the process currently of refreshing my Jeep's suspension, and it's fighting me every step of the way. The current issue I'm having is a clunk over slight bumps in the rear (sounds like the passenger's side, I THINK it's the rear but it's hard to tell).

Here's what I've replaced thus far:
  1. 2" BB and Rough Country N2.0 shocks - they are the right length, already verified that.
  2. New Moog front sway bar bushings and new front greasable sway bar links. Haven't added the grease yet...
  3. New Moog rear sway bar bushings.
  4. New rear tailgate bump stops (mine were literally gone and almost metal on metal)

I drove the Jeep around after installing the rear bushings first, and it handled like a dream; nice and quiet and tight. It was only AFTER I added the front sway bar stuff that I started getting the clunks. To be fair, it's been cold as balls out here, -5 *F yesterday with the windchill.

Looking for some insight here. Once I get a semi nice day, I'll jack it up and have a feel around for any weak points. The fact that the clunk appeared so suddenly leads me to think it isn't front/rear track bar or control arm issues. No death wobble/tracking issues with the BB installed either.

Thanks folks!

BackRoadSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 07:52 AM   #2
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Few things to look at . Make sure your endlinks on the rear are not broke . Mine snapped right off , and clunks on small bumps . Just a few push/pulls on the bar each side , you will soon know if an issue .

Shock bolts loose ? I slide under on my dolly , push up and down and look at the shock bushings . Had this issue too , same small bump clunk .

Inner splash shields , rear bumper cover , hatch can all have clunks . Couple love taps here and there , worth a check .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 08:00 AM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I have a clunk in the rear pass side too. It's not inside the truck definitely under. It's not over bumps though. Mine happens under 25MPH when I give it gas then let off. Sounds like something metal sliding forward about an inch. Too cold to take the wheel off though. I am suspecting a rear shock, possibly rear drive shaft needs to be greased at the slip yoke, or maybe something with the brakes. I won't know until I take it all apart and look. I'm starting with the shock.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 08:02 AM   #4
BackRoadSeeker
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
Few things to look at . Make sure your endlinks on the rear are not broke . Mine snapped right off , and clunks on small bumps . Just a few push/pulls on the bar each side , you will soon know if an issue .

Shock bolts loose ? I slide under on my dolly , push up and down and look at the shock bushings . Had this issue too , same small bump clunk .

Inner splash shields , rear bumper cover , hatch can all have clunks . Couple love taps here and there , worth a check .
Yup, I was thinking possibly the shock bolts; pretty close to ripping off or at least trimming the hell out of the inner splash shields, they make any kind of work with the tires on next to impossible. Any reason NOT to do this? They can't do that much....this is a truck that'll be washed underneath regularly. Already trimmed away around the front sway bar connectors.

I'm hoping a nice poke around will help me track down the issue... I also need to tinker around with the hatch bump stop bolts, they seem to be a tad too far out now, VIC said it was open yesterday and I really had to slam it to get it to shut up.
Unread 01-26-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
BackRoadSeeker
1997 ZJ 

Update, nailed it! It was a loose rear shock. I re-torqued it to spec and all is well again (for now.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.