A New Project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > A New Project

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
stmprnch

A New Project

It looks like there is going to be Jeep project break out in Dallas, Oregon.

Last December something in the overdrive broke in my tranny so we have been limping along with other vehicles until the stars lined up better. Now the ZJ is parked in position and ready to start draining fluids and begin a serious tear down.

To me, it makes no sense to put a fresh tranny in behind of a 225K motor, so the engine will meet the machinist and the tranny get some serious thought. I have always thought that the ZJ would be a better rig with the manual tranny so I might end up that direction before it runs again.

I'm not a rock crawler or mountain climber so don't see any major lift work coming, but I would sure like to improve the factory suspension. The corner roll and break dive has always been a bit of a dissapointment. I drive a Saab and have wondered if four wheel disc brakes and stiffer sway bars on the jeep wouldn't be a solid improvement.

I don't see me spending a ton of money on the motor but since I'm going to be into it I think that the heads will get some polish time, I would like to find a better than stock cam, first over pistons and deck the head and it should be a solid improvement for reasonable expense.

Lots of work, lots of fun, if I could find someone else to write the checks I'd be in tall cotton.

ANY input on this project is welcome. Things like cam specs or anybody that has experimented with injector options, rear disk brakes or manual tranny conversions please chime in or send me an email direct, now's the time for me to gather as much info as I can find.

Thanks everybody.

Ron
oregonxv@juno.com

stmprnch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

there's an ax-15 swap thread linked in the faq's. it's almost all off the shelf parts for a 93.(except the pedals, which are super hard to come by)

stroke the 4.0 to 4.7, if you're gonna be putting in for head, block, and piston work you may as well take the next logical step and throw a 4.2 crank and rods at it.

rear discs are easy and i'd personally just say get a 96-98 d44a from behind a v8 grand.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
Spike300
1993 ZJ 

yea 4 di s brakes are awesome, i love how they feel. I put a 44a in my 93. Great!

5.2-242 tcase-44a-30x9.50x15 MT/R-American Racing Burst Rims -[COLOR="Red"]Optima[/COLOR] -E3 plugs-[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Cu[/COLOR]st[COLOR="DarkGreen"]om[/COLOR] Pa[COLOR="DarkGreen"]in[/COLOR]t-Amsoil-Addco Front and Rear-polyurethane bushings

[B]To be installed[/B]: RE gen2 discos, military battery terminals
[B]To be rebuilt:[/B] HP30
[B]To be received:[/B]
[B]To be paid for:[/B]

[B]Next on the list:[/B] complete redo of brakes and
lines
[B]Needed:[/B] fittings, coil of brake tubing, Russel speed bleeders

Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #75
Spike300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
stmprnch

Drive Line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
there's an ax-15 swap thread linked in the faq's. it's almost all off the shelf parts for a 93.(except the pedals, which are super hard to come by)

stroke the 4.0 to 4.7, if you're gonna be putting in for head, block, and piston work you may as well take the next logical step and throw a 4.2 crank and rods at it.

rear discs are easy and i'd personally just say get a 96-98 d44a from behind a v8 grand.
Would the d44a swap require a new drive line or ring and pinion?

Sounds like you've been here, with the 4.2 crank and rods do you have a cam recommendation? Is there a reliable online source for the crank and rods?

Thanks

Ron
stmprnch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.