new process gear 247j tc - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > new process gear 247j tc

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 07-18-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
anotherbasscat
1999 WJ 

new process gear 247j tc

ok ,here it is . i have a 99 gc 4.7 quadradrive the tc is going out. from the reports i've read the 247j is junk(highdollar junk). i read somewhere that you can modify or change tranfer case out. any help would be great. thanks

anotherbasscat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
Windowsrookie
2000 WJ 

You've read wrong, the 247 is a great transfer case. What do you mean it's "Going out". The 247 with proper fluid changes should outlast the engine and transmission.
Unread 07-18-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
Windowsrookie
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherbasscat View Post
ok ,here it is . i have a 99 gc 4.7 quadradrive the tc is going out. from the reports i've read the 247j is junk(highdollar junk). i read somewhere that you can modify or change tranfer case out. any help would be great. thanks
I just got a Private message from this guy. He was a real prick about my previous post. He sent me a link to 1 website that has a 1 paragraph summery saying the 247 "Can be problematic".

So one website says it can be problematic and all of the sudden it's a terrible transfer case? The only reason you would ever have a problem with it is if you put the wrong fluid in it (or didn't change the fluid).
Unread 07-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
anotherbasscat
1999 WJ 

the 247j tc is junk

i see why you are pro 247. YOU HAVE A 2000 GC for sale.( wonder why). anyway i said from the start i was checking what options i had. your the one that came running like the jeep police. besides i wonder why they only put them in the 1999 and 2000's. hum, must be junk.
Unread 07-18-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

it is a good awd transfercase, the only thing that goes wrong with it is the progressive coupler can wear out if you use the wrong fluid or don't change it at the recommended interval.

and fyi anotherbasscat, jeep is still using the 247 and 147 transfercases, they weren't only in two years. i'd say 9+ years is a good model run.

anyways, what exactly is your case doing that it's going out? has the fluid been changed recently?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

He must have read your sig. and thought you were listing the jeeps for sale.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2008, 02:05 AM   #7
FearTheDentist
Just a suggestion...

2004 WJ 

Wow basscat- looks to me like you're getting off on the wrong foot here. Lots of good people here to help you out, but keep up the attitude and you might find the help pretty scarce...

Anyway- to answer your question...

I've been reading up quite a bit on this (read I haven't actually done a swap, so get confirmation on what I'm saying)- I blew out my VC and am thinking of swapping out the 247 for something w\ a 2WD option (ie 231 or 242, maybe even an Atlas).
First- what's wrong with your TC? Most common failure seems to be the viscous coupler. I found a write-up a while back on replacing this- didn't look too hard. Do a search and see what you find. If this is your DD and you're not doing a lot of rock crawling or other heavy offroading, repairing your existing TC is probably your best bet. Most WJ's out there are running the 247 w\o problems- don't let one bad experience w\ this TC burn you on it. The VC is a pain when it goes, but most people don't have trouble with it.

If you're set on replacing it, it looks like the 242 is a direct bolt-in replacement if you can find one. If you really beat on it, the 231 is reputed to be beefier than the 242, but there's a bit more to the install. I found write-ups for both of these on other sites, a little searching should turn them up. The 231 also has greater aftermarket support, such as a 4:1 kit and I think I read about a twin-stick kit somewhere or another as well.

IIRC, JF doesn't like us posting links to other sites, but a google search should turn up all the info you need for either swap.

Good luck.
Unread 07-19-2008, 05:58 AM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

the np247 doesn't have a viscous coupler, it has a progressive coupler, and most people wouldn't know when it goes out as it reverts to 2wd mode only.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2008, 10:52 AM   #9
FearTheDentist
Just a suggestion...

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
the np247 doesn't have a viscous coupler, it has a progressive coupler, and most people wouldn't know when it goes out as it reverts to 2wd mode only.
Interesting- I've repeatedly seen it referred to as a viscous coupler, even in parts catalogs, but looks like you're right. Unless I'm completely mis-diagnosing, mine appears to have been sticking for some time, keeping power to the front wheels full time. Now that it appears to have gone out I don't hop in slow speed turns (I always blamed my Aussie before) and my gas mileage jumped substantially. Thanks for the correction!

BTW- JPMagazine has a fairly decent write-up on a WJ 247-231 swap.

Last edited by FearTheDentist; 07-19-2008 at 11:08 AM..
FearTheDentist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2008, 11:42 AM   #10
Windowsrookie
2000 WJ 

The 249 uses a VC, and it eventually fails. The 247 uses a PC and shouldn't fail as long as you change the fluid with the correct 247 fluid as recommended.
Unread 07-19-2008, 01:29 PM   #11
anotherbasscat
1999 WJ 

thanks for all the help. im just going from what i read, if im going to repair this jeep i wont to do it with the best possible parts.if changing the tc out with another is the best route then that is what ill do. if rebuliding the 247 is best,then thats what ill do. thanks again. ps windowsrookie came at me pretty aggressive ,just a natural response.
Unread 07-19-2008, 01:47 PM   #12
Windowsrookie
2000 WJ 

I just received another mature Private Message from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherbasscat
don't cry like a girl,someone will buy your jeep.
And again, I'm not selling my Jeep.
Unread 07-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #13
txtumbleweed
2000 WJ 

Question

Basscat - why do believe your 247 TC is going bad? The key to long life of the 247 is regular (MOPAR fluid) fluid change (every 30K or so). I'm am 132K and it works pretty flawless. I would start with a simple fluid change (MOPAR part number 5016796B, 2quarts) before spending big bucks for a TC swap or major repair.
Unread 02-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #14
jeep4x436

247j tc

ive got a 1999 gc jeep and the tc is poping and loud roar so i need to find one to replace it so where is a good website that i could find one
jeep4x436 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.