New power steering pump and pressure hose, now excessive pump noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New power steering pump and pressure hose, now excessive pump noise

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 03-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
Jeeples
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

New power steering pump and pressure hose, now excessive pump noise

So I replaced the power steering pump and the high pressure hose on my fiance's Jeep. The old pump had a small crack in the resevoir and the pressure hose leaked on the pump side fitting as well.

Aside from not having the fan clutch side of the pressure hose completely tightened, everything went pretty smooth. Immediately upon start up there was a lot of pump noise, which quieted down a bit after the fluid circulated throughout the system. However there is definitely a good amount of noise coming from the pump, higher RPM's and turning to full lock only makes the sound worse.

I'm no stranger to working on cars, and to me it sounds a lot like a bad bearing in the pump, and it certainly is possible to have purchased a bad unit straight out of the box. I wanted to make sure I used the right fluid, so I originally purchased some from the local dealer.

My only concern is that in the past, other dealer's have given us the MOPAR Power Steering Fluid +4 to use, and it had worked just fine. This time however the dealer gave me MOPAR branded power steering fluid. Even on the back of the bottle is says for use in 2004 and older Jeep Grand Cherokee's, and 1998 and older Chrysler vehicles.

I would much rather flush the system then go through and order a new pump and swap it out. Which is the correct fluid to use? Any other thoughts on what this could be?

Thanks!

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
SpeedyCat3
Survivor

1997 ZJ 

I remember that when changing a P/S pump and reservoir a long time ago, I had to cycle the steering both ways a couple of times while adding fluid to eliminate the bubbles.
It could still have some air in the system, since you disconnected all the lines, the fluid leaked all out from it.
At full steering lock they always make noise, some more than others.
[] ---o-[]

My 97 ZJ Build

Last edited by SpeedyCat3; 03-02-2008 at 08:42 PM..
SpeedyCat3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2008, 08:23 PM   #3
Jeeples
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Right, I understand that the pump will be noisier at full lock, but this sounds like a resevoir full of marbles, definitely not the 'strained' pump noise that is common at full lock.

Perhaps I'll drain the system again and try turning the wheels while adding fluid. I simply topped off the resevoir and with the wheels off the ground, turned lock to lock 10 times upon initial startup.

Unread 03-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #4
SpeedyCat3
Survivor

1997 ZJ 

Maybe there are some marbles inside....
You sure nothing dropped in there...
[] ---o-[]

My 97 ZJ Build
Unread 03-02-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
Upside
2002 WJ 

You need to bleed the system. Most shop manuals require you to turn the wheels lock to lock 40 times with the wheels off the ground as a bleeding procedure. Any air in the system will cause a lot of noise.

On one vehicle I had a noisy pump that wouldn't quiet down no matter what I did so I ended up replacing it with another new one.
Upside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Any power steering fluid will work just as well as Mopar stuff.

It might appear that you purchased a bad “new” pump. Turning the wheel both directions many times, is a necessary as Upside stated. I do this with the engine off and the vehicle jacked up and the cap off the reservoir.

My power steering reservoir has a fine crack in it as well (for the past year now)

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2008, 09:05 PM   #7
SpeedyCat3
Survivor

1997 ZJ 

I believe mine has a crack too, since It leaks and have not been able to find where from.
Not to highjack..
Just as a curiosity, is there another steering box that can be used as a chep upgrade for the stock ZJ.
I'd like to get rid of some play, and at the same time upgrade a bit if possible.
[] ---o-[]

My 97 ZJ Build
Unread 03-02-2008, 09:42 PM   #8
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I believe mine has a crack too, since It leaks and have not been able to find where from.
Mine leaks at the seam of the two halves, if that helps.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

Unread 03-03-2008, 12:43 AM   #9
Jeeples
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upside View Post
You need to bleed the system. Most shop manuals require you to turn the wheels lock to lock 40 times with the wheels off the ground as a bleeding procedure. Any air in the system will cause a lot of noise.

On one vehicle I had a noisy pump that wouldn't quiet down no matter what I did so I ended up replacing it with another new one.
Ok, I'll give that a shot tomorrow, hopefully I just didn't get the system bled very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasefingers View Post
Any power steering fluid will work just as well as Mopar stuff.

It might appear that you purchased a bad “new” pump. Turning the wheel both directions many times, is a necessary as Upside stated. I do this with the engine off and the vehicle jacked up and the cap off the reservoir.

My power steering reservoir has a fine crack in it as well (for the past year now)

I figured as much once I saw the MOPAR spec rating on the bottle, but like I said, I had been given the MOPAR Power Steering Fluid +4 from a different dealer, which made me concerned about the fluid type.

I'm still hoping that the system just needs to be bled, but if I have to, I can pickup another pump under warranty.

Unread 03-03-2008, 12:46 AM   #10
Jeeples
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
Her's had a small crack on one of plastic nipples for the return line, most likely caused when the fluid was last serviced. It was also leaking from the pump side fitting on the high pressure line, which MOPAR fixed with an updated pressure hose.

I wouldn't have messed with it, if it wasn't for the fact the leak was getting progressively worse.

Unread 03-03-2008, 08:13 AM   #11
JayJEEPguy
2004 WJ 

Are you sure you don't need the special hydraulic fluid/power steering fluid? My '04 calls for it due to the hydraulic fan setup.

It cost a few dollars more per quart. I believe the part number is listed on the www.wjjeeps.com website.
'02 WJ:4.7L, Selec-Trac. Totalled 9-12-07. Click to hearKolak 3" exhaust sound clip
http://www.cardomain.com/id/MourningWoody
JayJEEPguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2008, 07:03 PM   #12
Jeeples
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

I called up a couple dealers and talked with a couple different techs, they all confirmed that standard MOPAR Power Steering fluid is what is required, regardless of the style of cooling fan.

The vehicle sat overnight and I double checked for leaks, after taking it for a short ride on some nearby roads, everything is nice and quiet. I assume the system wasn't completely bled and that's where my pump noise was coming from.

Went ahead and replaced the serp belt as well, since it still had MOPAR numbers written on it.

Unread 03-04-2008, 07:17 PM   #13
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

If the power steering fluid is coupled to the hydraulic fan, which mine is not, then I would absolutely stick with the OEM stuff; as mixing fluid types in this situation be detrimental! I did not realize the some Jeeps did this. Thanks, Jeeples, for pointing this out. The common sealed (and not shared) hydraulic or viscous-coupled fan, has silicone oil in it.

Unread 03-15-2011, 04:29 PM   #14
VTZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
So I replaced the power steering pump and the high pressure hose on my fiance's Jeep...Immediately upon start up there was a lot of pump noise, which quieted down a bit after the fluid circulated throughout the system. However there is definitely a good amount of noise coming from the pump, higher RPM's and turning to full lock only makes the sound worse.

Any other thoughts on what this could be?
Was this a rebuilt pump from a parts store by any chance? I have been disappointed with the rebuilt units (like James Dean, they live fast and die young). Next time I replace mine, I'm pulling one from a boneyard ZJ with a tow package.
Unread 03-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #15
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Have had some problems with cardone. Resevoir leaked on first one. Wound up getting one without a resevoir and using my old one. Also I would run it awhile and take a suction gun and pull some of the fluid out ,putting in new until the fluid stays clean. My gearbox had some nasty in it.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.