Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

<--New owner of a '98 JGC Ltd.

877 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  MatrixRooster 
#1 ·
Hey there everyone ;) I probably don't know any of you, unless your in an Oldsmobile forum (Alero or W-body!).. I just bought one of these vehciles (truck/SUV/utility vehicle? whatever is Politically correct, lol). My wife and I have wanted one for years, and are happy to be owners of one at last! I haven't really read up much on them in forums (like this one) but they have proven highly valuable for my other cars.

While I will troll through the message base on this, I did want to talk about one problem (mentioned below) and also ask you all to post/send me some of the common problems of these rides ;) It seems to run pretty solid, but being a strick Oldsmobile owner, I really never followed "issues" of anything else. This way I'll have a better idea of what to look for. It's greatly appreciated!

Now on to the problem. While I got a god deal, and can't complain, there is (of course) a problem with it. (a few minor ones, actually)

1. The button to "pop" the window open is not popping the window open.
2. The rear wiper doesn't move (even feels very stiff when I tried to "force it" a bit. Don't know if that's normal, lol) The wiper fluid, however DOES work properly. I checked the fuses, though the book and the fuse panel didn't seem to match exactly.
3. The back lid opens ok when the the remote is used to lock/unlock - but the key itself seems to only go in 1/2 way or so - and does not turn. I've seen some vehicles with gates like that and when the key was in one position the window could open, and when in the other, it would not. I didn't note any mention of a system like that on the Jeep, just seemed to be either locked or unlocked.

As you can see, all three items are somewhat related.. I did check the tow wires for power, as the book mentions that the tow lamps and rear window are possibly in the same circuit, and the tow lamp wire does work, 12volts comin out of it when lights are on ;)

Overall, I must say we're very happy with the vehicle. That said, thanks in advance for any advice, comment, or suggestion you may have!!

Rooster
a.k.a. MatrixRooster (I can't believe my Rooster nick was taken!!)

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Rooster! Welcome to the forum. Lots of good information here and a lot of good people to talk with. I'll try to answer your questions or at least give my thoughts/opionions. You will have to take some pictures and post them in the "Registry section". Do you plan on wheeling your jeep or just using it for a daily driver? Oh, the proper word is "Jeep" not truck, SUV, and especially not "car". This will save you a few flames. :D :D

MatrixRooster said:

1. The button to "pop" the window open is not popping the window open.
2. The rear wiper doesn't move (even feels very stiff when I tried to "force it" a bit. Don't know if that's normal, lol) The wiper fluid, however DOES work properly. I checked the fuses, though the book and the fuse panel didn't seem to match exactly.
3. The back lid opens ok when the the remote is used to lock/unlock - but the key itself seems to only go in 1/2 way or so - and does not turn. I've seen some vehicles with gates like that and when the key was in one position the window could open, and when in the other, it would not. I didn't note any mention of a system like that on the Jeep, just seemed to be either locked or unlocked.

Rooster
a.k.a. MatrixRooster (I can't believe my Rooster nick was taken!!)
1. The ZJ (1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokees) seems to have a common problem with the wiring harness that goes into the drivers door. First, the door gets open more than all of the others, then there is more wiring for the driver controls. Pull the rubber boot back that you can find between the door and the door frame when the door is open. Check to see if any of the wires are broken. You did not say which window was not opening. I am assuming you mean the drivers window.

2. For the rear wiper, check the motor by suppling 12 volts to it directly. If it will not work it is probably bad. If it does work then the problem is probably the controller or the switch up by the driver.

3. It sounds like your rear key lock is dirty. If the key only goes in half way it could be that someone has stuck something in there and broken it off. Try some lock graphite to see if that helps clean up the lock. Spray some in and then work the key in to see if it will go in farther. You may be able to loosen everything up with just the graphite. If not, you may need to remove the lock and clean or replace it.

#3 ·
Hey there ;) Tnx for the reply ;) I'll post some pics as soon as I get em! Previous owner did some nice things already, which I will at some point enhance on. The Jeep :))) is in fact my daily driver - Really it was supposed to be my winter beater. See, I also have a Cutlass Supreme Convertible that stays garaged during the winters here in Ohio. I got tired of buying $200-500 'beaters' so I went looking for something a little better. We test drove a '95 Explorer and then while returning it to the lot (not too satisfied, by the way) we saw the Jeep. It was a little more than we were going to spend on a 'beater' but quickly after driving it we dumped the phrase beater, lol! I now own 3 nice cars, not 2 nice cars and a beater!! As far as add-ons, it's not a whole lot, but it sure makes it stick out around here. He (she?) added a cab visor and Nerf bars (I think that's what their called!). It has pretty much every feature that's mentioned in the book, all which work fine, except those mentioned.. Which brings us to your reply ;0

1. Sorry I didn't know the technical wording, but the window that doesn't "pop" open is the rear/back window, not a passenger door window. There's a button directly above the license plate that is supposed to pop open the window - It's there, but pushing it does nothing :(

2. I'll try and and get back with ya on it.

3. Same as #2 ;) Though I've never removed a lock before, I don't mind doing it. I don't think the graphite will do anything, as I suspect there is something wedged in there. The part of the lock that covers the hole slides back straight when you insert the key. Even when I pushed that cover back with a thin piece of metal it only went so far before meeting whatever it is that prevents it from moving.

Thanks,
Rooster

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.