New Niner Seems Sluggish - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New Niner Seems Sluggish

Win a $250 Gift Card to ZoneOffroad.com - 4th of July FaceRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-20-2015, 11:12 PM   #1
dallas121469
1998 ZJ 

New Niner Seems Sluggish

Purchased a new to me '98 5.9 and while driving it just doesn't seem to have the get up and go of my older 5.9. The only non stock item on my older 5.9 is a K&N air filter. It does have 31" tires but drive train is otherwise stock. It also has 256k miles The newer one has a flowmaster muffler which I'm not thrilled with but otherwise seems stock with only 120k miles. I will change all the filters and the plugs but other than that what could be causing this sluggish "feeling"?

Could I swap the computer or some other part to see if it is causing it?

I've not had any power problems with my old one so I'm a bit stumped.

I believe previous owner replaced the map sensor recently. Would a map sensor from a 5.2 liter be the same or could it possibly be the problem?

dallas121469 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2015, 03:18 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas121469 View Post
Purchased a new to me '98 5.9 and while driving it just doesn't seem to have the get up and go of my older 5.9. The only non stock item on my older 5.9 is a K&N air filter. It does have 31" tires but drive train is otherwise stock. It also has 256k miles The newer one has a flowmaster muffler which I'm not thrilled with but otherwise seems stock with only 120k miles. I will change all the filters and the plugs but other than that what could be causing this sluggish "feeling"?

Could I swap the computer or some other part to see if it is causing it?

I've not had any power problems with my old one so I'm a bit stumped.

I believe previous owner replaced the map sensor recently. Would a map sensor from a 5.2 liter be the same or could it possibly be the problem?
It might have the death flash.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2015, 07:55 AM   #3
TreeFeather
1995 ZJ 

How can you not be thrilled with a flowmaster muffler? Its way better than that stock pos that rots off once every two years. Granted if its a 40 series I can see it being loud. Do the usual checks tune up plenum check etc..
Mine was really sluggish when my plenum was leaking. A crappy cat will do it too.
TreeFeather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2015, 08:49 AM   #4
dallas121469
1998 ZJ 

Fixes

I use this as a daily driver and the flowmaster is too loud and the in/outs were too big for the factory pipes so it looks ridiculous. Not my main issue though. lol

1. How to figure out if it has the "death flash"? And is it reversible? Swap PCM's temporarily?

2. I've run other vehicles without cats. Is it possible with the 5.9? I know there is a sensor after the cat so thats why i'm asking.

3. I've read about the plenum gasket and other than oil consumption, loss of power and poor mileage is there a way to diagnose this issue without driving the vehicle? Not insuring, registering or driving it until I get everything fixed.
Unread 06-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #5
dallas121469
1998 ZJ 

Damn.

After posting my reply and then checking my PCM it appears that it has the "death flash". There is a sticker that says "authorized software update" on the core support. This makes me very sad. lol. I hate when people do stupid **** like this. You knew when you bought it that it used premium and got crappyy mileage!!!! Just wish I would have known about death flash before purchasing it. Could have talked him down a bit more. Now to find my solution.
Unread 06-21-2015, 09:18 AM   #6
TreeFeather
1995 ZJ 

Okay the cat yes you can remove the cat without a check engine light but we don't recommend things like that on this forum. (its against the rules) I have seen people remove the filters from there cats. But like I said (against the rules) you can check your plenum by looking down your throttle body with a flashlight (with the throttle open) If you see oil or burnt oil its bad. reguardless check the plenum because its very common and can ruin that 5.9.
Unread 06-21-2015, 09:26 AM   #7
dallas121469
1998 ZJ 

Apologies.

I keep answering my own questions. Sounds like going back to a Jeep dealer is expensive and time consuming. I read that an aftermarket tuner is a possibility so will just look into those options.
Unread 06-21-2015, 10:52 AM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I keep answering my own questions. Sounds like going back to a Jeep dealer is expensive and time consuming. I read that an aftermarket tuner is a possibility so will just look into those options.
The only tuner worth a damn is the SCT tuner Flyin Ryan writes tunes for. Google him. He's on the speed freaks and Dodge forums.

Although his tunes are great, it might be less expensive for the dealer to reflash your PCM to the stock tune since you would need to buy the hand held unit and the o2 sensor for data logging with the SCT as well as the tune price.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2015, 10:55 AM   #9
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
If they could reflash it back normal it shouldnt cost more than 1 hour labor. Can these be reflashed? Its a hell of a lot cheaper than any tuner.
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2015, 11:35 AM   #10
dallas121469
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the input. I'll call the local Jeep dealer on monday and find out.
Unread 06-21-2015, 03:09 PM   #11
RWC

Just because you have an authorized software update doesn't mean it's death-flashed. There were two or three other updates unrelated to the timing map. I think one was for the MAP sensor, and the other was emissions related.
RWC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2015, 05:55 PM   #12
TreeFeather
1995 ZJ 

Mine says it was flashed in 99.doesnt say why or for what.
Unread 06-21-2015, 09:03 PM   #13
dallas121469
1998 ZJ 

Is there a way to determine what was done to the PCM?
Unread 06-21-2015, 09:57 PM   #14
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

If you have numbers along with any info on your sticker you may be able to find some info out in this speedfreaks thread.

http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...ll-of-them!%29

There's some info on TSB at the end and thought it was interesting where they said in the middle of the thread SCT could over-write the Cali flash.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2015, 11:52 PM   #15
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The death flash isn't bad if you're still running premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.