New Mystery Sound - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New Mystery Sound

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 03-19-2014, 10:42 PM   #1
misfit77
1996 ZJ 

New Mystery Sound

See if you guys can help.

I just started getting this noise in my 3.5" lifted 96 ZJ with 4.0.
I have removed the PS pump about 4 times and this last time I did not put the snorkel on the air box. No other work has been done in the last month or more.

The sound is like a metallic rattle or a whistling. It starts around 30 mph but gets loudest around 55mph. The frequency does not change with speed. This makes me to think its not a bearing or U-joint. Going to neutral and revving does not change the sound. This causes me to rule out a belt, PS pump or such.
Pressing the brakes does not make the noise change. So probably not the brake pads

The noise is the easiest to hear at the beginning of the video. Sorry about the wind noise.

misfit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
copengrizz01
1997 ZJ 

i had a similar noise while driving and it was the washer thing that goes over the axle nut. id check for loose bolts or anything loose. its prolly something simple
copengrizz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Sounds like a bad bearing.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #4
misfit77
1996 ZJ 

I was afraid it was the bearing.

I am used to bearings have a low rumble and the rumble goes away when you put a load on the wheel by turning the wheel.
Unread 03-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

That's just an internet opinion from a windy video. I don't know what it is. I hope you post it when you find out.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
misfit77
1996 ZJ 

I won't be buying a bearing just yet. I have a dam power steering battle for now. Maybe if I'm lucky the squeal will go away.
Unread 03-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Below is some info on bearing/gear noise. I have a pinion bearing going out and it makes a real high-pitched whine particularly noticeable on the freeways. But yours doesn't quite sound the same and sounds more like something's loose. Maybe try jacking it up and spin the wheels to make sure it's not brake related. Even a loose metal-to-metal ebrake shoe could be making a noise like that. Just a thought and good luck.
gear-bearing-noise-med-size-.-p.3-3.jpg  

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 09:35 PM   #8
misfit77
1996 ZJ 

Thanks to Uniblurb, I gave it try to diagnose front pinion bearing. Well it wasn't the bearing.
After putting it in 4wd, I got a clunky sound. I had this before but it would easily go always as soon as I put it back in 2wd.
This time it would not stop going clunky clunky. Took a look and my front drive shaft was sloppy.

Took it apart and my centering yoke was worn out and dry.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I never seen this nor did I know the name of it. After and hour of research I bought a new centering yoke and 3 U-joints.
An hour or two, problem solved.

Thanks guys.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.