New Muffler - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New Muffler

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 11-25-2012, 12:15 AM   #16
nicklopic
1998 ZJ 

Its pretty much a pipe with a few metal pockets that stick out and its considered a muffler lol

It would be loud as hell

Unread 11-25-2012, 01:42 AM   #17
jeepinbassist
1995 ZJ 

Nevermind about what they do but you still need the cat on it right?
jeepinbassist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2012, 07:00 AM   #18
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Yes, even if you don't have one because you or someone else took it off, a catalytic converter is required. JF policy is to close any thread that discusses removal of the cat.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #19
Joeyicu
1998 ZJ 

That is very communist of the forum, but I see how it is a good idea on the forums part

bottom line with catalytic converts are, that you will not net any gains from removing it. The back pressure a high flow cat offers gains you power vs a straight pipe in any situation. That coupled with the loss of mpg, because your trucks check engine line will come on, and the ecu will run in open loop safe mode all the time, its stupid to do such a thing.

I like the 18" pipe muffler I have. I have a 318 though, I dont know if I would recommend this on a 4.0, it may get a bit tiney and ricey of a sound going on.

my video, don't mind the brake noise, they where wet and I was being cautious. Thats an 18" pipe where the muffler once was, everything else stock. No power gains that I know of, just noise, but oh so good noise.
Unread 11-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #20
torchd
1998 ZJ 

I have a 4.SLOW like you, I love how my MaganFlow Cat and MagnaFlow muffler sound. Also my whole exhaust set up is all 2.5" from my header to my tail pipe.

I need to get new exhuast vids. Since the exhaust has now broken in, it got a tad louder and a lot deeper.

[b][color=red]2002 Trans Am[/b][/color]
Cam, Full Exhaust, Stock Heads, Stock LS6 Intake and Stock 10 bolt with 3.42s
[b]420 RWHP and 382 RWHTQ[/b]
torchd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #21
jeepinbassist
1995 ZJ 

What is the stock muffler tubing size on the 4.0?
Unread 11-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #22
jeepinbassist
1995 ZJ 

I just picked up the magnaflow glasspack. Decided to go with it because from videos I watched they sound good and it was only thirty bucks and pep boys. I also don't really care what my neighbors think. Especially because they already put up with this jack*** that lives across the street and he doesn't even have a muffler.
Unread 11-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #23
nicklopic
1998 ZJ 

2.25" is factory
Unread 11-26-2012, 01:15 AM   #24
jeepinbassist
1995 ZJ 

That will make it a lot easier to put the glasspack on. It's basically a direct weld on. Just a little cutting and bending.
Unread 11-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #25
jeepinbassist
1995 ZJ 

Just got the glasspack on. The only thing I had to buy was three clamps and an adapter. So the whole thing only cost me about $40 and it sounds awesome. Nice low tone that isn't annoyingly loud at idle and it's really loud and powerful sounding when I rev it. I've already noticed an increase in power. Now I'm thinking about adding a cold air intake.
Unread 11-29-2012, 02:30 AM   #26
Joeyicu
1998 ZJ 

With the stock stuff in front of the glasspack you should be alright for a long while. It has always amazed me at how far back mopar will push that converter. I was under the impression for them to be effective, they need to be at a certain point in the exhaust stream, like way closer to the exhaust manifolds.

I am also confused as to why my truck, whos honeycomb is bouncing around in the stock cat, has not thrown a downstream o2 sensor code for cat effeciency. Odd.

Anyways, post a video of the new exhaust.
Unread 11-29-2012, 03:41 AM   #27
zjgil
1998 ZJ 

Yeah I want something that gives my 4.0 like a deep aggressive sound but not overkill, not like a Honda civic with 3 foot tall spoiler kind of sound. What would I need to achieve that sound I want? And where could I get it?
zjgil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 06:12 AM   #28
Joeyicu
1998 ZJ 

your motor is to big and to different to a small displacement honda motor to ever sound like that. The worst you could do with a 4.0 is just be annoying and not very good sounding, thats all. Get on you tube and start listening. The proof is in the HD video pudding.
Unread 11-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #29
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyicu View Post
That is very communist of the forum, but I see how it is a good idea on the forums part
Communism http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/communism
picture-25.png  
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #30
jeepinbassist
1995 ZJ 

I just put on a cold air intake minus the cold air part and it made it sound much louder on the back and under the hood. When it gets up around 3000 rpm it starts to sound like a muscle car taking off. I love the sound it gives a 4.slow. But it'll probably kill my MPG, but it is a Jeep.
I'll post a video of it soon and I'll see if I can also make it so you can hear the sound on the front end.

Tags
muffler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.