New Member's Jeep Misfiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New Member's Jeep Misfiring

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-03-2003, 02:07 AM   #1
Yardboy

New Member's Jeep Misfiring

Hi-

Unfortunately my first post is due to the problem my jeep that I just purchased had on the long drive home tonight. I purchased a 1995 Grand Cherokee with 83k. It has the 4.0L engine, of which there have been 4 in our family, and have treated us well. It's the 4wd version. On the drive home, after plenty of test driving, its developed a misfire. Both at idle, and under load. Basically, feels like a clunk and momentary loss of power. Naturally, I was dissapointed, but remembered my 1993 4.0L had the CPS replaced due to misfiring. Obviously, I'm going to do a plugs, wires, rotor, distributor cap, but based on the above, is there anywhere else I should be looking at, or anything else to replace. Mechanically, I know just enough to be dangerous. I'll be grabbing a hanes manual tomorrow, but wondered if anyone might have had the same experience and what the fix was.

Thanks.

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L 4WD
1997 BMW M3 Coupe
Yardboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2003, 11:06 AM   #2
ely3rd

I would definitely do the wires, plugs, dist cap etc. first before you get into replacing anything else

my '93 JGC V8 had some stalling problems. I would always replace the wires, plugs, etc and that would help out.

I also had some misfiring at higher speeds (separate incident) and it was the fuel pump. I wouldn't go out and replace the fuel pump though because it could be a number of things.

I haven't had any problems except once with stalling since I replaced my wires with some aftermarket performance wires and replaced the fuel pump. i think the performance wires really help.

also, I've noticed my jeep doesn't like it if I try to start with the a/c ON.
ely3rd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2003, 12:12 AM   #3
Yardboy

thanks ely3rd. i did plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, and replaced both pcv and ccv lines, grommets and elbows. the ccv was not even hooked up when i bought it. anyway, the misfire problem appears to have dissipated, and the car is running quite nicely. idle is still a bit rough, but not ridiculously so. engine codes come up clean (55 only). any idea where to start attacking the rough idle now? it doesn't stall, and doesn't really even get close to stalling, but i'd like it to run better at 700 rpms.

thanks!

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L 4WD
1997 BMW M3 Coupe
Yardboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2003, 10:18 AM   #4
ely3rd

5.2L has an idle air control motor that you might change. I assume the 4.0L has the same. might try changing that.

replacing oxygen sensors isn't a bad thing to do if the car has high mileage. it usually helps gas mileage as well. I think some of these jeeps have two (2) oxygen sensors.

another thing you can try is to disconnect the battery for like 10 minutes or so. the computer memory will be reset and it will have to relearn. I did that once when I was working on my ignition switch and when I restarted the car it was idling awful but within a few minutes the computer relearned. I doubt this will help but it is easy and cheap.
ely3rd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.