New member with questions.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New member with questions....

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-26-2001, 11:53 PM   #1
Tim K

New member with questions....

Well, I'll be honest with you...I have been driving another American-made SUV for the past 4 yrs...you know the one...(hint Firestone)...ok, so we got that out of the way...

Anyway, its time for a change, and I wasn't sure what I was looking to get into until I walked past a new '01 JGC Limited. I love the styling. So I began doing some research and learned alot. However, I still have a bunch of questions which I am hoping you guys can answer for me.

Just FYI...I don't plan on doing any off-roading, just want 4wd in case of snow and I don't expect to do any towing. This will be a 99% on-road vehicle.

So on to the questions (all of these are regarding a 2001 JGC Limited):

1) My Exp....is well, sluggish. I want quicker acceleration. I realize that SUV's are trucks, but I want something that I am confident can get me up to highway merging speeds without a 2 mile onramp. Is a JGC my best bet???? (I recall seeing a commercial a while back toting it as the "fastest SUV on Earth"...any truth to that?

2) Can someone talk me through Trak-lok or Vari-lok or whatever Jeep is calling it these days? I basically want a 4wd with a limited slip. What option/package do I need to get a limited slip?

3) The engine. Is there any advantage to me getting the V8? It is my understanding that on an Exp. the V8, while more powerful is alot heavier and doesn't offer increased acceleration, though it does get more torque for towing. Since I really am looking for acceleration not towing power, should I stick to the V6? I don't think the 1 mpg less on the V8 is a big deal, but I'm not going to pay an extra $300+ and get slightly less mileage for an insignificant increase in quickness.

4) What, if any, are the known weaknesses of the GC? I know that on my Ex the tranny is going and the engine seeps fluids like a seive. So what goes wrong with GC's?

Thanks in advance and hopefully I'll be a Jeep owner soon...just need to test drive one. I hope I am comfortable considering I am 6'7"....

Unread 06-27-2001, 04:44 PM   #2
donkey boy

1) My Exp....is well, sluggish. I want quicker acceleration. I realize that SUV's are trucks, but I want something that I am confident can get me up to highway merging speeds without a 2 mile onramp. Is a JGC my best bet???? (I recall seeing a commercial a while back toting it as the "fastest SUV on Earth"...any truth to that?

V8 yes, I-6 no

2) Can someone talk me through Trak-lok or Vari-lok or whatever Jeep is calling it these days? I basically want a 4wd with a limited slip. What option/package do I need to get a limited slip?

Quadra Drive, which includes the Vari-Lok, which is a kind of fancy LS, front and rear

3) The engine. Is there any advantage to me getting the V8? It is my understanding that on an Exp. the V8, while more powerful is alot heavier and doesn't offer increased acceleration, though it does get more torque for towing. Since I really am looking for acceleration not towing power, should I stick to the V6? I don't think the 1 mpg less on the V8 is a big deal, but I'm not going to pay an extra $300+ and get slightly less mileage for an insignificant increase in quickness.

V8 is lot more powerful and faster in acceleration; I-6 feels more sluggish than the V6 SOHC of the Ex (I had one myself), up to date, there are no V6 in the Grand Cherokee, just in the Libby. I really like my I-6 though

4) What, if any, are the known weaknesses of the GC? I know that on my Ex the tranny is going and the engine seeps fluids like a seive. So what goes wrong with GC's?

if you don't get a lemon, nothing. Well, maybe the front rotors

Thanks in advance and hopefully I'll be a Jeep owner soon...just need to test drive one. I hope I am comfortable considering I am 6'7"

I liked my Ex, but I love my WJ; would not trade anymore
donkey boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2001, 07:06 PM   #3
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Ok... Hi. I had a '99, so I had more problems than you should expect. The rotors on mine from the factory were JUNK. Warped in under 12k, again in another 2k or so, then again in another 6k. They replaced them at about 20k and I drove another 13k without a problem. My power steering was originally a speed-sensitive variable assist model, and it got torn out and replaced with a normal constant-assist rack because Jeep was having too many problems. I don't think they're selling the variable assist anymore.
The V8 is FAST. If you don't mind blowing the doors off of Miatas then it's all good. If that's too quick for you, get the I6. You are hereby warned. In wet weather the rear end will whip around faster than you think possible if you are goofing off/giving it full throttle while turning.
The Quadra-drive is the opposite of limited slip. Those vari-lok axles transfer torque to the tire with grip. If both rears and a front are slipping, it'll transfer almost 100% of the torque to that one wheel that isn't. A limited slip allows some slip between the two tires on an axle and then when the liquid heats up, it virtually locks the two together. For most situations the Quadra-drive is better. The downside is that it only comes with full time 4wd. You can't run it in 2wd at all.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2001, 11:05 PM   #4
Tim K

Thanks for the advice. I will look for a V8 when the time comes. If the difference is that noticeable then its worth the extra $300. Also sounds like the Quadradrive is alot more impressive than the Exp's Control-Trac. I am looking forward to my future test drive.

Thanks again.
Unread 06-28-2001, 04:33 AM   #5
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Extra $300?? blink blink.
When I bought mine it was an $800/1000 option.

If you're buying new, don't pay MSRP. Don't even pay anything near MSRP. If they're still offering that $2k rebate then you should pay (out of pocket) considerably less than INVOICE. I bought mine when they were rare... first v8 laredo wj that the local dealership sold, and I only paid 3% over invoice. With every option minus smoker's group and cd changer it rang in at just under $33k. Now with the rebate it's about $32.5k plus tax&lic. Funny that you can't get quadra drive with the 16" wheels and wider tires anymore.
Unread 06-28-2001, 04:35 AM   #6
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Oh. And no offense, but my Subaru has a better system then that Ford stuff. I looked at Exploders when I bought my WJ... no low range on the V8 and less ground clearance than an Outback wagon were its two major failings.
Unread 06-28-2001, 12:43 PM   #7
donkey boy

Quote:
Originally posted by horatio102:
... The downside is that it only comes with full time 4wd. You can't run it in 2wd at all.
Quadra-Drive also just comes with leather seats. I could have ordered just the Quadra-TracII for my low (E) spec. Laredo, but not Quadra-Drive.
Strange; DCX should at least offer the old Trac-Lok for the Selec-Trac, but there is no LS or anything available for it I guess I will have to wait for an ARB.
donkey boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2001, 03:08 PM   #8
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Well that's a bummer. I wanted leather in mine. It was an option seperate from the Quadra-Drive. Unfortunately the leather came with the Infinity Gold cd player. I had $2500 worth of stereo stuff in my garage, why would I want another $800 factory radio? Bah.

When I got mine the LSD was an option. They're monkeying around with the product too much. DC must want to keep WJ owners on the road or something.
Unread 06-29-2001, 12:06 AM   #9
Tim K

Yeah, if I end up buying one....which I hope I do..I plan on paying less than invoice. I wouldn't mind paying invoice, getting $2k back, and convincing JDC to throw in the .9% financing....that would make me

The V8 upgrade is "listed" at $370 plus $75 for the 5 speed tranny.

Now all I need is to get this new job I am after....and take that test drive....if only dealers would work on Sundays!
Unread 06-29-2001, 04:49 AM   #10
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Around here dealers are open 7 days a week. Parts/Service, no. Sales, yep.
That was one nice thing about the Ford dealership where I got my Bronco a while ago. Open until midnight for service.

I see. You're looking at the Limited. I never bother with the Limited because I'd rather have the unpainted side panels. Less to worry about when dragging it around underbrush.

Those are MSRP numbers man. Invoice is $326 for the v8 and $66 for the tranny.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.