New member, history and questions.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New member, history and questions....

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
L_Kilkenny
1989 YJ Wrangler 

New member, history and questions....

Well boys and girls in the Jeep World........ I"M BACK! Not gonna get to deep here, once upon a time I ran a '89 Wagoneer. Lot's of wrenchin, new motor, transfer case problems, rust repair, misc interior issues, Sound familier?

All that yet I return. This time the internet is around and with a new ride. Due to unforeseen circumstances last year involving our teenage driver and my wife's van spending entirely to much hard distance on it's lid we felt the obliged to acquire a temporary vehicle this last winter. Enter 1998 Grand Cherokee, 4.0L, 130,000 or so miles, rebuilt transmission (with receipts even), black, lacking what appears to be the optional rocker panels since there isn't much left.

Well what started as temporary has turned into permanent. Not necessarily for the wife, maybe for the daughter, maybe a toy for me, only the future will tell. Overall it's running and driving good and we (maybe just me, who cares about the rest ) like driving it. Anyhow, reading thru some of these threads I get the feeling that these things are 100% Jeep/Chrysler complete with every small trouble issue that can be dreamed up. Having a door lock issues myself. On to the questions....

Preventative "small issue" maintenance? Is it possible? I really don't care to have bells and whistles going off and would just as soon defeat/prepare for as many of these as possible. Where to start? Not to mention keeping parts on hand and having info for those things that may leave me dead in the water. What would/can be done to avoid and/or prepare for issues? (Note: Not talkin no brainer stuff like belts, breaks, hose, etc. thanks)

Next would be sheet metal source. I come from the days of the JC Whitney catalog where they had nice diagrams of a vehicle for reference. Personally, these internet pictures they put out there next to the part # and price leave much to be desired. Need part info for rockers and lower front fender sheet metal so I make sure I get the right thing. Help?

Last but not least, tires, namely size. Being me I want biggest I can go without rubbing and lifts. Running factory sized 225/75s right now. Recommendations?

Sorry for the rambling and thanks in advance, LK

L_Kilkenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 12:54 AM   #2
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

I can't really help a lot but if nothing else I'm bumping it for you I wouldn't say these zjs have every problem there is. Mostly little electrical things. Common one is the headlight switch (just resolder the back of the switch), the VIC which you can just replace with a cubby hole from a 2wd zj, and Window switches/locks. I had a few that didn't work when I bought mine but for a few bucks at a junkyard that's no big deal. And biggest preventative maintenance would be transmission fluid and filter changes every 30000 miles, especially with a fresh rebuilt one. Treat it good and it will do the same to you.
95 zj 5.2 np242 3.5'' IRO lift, IRO adjustable arms, KOR front trackbar, steering stabilizer and box brace, IRO rear adjustable trackbar, bilsteins, Hughes plenum plate, flow master 40, 31x10.5s on 15'' dc-2 rims
Mopar or no car!
moparlover1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 12:56 AM   #3
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

O and maybe try quadratec for the sheet metal they have replacement body panels and stuff I think
95 zj 5.2 np242 3.5'' IRO lift, IRO adjustable arms, KOR front trackbar, steering stabilizer and box brace, IRO rear adjustable trackbar, bilsteins, Hughes plenum plate, flow master 40, 31x10.5s on 15'' dc-2 rims
Mopar or no car!
moparlover1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
KyleSekora
1997 ZJ 

Be sure to check all of your suspension bushings and such. After all these years there is a good chance they are worn out.
If you notice a wierd fluctuating idle (normal problem) clean your IAC.
Seafoam is your best friend. Just change your oil pretty soon after you run it.
As for the tires. I believe that is answered in our FAQS. I know with a 2 in bb I can run 245/75's and I only rub at full lock on reverse.
Welcome to JF. Be prepared to spend some money. and good luck not lifting it. Lol.
_.(o)_)__(o)_)---)_)
KyleSekora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
KyleSekora
1997 ZJ 

Also do you know what transfer case you have? Most likely you have a 242 but some 4.0's got the 249 as an option. If you have the 242 your good. However if you have the 249 there is a piece in it called a viscous coupler and it is most likely about to give up the ghost. Causing your t-case to go bad. If so you have two options, replace the VC or replace the tcase with a junkyard 242. Cost is about the same. So most opt to swap out the tcase.
_.(o)_)__(o)_)---)_)
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

www.rockauto.com has a lot of parts too. I seem to recall seeing rocker panels on there. You should be able to fit 30" tires and still be functional off road with little issue at stock height.

If your t case is full time 4x4 with only N and 4lo then it's a 249. 242 has selections of 2wd, part time, full time, and 4lo.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
L_Kilkenny
1989 YJ Wrangler 

242 it is.

Thanks for info. Figured out the tire size the other night, now time to figure out which one. Wife's already declared this is not MY toy so what do I do..... Pull up every picture of swampers and mudders I can find and ask "what about this one?".

One the flip side I have her think all things jeep lately. She's even gone as far as to pick up a JP mag and order every free catalog she can get her hands on.

Next things I need to get caught up on all the abbreviations you guys use. Gotta be a dictionary someplace......

Thanks again
L_Kilkenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #8
KyleSekora
1997 ZJ 

Haha. The normal abbreviations are in the FAQs also. I would post the link but I'm on my phone app.
I'd say go with a nice pair of all terrains. But if you want a pair of mean looking tires go with the mid terrains. They however have road howl and a lot less tread life. Treadwright has nice cheap mud terrains. They are so cheap because they are retreads though. I have heard a lot of good things about them.
Best of luck talking your wife into all the future mods your going to "need".
_.(o)_)__(o)_)---)_)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.