New Member, First Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New Member, First Problem

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 02-23-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
grover175
1996 ZJ 

New Member, First Problem

I just bought a 96 GCL, And I am doing some little things that needed done. I changed the struts on the rear hatch, and now I cant get it to open. I will pull hard, I've had someone outside while I push from inside.. Any suggestions.. ?? Thanks

grover175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
haumana
kickin' it in the VOG!

2000 WJ 

to the forum!

Does the hatch even give a hint to movement, or it is shut solid like it was locked? How is the tension on the hatch handle (is there resistance as if it wanted to unlatch, or is there no resistance like when it's locked)?

http://midpacsolutions.com
haumana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
Vestjam

2008 JK Wrangler 

I thought there was something up in the Faq's, but I couldn't fine it.

This is not an uncommon problem. Open the rear window and remove the four top screws that hold the rear panel in. Then you'll need to pry the panel out just enough to see the locking mechanism at the bottom. Don't pull to hard or the panel will crach. I stuck a piece of 2x4 in between the panel and the hatch so I had both hands free. With a flash light, look down at the lock mechanism. I then cut the top of a hanger off and stretched it out into a long staight line. I made a small U shape at one end. I guided the 'U' end down to the locking mechanism and once I captured the lever, I pulled up and released the lock. When the hatch opens, remove the rest of the panel. There will be some hidden screws in the bottom carpeted corners. Feel for them. Once the panel is off, the locking mechanism will be exposed. You will see a threaded rod that is attached to the handle. That rod is captured by a metal clip. The clip looses grip on the screw rod and slips. That's why the door won't open. Adjust it until it functions properly. I used some safety wire to wrap around the screw rod once I had the adjustment correct. That will prevent the rod from slipping in the future.

Good luck.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.0L/AW4, Yakima Roof Rack
Vestjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
grover175
1996 ZJ 

It's got just a little movement, barely, feels unlocked, And after I pull on it, If i push it, I can hear it click.. Seems like a bind, But I cant see where it would be binding..
Unread 02-23-2008, 04:28 PM   #5
grover175
1996 ZJ 

It's a one piece hatch, can't open window.. lol, Can i still use a nifty trick form the inside?
Unread 02-23-2008, 05:29 PM   #6
Vestjam

2008 JK Wrangler 

yes, but you will need someone either watching from the outside to guide you. I know some folks have just cut a 4x4 hole in the center bottom of the panel and exposed the lock mechanism. Then you can either replace the panel later or cover it up...

Have patience.... you can do it.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Unread 02-24-2008, 06:19 PM   #7
grover175
1996 ZJ 

Hey thanks a bunch, Popped it with the hanger, adjusted the thingy.. and It works like a dream...

I can already see that this place is gonna be a great place to be..
Unread 02-24-2008, 06:46 PM   #8
Vestjam

2008 JK Wrangler 

.... and the satisfaction of doing it all yourself is priceless.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.