New To Jeeps, Any Info For A First Timer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New To Jeeps, Any Info For A First Timer?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-17-2002, 11:10 AM   #1
Jeremy93GC

New To Jeeps, Any Info For A First Timer?

I am seriously considering a 1992 Grand Cherokee. A friend of mine wants to trade his for my Mustang as I need a more practical vehicle. Is this year/model a good choice? What should I look out for and what parts typically wear/break? Also how is the aftermarket for these Jeeps as far as wheels, suspension, engine etc... This would be my daily driver vehicle with an occasional off-road adventure so I'm basically looking for something reliable that won't fall apart with a little abuse. TIA.

Jeremy93GC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2002, 12:53 PM   #2
boosh

i think the first year grand's where made was in 93 if i'm not mistaken and what type of grand v8 or 6

k&n gereation 2 intake and killer sound system! So far

*just totaled* 93 jeep grand cherokee
k&n gereation 2 intake, gibson exhust, low temp thermostat and killer sound system
boosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2002, 03:10 PM   #3
Intrepidjeep

Yes, '93 was the first year of the Grand Cherokee.

My father still has his '93 GC, bought back in '93. It's really been a very enjoyable vehicle and generally reliable. He's had the expected A/C repair once or twice, but that's about it except for maintenance items.

And only the 1993 model had that great Aisen-Warner AW4 transmission. The later models had switched over to Chrysler's very good corporate transmission, which probably saved them a lot of cash per vehicle. That AW4 was a great tranny, though, particularly for the time period. All electronic, self-adjusting rather than requiring periodic manual adjustments, and extremely durable.

-- Marcus
2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L
Intrepidjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2002, 10:52 PM   #4
94gclimited

Would you happen to know how much max torque that Aisen Warner could handle and what chrysler's corporate tranny handles? Do those Warner tranny's have the same gear ratios in all 4 gears as the 94 and later ones?
Jason
94gclimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2002, 12:09 AM   #5
Intrepidjeep

Don't know what the torque specs are.
Note that the AW4 is a variant of the Toyota A340 transmission -- this variant is called the A340H. The A340H is used on Toyota 4runners, p/u's, older Supras and Lexus, and even on Troopers and others.

Aisin-Warner AW4 automatic.
1st -- 2.7
2nd -- 1.53
3rd -- 1.0
4th -- .75

Chrysler 46RE automatic (used in '98 GC w/5.9L)
(this is the half-ton Dodge truck transmission)
1st -- 2.45
2nd -- 1.45
3rd -- 1.0
4th -- .69

Chrysler 42RE automatic ('99-up GC w/ 4.0L)
1st -- 2.74
2nd -- 1.54
3rd -- 1.0
4th -- .71

Chrysler 45RFE automatic ('99-2000 GC w/ 4.7L)
1st -- 3.00
2nd -- 1.67 upshift, 1.50 kickdown
3rd -- 1.0
4th -- .75

Chrysler 546RE five-speed automatic ('2000-up GC w/4.7L)
1st -- 3.00
2nd -- 1.67 upshift, 1.50 kickdown
3rd -- 1.0
4th -- .75
5th -- .67
Unread 09-21-2002, 04:31 PM   #6
94gclimited

So 94-98 Grand Cherokees with the 5.2 also had the Chrysler 46RE transmission as well as the Dodge trucks? Since the Aisen Warner does in fact have shorter gears than the 46RE, this might further support my theory that 93 GC's might be a little quicker (both V8 and I6) than 94+ models since all of the GC's at least with the 5.2 have the same 3.73 rear end. Can anyone elaborate on this? I know Boosh's 93 ran a 15.8 in the 1/4 bone stock which should mean his and other 93's should get well under an 8 second 0-60 time. The fastest published times I have seen a 94 and newer run in Car and Driver is 8 flat.
Unread 09-21-2002, 06:33 PM   #7
94gclimited

Another thing I might add is my mechanic friend told me that the 93's transmissions have the same oil pan as the old 727 torqueflites and that the clutches, bands, etc were relatively the same as the 727's. Did Toyota take the basic design of the 727's and modernized them for use in some of their vehicles? They did this with their I6 used in the Land Cruisers. That I6 is actually based on the old Chevy I6's and Toyota took that design and modernized it.
Jason
Unread 09-22-2002, 05:11 PM   #8
FutureZJOwner

So, is it hard to buy and install gears that would change the gear ratios? I think I've seen some people on this board buy gears and install them to make theirs a 4.10 rear end. I could be wrong, but would something like this make it faster? And is it hard to do?
FutureZJOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2002, 05:38 PM   #9
Intrepidjeep

You'd be changing the gear ratio in the rear axle. Easy to do and one of the cheapest acceleration boosts you can give the vehicle.

I'd sure make a point of adding limited-slip to the rear axle at the same time. You'll have greater need for limited-slip with the better gear ratios. You'll save on labor by doing two things at once.

City fuel economy wouldn't suffer, but highway mileage sure would, since you'd be crusing at higher rpm. Cruising rpm will probably be 400-500 rpm higher. No big deal if you don't take it on long trips much anyway.

-- Marcus
Unread 09-22-2002, 09:37 PM   #10
FutureZJOwner

Marcus, Thanks!! How much faster would it make say a GC 5.2 and a GC 5.9? Will it help with low and mid end acceleration as well as the grunt needed for even the hardest trails?

thanks alot again,

Sean

**Edit** Sorry, I should add that I mean how much faster to 60, and will it add punch past 60 as well?

Last edited by FutureZJOwner; 09-22-2002 at 09:40 PM..
Unread 09-22-2002, 11:19 PM   #11
Intrepidjeep

It would transform your driving experience on your Jeep! It would really launch much stronger right from a stop, and remain much stronger all the way to whatever the speed limiter is set to.

On the street, your upshifts would occur at lower speeds. For example, if your 1st to 2nd upshift (at full throttle) occurs at 40mph, then after the gear upgrade it would occur at, say, 31mph. If your 2nd to 3rd upshift occurs at 70mph, then after the upgrade it might occur at 58mph. This is because the engine is revving higher and approaching its rev limit, and the computer upshifts it to the next gear.

Of course, all this is very general since we're not talking specific ratios.

Offroad, the change would be most greatly enjoyed! The raw torque, especially for rock- and stump-crawling, would be greatly improved. With much lower throttle inputs you could still crawl over anything, which equates to much better control over those tricky stumps and boulders. Your crawl ratio would be far more respectable.

Transmission 1st gear X Transfer case low range X Gear ratio
Example with 3.73:1 gears: 3.00 x 2.72 x 3.73 = 30.4:1
Example with 4.10:1 gears: 3.00 x 2.72 x 4.1 = 33.4:1
Example with 4.56:1 gears: 3.00 x 2.72 x 4.56 = 37.2:1
Example with 4.88:1 gears: 3.00 x 2.72 x 4.88 = 39.8:1

You probably have a Dana 30 front and Dana 35 rear axle? I know for a fact that you could get 4.10:1, or 4.56:1, or even 4.88:1 ratios for them. For some other model of axle(s), you'll have to make some phone calls. Superior Axle & Gear has been working on Jeep gearsets for years, though I'm sure others have them as well.

Remember that if you have a 4WD, then you'll naturally have to upgrade both axles to the same ratio. (Some offroaders deliberately install a fractionally different ratio front-to-rear, to provide a little torque bias for offroad use.)

Do some regular web searches on "Jeep Dana" and "Jeep Grand Dana" and other phrases like that -- tons of great info.

Here's Superior Axle & Gear's contact info:

Superior Axle & Gear
Dept ORN
3954 Whiteside St.
Los Angeles, CA 90063
Phone (888) 522-2953
Fax (323) 268-9085
e-mail: ron@footeaxle.com
Unread 09-26-2002, 10:19 PM   #12
FutureZJOwner

OMG THANKS!

MARCUS, you are THE MAN! When I get my Jeep, I will do all this, and tell you how it worked out. In the mean time, my friend, which out of those ratios is the best for accleration and off road response, all speeds? I will be getting a 1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V-8, is the Quadra-track case as off road capable as the rest? And how much money are we talking?

thanks so much,

Sean
Unread 09-26-2002, 11:52 PM   #13
Intrepidjeep

On gear ratios, a 4.10:1 would be a nice compromise -- giving you a very nice boost for all speeds without affecting cruising very much (that is, without increasing cruising rpm a whole lot).

Go for a higher ratio if you're doing only city driving and offroad use. Not that you couldn't cruise on the highway, but you'd probably keep your speed lower.

There might be an issue regarding the computer on the gear swap, but I kinda doubt there's any issue beyond making sure the speedometer reads correctly. That is something to check on though.

On a 4WD for serious offroad use I'd try to do the gear ratio change and limited slip at the same time on each axle. I'd guess you could do each axle for $1000-1500. I suppose you could do the rear axle first and leave it in 2WD mode until you could do the front axle, but I'd just save up and get both done at once.

Contact Superior or other shops that do this work all the time -- they'll be glad to give you current quotes and recommendations on what would work great, and what sort of "gotchas" to look out for on a particular model.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.