New Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner!!!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-27-2002, 04:29 PM   #1
CoreyTipton

New Jeep Grand Cherokee Owner!!!

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. I am now the proud owner of a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ the I-6 Motor and an auto tranny. I am a huge car enthusiast. My previous 3 cars were all small imports. A Mazda Mx-3 V6, '93 Toyota Mr2 Turbo, and a '95 Del Sol TurboCharged. I was involved in the street racing scene for about 3 years and although I do have some extensive knowledge of import cars I do know little of the innerworkings of Jeeps. I had to get out of the import scene due to the fact that I was getting in way too much trouble with police for street racing. That and my Del Sol was constantly having problems with the clutch and tranny. So I decided I was better off just getting rid of it. So I found the the Grand Cherokee. It has a putrid red velvetish interior, the paint isn't too bad, only a couple of dents, and it has 120,000 miles on it. I bought it for $3500. I honestly don't know if I paid too much or too little for it and to be honest I don't really care. I love this Jeep! I've had the Jeep for a little over a month now and I have already installed Memphis Audio 6.5" Speakers all around, I put in my Panasonic "Ghost" Cd Player, and I mounted a 7" Widescreen LCD Screen in the Glovebox. I mounted the DVD/CD/MP3 Player under the dash. I have 2 Pioneer Premier Amps powering the highs and a Kicker Solobaric Sub. I do have a couple of questions though. I'd rather ask and play it safe then drill a hole and screw something up.

1. Where the hell is my spare tire at???

2. If I drill a 1 1/4" screw into the carpet in the trunk behind the back seats will I hit the gas tank?

3. My headlights have a kind of haze or film over them. Anyone know what I can use to take it off?

4. My tranny kinda hums when it is cruising, meaning when I am maintaining a certain speed. like when I set cruise control. It was really annoying until I installed my stereo, now I just can't hear it anymore. LOL. Any ideas on how serious this is? I just need this tranny to last me at least a year and a half. Also when shifted into park if I'm on a hill it will roll unless I put the e brake on. I know these may/may not be serious it'd just be nice to know.

5. Thank you all and It's great being a Jeep Owner!!! When's the next Jeep Meet up??? I live in Maryland and I'd like to see what people can really do to these Grand Cherokee's. Like I said I'm new to this!

Thanks again guys and gals....

7" Widescreen Monitor
Blaupunkt DVD/CD/MP3 Player
4-6.5" Memphis Coaxial Speakers
2-Pioneer Premier PRS-X720 Amps
1-Kicker Solobaric L5 Square Subwoofer
CoreyTipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2002, 04:33 PM   #2
CoreyTipton

Also, what tuneups would everyone recommend? Just to make sure she's running as great as possible. Thanks
7" Widescreen Monitor
Unread 09-27-2002, 04:35 PM   #3
CoreyTipton

Shoot!!! I keep rememebering more things I wanted to ask you all. How do I tell which model mine is? It has the full time 4WD High and Low shifter. I don't know if that would help you all tell me.

OOPS and thanks again.
7" Widescreen Monitor
Unread 09-27-2002, 06:30 PM   #4
moabster
2011 WK 

Welcome to the Forum. I had a 93 GC Laredo with the V8, Auto, Quadra-drive Infinity Sound, Towing package. It was a great Jeep. I have a 2000 now and love it.

The spare tire goes in the rear behind the back seat (driver's side) and leans against the side. If there is not one there you are missing it. There should be some mounting hardware and cover as well.

It sounds like you have the quadra-drive system in yours if it only has Full-time 4WD, Neutral, and 4Low. The Select Trac has 2HI, 4HI, and 4LO (If I remember right ).

As far as tune ups I would change the plugs, wires and distributor cap. Especially if you thing they have never been changed before.

Not sure about your tranny question or Head lamp haze.

The '93 was a good year. Mine only had minor problems in the 7 years I owned it. Brakes, brake caliper, one broken wire for the electric windows and locks, and the air conditioner compressor was starting to leak when I traded it in. Hope you enjoy it. It sounds like youv'e got the sound system taken care of, now it's time to get it ready to go off road.
Bullet Proof Front and Rear Bumpers and Tow bar
moabster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2002, 08:27 PM   #5
Intrepidjeep

I just posted a little treatment technicque I used on yellowed & sandblasted headlights to get them looking like new. You can also get replacement headlights off eBay pretty inexpensively.

You have the Aisin-Warner AW-4 transmission. It's really a great transmission -- electronically controlled, self-adjusting for wear -- but it was probably an expensive transmission. Chrysler switched in the middle of 1993 to their own corporate automatic (42RE, I think??). There are no adjustments to make from what I remember in the manual, except throttle shift linkage adjustment (basically amounts to taking out any play in the cable).

There's no telling what kind of transmission fluid may be in your car. It could be the original fluid (very worn out by now) or it could be anything else. Lots of mechanics just put in whatever Dexron or Dexron Mercon fluid they have around.

Best thing you can do for the automatic is drop the transmission pan, replace the filter, make sure every drop of the old fluid pours out.

With those miles and having just bought it, I'd follow the procedure for draining the torque converter, which holds 2-3-4 quarts (forget how much). Don't want that old fluid contaminating the new fluid.

Your owner's manual calls for ATF7176 fluid, available at the dealer. However, it's the same thing as ATF+3/ATF+4 fluids you can buy at Walmart and other places. If you can't get ATF+3 or ATF+4, you could use Dexron II, but the ATF fluids are superior.

DON'T buy the Dexron Mercon for that Aisin-Warner or for other Chrysler transmissions. There are numerous articles in these forums on this issue if you want to do a search. It's not healthy stuff for your tranny.
2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L

Last edited by Intrepidjeep; 09-27-2002 at 08:34 PM..
Intrepidjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.