New to Jeep, AWD, and automatic transmissions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New to Jeep, AWD, and automatic transmissions.

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 07-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
firsttimeawd
1993 ZJ 

New to Jeep, AWD, and automatic transmissions.

Hi, Im the new owner of a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has a 5.2 MPI with and automatic AWD transmission. It has 203,xxx miles on it. I have no experience with v8's, automatic transmissions, AWD or Jeep's at all. Most of my automotive experience is with turbo 4 cyl and manual transmissions. I just had a few questions about these SUV's.

1. Are there any common problems with the engine/transmissions? I saw on tv that they were trying to make Dodge recall all Grand Cherokee's for the fuel tank fire but did not hear anything about it.

2. Is there a way to just drive around in 2wd or is it All Time AWD? I saw the lever that says 4D 2D and 4lo but not sure if you can drive on 2D for too long.

3. I am posting a picture of a phantom hose that I saw hanging underneath the car today. I checked and it seems to be coming from the transmission. I know it's a vacuum hose but unsure for what. (Posting picture of it below.)

4. The gear selecter is extremely mushy feeling. It's hard to tell if it is in Park or Reverse. Just today I left the car running in park with my fiance and baby in the car and I ran inside to close to garage and the car jumped into reverse and started going into the street. She had to jump in the driver seat and hit the brake.

These are all the questions I have at the moment. If I can just search any of these questions just let me know and I will get on it. Also if there is any website or any material I can read to get some more insight on the car I would greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks for any help on these questions and I hope to have this Jeep for years to come!!

jeep-side.jpg

phantom-hose.jpg

firsttimeawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
deermjd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

2. You have a part time 4WD transfer case. If it were a full time 4WD or AWD it would only have 4Hi and 4Lo.

3. Looks like a vent hose. Reconnect it up high against the firewall with some zip ties and you should be good to go
deermjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

the 5.2 is a very very durable engine. with basic maintenance, they can last well over 300xxx miles.
there is no 2 wheel drive option. its full time 4 wheel drive, or all wheel drive.
that hose does not go to the transmission, and it is not a vacuum hose. that is the vent hose for the front differential. it runs up and clips into the side of the air cleaner box.
cant help you as far as the loose shifter

welcome to the ZJ world
Unread 07-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

please post a picture of your 4wd selector lever. it should be 4full time, neutral, and 4lo. if it says anything different, the transfer case has been swapped out at some point.
Unread 07-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

Unread 07-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
firsttimeawd
1993 ZJ 

Sorry I was mistaken on the lever. I posted a picture I found on google that is the same thing as the one I have.

Glad to hear about the hose, I thought I was gonna have a vacuum leak.

My dad has a 92 Dodge Dakota with a 5.2 Magnum and he is at 223,xxx. That was one of the main reasons I ended up getting this Jeep.

quadtrac.jpg
Unread 07-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The hose is the diff breather, it is supposed to live on a clip on the airbox.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The shift lever detent thing is a known problem that was recalled by jeep for doing exactly what yours did, rolling into streets on its own. Take it to the dealer and they will fix it.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 07-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The shift lever detent thing is a known problem that was recalled by jeep for doing exactly what yours did, rolling into streets on its own. Take it to the dealer and they will fix it.
wasnt that recall a long time ago though? i seem to remember reading somewhere that a dealer doesnt have to honor a recall if the recall is over 10 years old.
Unread 07-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I don't remember when it was, but the dealer should still honor it.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 07-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
firsttimeawd
1993 ZJ 

That's good to hear, I will have to go to the dealership tomorrow and talk to them about the recalls. I read an article indicating that recalls had no expiration date.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.