new to jeep!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > new to jeep!!!

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 04-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
sledhead91
1995 ZJ 

new to jeep!!!

hey guys how is everyone? i just bought my first Jeep Grand Cherokee in march. I've been saving up and bought myself a rough country 3.5 suspension life. right from the get go i had problems with the installation because of rust. i had to fabricate a new bracket for the passenger control arm. that was head ache number one. now ive drove it for about 100 miles and the coil spring boot housing on the axel has broke and pushed into all my steering components on that side. Im not really sure what i should do with this Jeep. i want to keep it and make it a little project jeep but i know i will be putting alot of money into it because of all the rust issues. But then again im not sure if it will even be worth keeping it around. I love wheeling and hitting the trails. Just alot has happend in the last few days and now im stuck with no vehicle. any suggestions on what i should do? or someone steer me into the right direction on fixing the ZJ.

sledhead91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
Erbo1Kanerbo
2008 JK Wrangler 

coil spring boot housing eh? lol take a pic and we can help you out bud

ZJ's: If you dont know what it is you cant afford it.
Erbo1Kanerbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
sledhead91
1995 ZJ 

i'll take a pic when i get back to the house, its the only thing i can explain it by. its where the coil spring seats onto the axel housing. this is a pic i found on here of the same axel that i have. I have circled what broke on my axel. this might help untill i get some pics of the carnage thats under my ZJ
axel.jpg  
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
Erbo1Kanerbo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Its called a coil spring perch... how did it break? unless you can weld i would just go to a junkyard and get a new front axle. In my area they can be had for $100. Just take off all of the steering and brakes and swap your stuff over.

ZJ's: If you dont know what it is you cant afford it.
Erbo1Kanerbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
sledhead91
1995 ZJ 

honestly im not really sure how it broke. maybe it was just rusted to much and couldn't take the pressure? it just sheered off the axle housing and pushed the bracket and everything into all my steering components. i can weld but everything on the axle is pretty rusty, thinking i will just run to the junk yard and see what they can come up with. thanks for your help!!
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #6
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

if the whole jeep is rusty (which i assume it is, if the rust was bad enough to destroy an axle bracket), i wouldnt put any money into it. find one with a good body and swap all your parts over. then part out/scrap the rest of the rusty one

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.