Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

New here wonder if someone can fingue out my problem

887 views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  michiganmaveric 
#1 ·
I have a 1999 GC with Quada drive II, works just fine on pavement but last weekend on the North Carolina outer banks darn near got stuck on the beach. Not sure just where the problem lies, there is a chattering sound simular to the sound of slipping clutches in a limited slip diff. and if you look at the tire tracks in the sand they were not smooth but choppy. We have been on the beach nurmous times before with no problems. It has 108K on the clock and runs like a top. I hate to take it to the local dealer, no I won't take it to them. Any gearheads out there with any ideas??

Thanks in advance.:confused:

#5 ·
Josiah probably hit the nail right on the head there. Change out the fluid in the rear diff (75-140 synthetic with Mopar LSD additive) and see if that takes care of the issue. At 108k miles, it's possible that your LSD is going south.

#6 ·
Well let me answer some answers. Trans and Xfer fluids were changed at 40,000 and 80,000, and are at proper levels, nice and red and doesn't swell burned . Diff fluids have never been changed, this could very well be the problem. It ran fine before and after on pavement. Thanks for the idea guys I will change the diff fluids this weekend, only problem is I don't have anyplace close by to see if its better. Is the special clutch pack fluid only available at Jeep??? :thumbsup:

#7 ·
Don't know if the Quadradrive LSDs require special fluid (knowing DC, probably :rolleyes: ), but on my old Dodge Ram, I just used standard LSD Friction Modifier from an Autozone type place. I do remember it wasn't expensive.
Hope this helps;
Josiah

#11 ·
Ok, first off you don't have QDII, that is a WK only feature. So you probably have Quadra-Trac II since you said you don't have a LSD at all. Secondly WJ's QTII NP247 TC doesn't have a viscious coupler (like a NP249 - ZJ has) it has a PC (Progressive Coupler) which cycles the fluid throughout the TC. This means that changing the TC fluid can help solve PC problems. They can go bad but they rarely do.

#12 ·
ArloGuthroJeep said:
Ok, first off you don't have QDII, that is a WK only feature. So you probably have Quadra-Trac II since you said you don't have a LSD at all. Secondly WJ's QTII NP247 TC doesn't have a viscious coupler (like a NP249 - ZJ has) it has a PC (Progressive Coupler) which cycles the fluid throughout the TC. This means that changing the TC fluid can help solve PC problems. They can go bad but they rarely do.
Thanks for the info. You are corect I knew it was a QTII don't know why I said QD. I sure hope you are correct about the Xfer fluid curing the problem. No additives there is that correct?

After pulling the diff cover off and seeing it was open started me wondering how Jeep and I'm sure other manufactures put 4X4 on vehicules that aren't. Kinda looks like false advertizing to me. :confused:

#14 ·
I had the same thing happen to me in my XJ. Once I got the right front tire off the gravel road and into the weeds. I was stuck. A couple of guys stopped and were pushing me out and I had a lot of wheel hop, the axles were really bouncing up and down. The second time I was snatching someone out of a ditch with a recovery strap and the same thing happened, wheel hop to the max.

I think it has somwething to do with the way the power is transfered to the wheels on the axle. Power is changed back and forth on each axle to the wheel that has the most traction (I believe). I think this is what caused my wheel hop. Not a fun thing to have happen, that is why I now have LS in the rear and a detroit Tru-Trac in the front. No more open diff's for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.