New here and gettign a ZJ today - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New here and gettign a ZJ today

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
whotime

New here and gettign a ZJ today

hi first let me say i am new here and have speant the past week reading the forums and learning.

I just got a 98 ZJ TSI 4X4 but it has some problems that i am wondering if anyone can help me with.

1. The vic is showing coolent sensor bad.
I know this can be fixed with soldering

2. the dimmer and headlight switch makes all the lights dim and flicker.
again solvable by soldering the switch?

3. I have a hole in my power steering preassure line.
Now i know to replace it but i am asked if it is with or without Variable Assist - How do i Tell? Just talked to the dealership and it does not have variable assist. Also they wanted 95 for the hose....oreillys has for 20.

4. my air only blows out of the defrost and only does that on 1,2,3, it doesnt blow at all on 4 high-
I know it could be the BMR or a vacuum line. But i can not find the vacuum line or cannister under the hood. Does anyone have a picture?

5. While driving the inside lights will flicker, especially when turning right and the vic will say drive door ajar and then the auto locks will start to lock themselves again.
what could cause this?

6. the rear hactchs door handle does not release at all to allow it to open. the glass opens just fine but not the whole hatch.
anyone got a guide on how to replace?

7. The ignition key sticks in the ignition.
porbably need to replace the ignition switch

8. some times when i park and turn off the brake lights on the rear are still on.
what could cause this?

9. Exhaust leak- sounds like its at the manifold
any guides on how to fix that?

I know there is allot wrong with the truck but it all seems very fixable and the truck only cost me 1000 dollars and had a rebuilt engine. I am really wanting to fix it up into a DD.

I really appreciate anyone help on this. Right now number 4 is my biggest concern so the power steering doesnt go out.

Last edited by whotime; 04-17-2013 at 09:43 AM..
whotime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
KyleSekora
1997 ZJ 

Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting a Niner. Wish I was that lucky. And from what I remember for number 3 (I just read about it yesterday)that was only an option available in the 96's. So you should want one without a variable assist. Forum search variable assist you should get a few results. I would do it for you but I'm at work.
_.(o)_)__(o)_)---)_)
KyleSekora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
whotime

thanks kyle and i look forward to the adventure. I will search that on here and see. I know when I go to oreillys and give them what i need i get that question on number 3 so it throws me off
whotime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Syncityj
1998 ZJ 

As far as the lights flickering with the vic saying driver door ajar, you may want to check the door switch on the door jamb, it could be bad. Taking out the rear hatch latch without opening it, seems to be a difficult feat, but my was sticking and some wd40 cured that. If you lived near by, I'd be more them happy to lend a hand to these problems, but your just a little to far.
Syncityj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Number 6 means that the little rod that controls the mechanism has come loose or is not completely tight. You can either try giving the hatch a smack right by the latch when you try and open it or take off all the screws you can get to on the inside. You would then pull the trim piece away and reach down with a pair of pliers to pull the rod up. With the hatch open, you can pull that trim piece and sound-deadening right off to access the mechanism. Put the little clips back around the rod and cross a pair of zip ties tight over them.

Number 8 is the switch under the brake pedal sticking a bit. Mine does it if I drive with muddy boots or if its really cold. My fix has just been to pull up on the brake pedal after I park.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
misfit77
1996 ZJ 

8. Brake light switch. You can try adjusting the one you have now or save trouble and buy a new one.
I had the same issue. New one was my final solution.
misfit77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.