New headlamp assembly install broke adjuster - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New headlamp assembly install broke adjuster

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

New headlamp assembly install broke adjuster

I should have known better than to believe this crock-of-chit description, "OE-comparable mounting provision ensure drop-in precise fitment", on the below headlamp assembly. Guess you get what you pay for but thought $35/each w/lamp would be better than some of the cheaper ones. And $106 at the dealer is the typical outrageous priced.

http://www.amazon.com/TYC-20-3071-00...cm_rdp_product

After sanding/steel wooling most the rust off of the horizontal adjuster screw balls, and covering them with white grease, when I went to snap the left headlamp in place it broke the inner adjuster plastic housing to pieces. Sure wasn't happy about this and the Sat parts guy at the dealer didn't have a clue if they sold this adjuster or just the plastic gear housing (diagram, #17. Retainer, Drive Gear?).

Since stuck I had to use plastic weld on the outside of the plastic gear housing w/o getting it on the screw shaft or face where it mounts to the plastic header slot. Then had to wait a couple hours for setting up before installing.

As usual the dia on the plastic ball clips was too small on this aftermarket headlamp so had to change out the clips from the old one to new. And when installing this time I put a block of wood behind the metal towards the engine compartment to support the back of the horizontal adjusting screw which is just even w/the metal when properly adjusted. Also supported the short adjuster towards the outside of the fender with my fingers when snapping the outside of the headlamp in place. Since I had the proper sized clips this time the install went much easier.

I was originally going to ask if anybody knew if the "Retainer, Drive Gear" was the correct plastic gear housing part? But just called the usual parts guy at the dealer and they sell the whole adjuster for $10 while having them in stock.

Just thought I'd pass this along in case anybody else bought this same headlamp assembly and you can read my Amazon review on NOT an easy install on a 96 ZJ. Have no idea how the other guy with a 96 said it was so easy. I will say the headlights look a whole lot better w/brighter light than the old ones.

headlamp-assembly-lamps-94-96-parts-list-p.-8-1145.jpg   headlamp-assembly-med-size-broken-adjuster-housing-pivot-4-29-2013.jpg   headlamp-assembly-broken-adjuster-housing-pivot-case-whole-med-size-4-29-2013.jpg   headlamp-assembly-header-adjuster-slot-med-size-4-29-2013.jpg  

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

I think its one of those hit or miss things. I got some off of ebay, the sockets are total crap, they don't snap at all. I was only able to get it to snap on one of the balls (because i was able to use the OEM socket...). I also read good reviews on how good it fit.

My solution: some sillicone adhesive. Just strong enough to hold it in place even at highway speed, weak enough where I can pull it out without damage if i need to .

206k: 1/6/14;
205k: 12/21/13; 204k: 11/22/13; 203k: 10/8/13; 202k: 8/29/13; 201k: 7/15/13; 200k: 6/8/13; 199k: 5/10/13; 198k: 3/17/13; 197k: 2/22/13;
196k: 12/20/12; 195k: 10/26/12; 194k: 8/17/12; 193k: 5/29/12; 192k: 3/16/12; 191k: 2/18/12;
190k: 12/31/11

Current mods: 703 injectors(my howto), intake modification, 99+ intake manifold (my howto), Magnaflow hi-flow cat from Kolak & Cherry Bomb glasspack.
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Ouch im about to order some oem style headlights online too for something like 100 $ with shipping. I hope I dont have the same problems
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander21510 View Post
I think its one of those hit or miss things. I got some off of ebay, the sockets are total crap, they don't snap at all. I was only able to get it to snap on one of the balls (because i was able to use the OEM socket...). I also read good reviews on how good it fit.

My solution: some sillicone adhesive. Just strong enough to hold it in place even at highway speed, weak enough where I can pull it out without damage if i need to .
It was kind of interesting the socket clips on the new left and right headlights were different color but the headlamps were made by the same manufacturer. Almost like the clips themselves were made by someone else which wouldn't doubt.

Not sure about using silicone adhesive but one of the reviewers said they cut the slots clear down to the base with a hacksaw blade on the socket part, like the OE ones, to get them to fit. Bet this is a trick though since there's only 3 tabs/slots so you can't run a blade clear across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
Ouch im about to order some oem style headlights online too for something like 100 $ with shipping. I hope I dont have the same problems
Believe I'd be looking at the clip sockets closely to see if they're the same diameter. Switch them out if they aren't. Regardless, I'd be supporting the back of the adjuster the best you can before snapping them in place. I was even able to put a 2"x2"x3/4" plywood scrap on the back of the adjuster screw on the metal back between the battery w/o having to remove the battery itself.

I went back and re-sanded the end-balls on the adjuster screws real smooth with fine emery cloth, even put a lighter under the socket to warm the plastic up for a few secs, sprayed with white grease, and snapped them in quickly. Good luck.

Unread 04-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

I ran into almost the exact same problem today. I was in an accident and finally had a chance to replace my header panel, and new passenger side headlight, side marker light and turn signal. The one clip is square and the other two are round. The square one (upper clip) went in fine, but the two lower ones didn't fit at all. But I noticed they did spin. So I used some hot glue and it worked great. Unfortunately when installing the drivers side headlight I broke the square upper clip. So now I have to find one of those.
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:39 AM   #6
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

The OE part numbers you're looking for are

4762489 Round retainer to horizontal adjuster and pivot stud 2 per side
4762490 Rectangular retainer to vertical adjuster 1 per side

Ken
kensnelling is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

My 94 adjusters are crap. They were binding and finally stripped the bevel gears. Few years back, cleaned replaced EVERY piece short of the header panel. They're still nearly impossible to move. If I force them, the gears will just strip again.

Anyone had good luck lubing these? I did not, just figured it would collect more dirt.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

IIRC I have to "help" the adjusters along. I use pliars and twist the ball as I turn the adjuster gear, because KT binds and strips just like urs. I feel like older and non OEM header panels probably have too much give and allow the adjusters to bind up

206k: 1/6/14;
205k: 12/21/13; 204k: 11/22/13; 203k: 10/8/13; 202k: 8/29/13; 201k: 7/15/13; 200k: 6/8/13; 199k: 5/10/13; 198k: 3/17/13; 197k: 2/22/13;
196k: 12/20/12; 195k: 10/26/12; 194k: 8/17/12; 193k: 5/29/12; 192k: 3/16/12; 191k: 2/18/12;
190k: 12/31/11

Current mods: 703 injectors(my howto), intake modification, 99+ intake manifold (my howto), Magnaflow hi-flow cat from Kolak & Cherry Bomb glasspack.
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugulis View Post
I ran into almost the exact same problem today. I was in an accident and finally had a chance to replace my header panel, and new passenger side headlight, side marker light and turn signal. The one clip is square and the other two are round. The square one (upper clip) went in fine, but the two lower ones didn't fit at all. But I noticed they did spin. So I used some hot glue and it worked great. Unfortunately when installing the drivers side headlight I broke the square upper clip. So now I have to find one of those.
When I removed my old headlamps the square plastic clips stayed on the ball of the adjuster screw while coming out of the assembly itself. Figured why not use them over and removed the new square clips from the new headlamps. But when installing the left assembly one of the old square clips broke so used the new square clip I removed. Shouldn't you have an extra from the old headlight assembly or did both the new and old ones break?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensnelling View Post
The OE part numbers you're looking for are

4762489 Round retainer to horizontal adjuster and pivot stud 2 per side
4762490 Rectangular retainer to vertical adjuster 1 per side

Ken
Some good info to know, thanks! I checked with Mopar-wholesale online and the 4762489 round clip is listed as "Retainer Reflector T" for $6.76/each and the rectangular 4762490 is also listed as a "Retainer Reflector T" for $6.83/each. This is w/o shipping and wonder is they would be a lot higher at the dealer since they already seems kind of pricey if replacing all of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreaZJ View Post
My 94 adjusters are crap. They were binding and finally stripped the bevel gears. Few years back, cleaned replaced EVERY piece short of the header panel. They're still nearly impossible to move. If I force them, the gears will just strip again.

Anyone had good luck lubing these? I did not, just figured it would collect more dirt.
I'm not sure but thought maybe they changed the adjusters starting in 96? I was kind of surprised when the plastic adjuster housing broke open on mine the gears were still rust-free with just a little bit of hard white grease stuck to the inside of the plastic. But it seems like the shafts/screws were rusted/swollen where it rides against the plastic causing somewhat of a bind. Since it was apart I used the wire wheel on my grinder for taking this rust off the shafts/screws.

On all the other adjusters I just shot some PB down into them and who knows if it helps to lubricated but may stop the rust for a little while the vertical screw turned easier.

Unread 04-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
When I removed my old headlamps the square plastic clips stayed on the ball of the adjuster screw while coming out of the assembly itself. Figured why not use them over and removed the new square clips from the new headlamps. But when installing the left assembly one of the old square clips broke so used the new square clip I removed. Shouldn't you have an extra from the old headlight assembly or did both the new and old ones break?
I was in an accident, so the passenger side one was already broken. I'm probably going to just get a new headlight. Now that I've got one new one, the old one looks funny.
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #11
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugulis View Post
I was in an accident, so the passenger side one was already broken. I'm probably going to just get a new headlight. Now that I've got one new one, the old one looks funny.
Ahh, understand. Agree with just one headlight replaced it would look a little funny. If you get another new one you may end up with 2 square clips to work with, old and new, while maybe using one of them for the passenger side which broke.

I had de-glazed the front of my headlamp assemblies last year, they really didn't look all that bad, but nothing like new. But then they started leaking water over the winter with condensation inside and needed replaced. Even though I had lots of problems with the new ones they sure look a whole lot better and vast improvement in being able to see at night while driving.

Unread 05-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #12
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Would getting new adjusters and clips make it easier?
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Would getting new adjusters and clips make it easier?
It may but there's no sense in making that investment, around $40 for each headlamp assembly, unless you're going to need them. If you support the back of the adjusters when snapping the assembly in place there's a good chance you won't break them and they shouldn't need adjusted. While changing out/switching the round socket clips from old to new is a pain I wouldn't pay $7/each for them and who knows if they may also have a small socket?

Unread 05-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Either way I need the clips mine are broke. What kind of clips are there and how many will I need per headlight? I ordered my new lamps last night cost me 82 $ with shipping. Shipping was 21 $.
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #15
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Either way I need the clips mine are broke. What kind of clips are there and how many will I need per headlight? I ordered my new lamps last night cost me 82 $ with shipping. Shipping was 21 $.
Your new headlamps will come with clips. If you still need more I listed the part numbers and quantitys in post #6.

Ken
kensnelling is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.