New guy question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New guy question?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-25-2003, 03:02 PM   #1
Ians98

New guy question?

I just picked up my second Jeep, 98 GC. Bought used obviously and it is time to change the tires. I am wondering if I can squeeze 31"s under it on the stock 15's? It will be the wifes daily driver so I am not allowed to lift it just yet. Thanks for the info, is this the only forum out there for Jeeps.

Ians98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2003, 04:22 PM   #2
thunderchooch
1997 ZJ 

I don't know about the tires. I don't think you can fit 31's under there without a lift. but as far as forums go this is the best one, there are others like jeepsunlimited.com and usjeeps.com . but this one is definitely the most helpful
Kevinz Radiator support and shackles, Tom Woods driveshafts, OME SD-40 steering stabilizer, Cobra CB and PA, Bilstein Shocks, 35" BFG MUD TA KM2's, FM50, Surco Roof Rack, IRO Heavy Duty Steering and more to come soon!!
thunderchooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2003, 05:02 PM   #3
RockPaws

If you have the Up Country suspension, you can install a 30" tire. I had a 30"/9.50R15 tire, Michelin tire was the best tire for the vehicle. We ran the LTX A/T, great riding. Or you could run the new cross terrain, which rides very well.
You will need to check the tire clearence when turning. Mine had a good 1/2" from the front corner while turning.

31" would hit in turns when turning.
You could have the tire store install one, and check it on both front corners.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2003, 11:44 PM   #4
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

30 is as big as you can go without a lift.. And even with a budget boost you will need to do some small corner shaping on the bumper to clear 31's at full flex.. Nothing major just a little trim...
Unread 08-27-2003, 02:18 PM   #5
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Yes, you can fit 31s under it without a lift. Yes, they will rub everytime you turn, hit a speedbump, or any flexing of the suspension. Yet, some people insist on putting them on.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2003, 02:19 PM   #6
Skyjacked97ZJ

You can definitely get a 30x9.5 up country or not. For a 31 you could do stock, you won't flex at all and you'll have to do some trimming. Take it to a tire shop, have them throw 31's on and tell them to trim as needed. Then don't tell your wife you hacked away at her bumpers, it shouldn't be noticeable.
Skyjacked97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.