new guy to jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > new guy to jeep

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-10-2004, 10:13 AM   #1
matt j

new guy to jeep

Hey guys,
I just got a 98 jeep grand cherokee 5.9L and was curious on something.

When i have the cruise control set the truck kinda jerks every now and then. Like the RPMs will go up and then drop back down and the truck will jerk a little bit. It only does this when the cruise control is activated.

Also my fuel gauge isnt exactly right on, along with the DTE display. I ran out of gas pulling into the gas station last night and the gauge and DTE both said i had around 75 miles left in the tank (little under a quarter on the gauge). Do i have to take it to the dealership to have this recalibrated?

I want to have my horn sound when i lock my doors. I heard that you have to have it programmed to do this at the dealership. Is this true?

Thanks for the help!
Matt

matt j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2004, 04:48 PM   #2
CaptainK

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt j
Hey guys,
I just got a 98 jeep grand cherokee 5.9L and was curious on something.

When i have the cruise control set the truck kinda jerks every now and then. Like the RPMs will go up and then drop back down and the truck will jerk a little bit. It only does this when the cruise control is activated.

Also my fuel gauge isnt exactly right on, along with the DTE display. I ran out of gas pulling into the gas station last night and the gauge and DTE both said i had around 75 miles left in the tank (little under a quarter on the gauge). Do i have to take it to the dealership to have this recalibrated?

I want to have my horn sound when i lock my doors. I heard that you have to have it programmed to do this at the dealership. Is this true?

Thanks for the help!
Matt

Matt, I would check all my vaccum hoses to see if one is cracked. That is a common malady and will affect your cruise control. The fuel guage problem is common to Jeep in general and you will learn to live with it. Yes, the horn must be set to sound by the dealership as do all other electrical components of your alarm system. My advise is - do not try this at home. You may be setting yourself up for a very expensive lesson. Take it from the Captain
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2004, 06:17 PM   #3
matt j

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainK
Matt, I would check all my vaccum hoses to see if one is cracked. That is a common malady and will affect your cruise control. The fuel guage problem is common to Jeep in general and you will learn to live with it. Yes, the horn must be set to sound by the dealership as do all other electrical components of your alarm system. My advise is - do not try this at home. You may be setting yourself up for a very expensive lesson. Take it from the Captain
alright, ya i will just check the vacuum lines and such. So there is no real way to fix this fuel gauge? That sucks. I dont like dealing with electrical systems so i will take it in, probably going to rape me on charges to set it up also, but oh well. Thanks for the reply man.
matt j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2004, 10:46 AM   #4
CaptainK

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt j
alright, ya i will just check the vacuum lines and such. So there is no real way to fix this fuel gauge? That sucks. I dont like dealing with electrical systems so i will take it in, probably going to rape me on charges to set it up also, but oh well. Thanks for the reply man.

The only way I would know to change your fuel guage problem would be to change the whole thing. ( more trouble than adapting to it). Yes, the dealer will charge you out the wazoo for doing anything. The ones in my area are about $75 per hour. I don't know how long it would take to set your horn. I'd just make a mark on the gas guage with a magic marker like the race car guys do and go on if was me. The horn thing is nice to have because you can hear if your got your alarm set as you walk away. Good luck, don't sweat the small stuff.
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2004, 11:20 PM   #5
ZJGuido
1998 ZJ 

i just had my programmable features activated at the dealer. I had the horn sound when i lock the doors, auto door locks activated (doors automatically lock when speed reaches 15mph), low fuel chime activated and syncronized remote unlock activated(all doors unlock with one push of the unlock button).

Anyways, I went there prepared to pay the price, but i was in luck. The tech. told me he had to charge me $129.95 plus tax to do it, but when he saw my Jeep, he said give me $75 cash and we're even. It took him less than 5 minutes to plug in the scanner, press a couple of buttons and he was done.

I don't know if u wanna pay all that, but u might be lucky as i was. Maybe if u tell the tech. that u know what he has to do to activate the features, he just might cut u a deal!!!!!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.