New guy first jeep and loving it! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New guy first jeep and loving it!

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
Dmudd

New guy first jeep and loving it!

Well I purchased the jeep last Tuesday and love it. I paid 3000 for it and it has 185,000. I do not know what kind of lift is on it but it sits pretty high. As for things i do know i know it has 32 in super swampers tons of reciets for gaskets belts etc as well as comp cams and comp timing chain and a summit radiator. Only problem is it need one new rear shock i looked under there and it has comp pro mx6, but theres tons of them how do i figure out what one is the right one?

Dmudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
BoostinBubba
1996 ZJ 

Nice ZJ! For the shock you either need to find a part number and/or remove and measure both extended and compressed length, then talk to whatever vendor you choose and they can hook you up.

BTW: If one is bad, the others probably aren't far behind, shocks are something you usually replace in sets. At minimum, at least do both sides on the end that has the bad one.
BoostinBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
Dmudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostinBubba View Post
Nice ZJ! For the shock you either need to find a part number and/or remove and measure both extended and compressed length, then talk to whatever vendor you choose and they can hook you up.

BTW: If one is bad, the others probably aren't far behind, shocks are something you usually replace in sets. At minimum, at least do both sides on the end that has the bad one.
thanks I will go ahead and at least do the pair.
Unread 01-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Welcome! To find lift height measure from the hub to the bottom of the fender (assuming they weren't cut by the previous owner). Stock is like 18.25 or something like that I THINK (don't quote me on that though it may very well be wrong.) It looks to be something like 3 or 4 inches.

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #5
Thelt
2005 KJ Liberty 

Shocks can make a lot of difference in ride quality on a ZJ. Do not go with a cheap set or you will regret it.

I hate environmentalists, they keep me from enjoying the environment.
Thelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostinBubba View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt View Post
Shocks can make a lot of difference in ride quality on a ZJ. Do not go with a cheap set or you will regret it.
x2 on both. Don't go cheap(chances are, you WILL notice it immediately) and always do what you can to replace either 2 of them or all 4 of them at the same time. It's like replacing tires on a car. Sure you can replace just one if you don't have a choice, but it's a LOT better, and in some cases a lot safer, to replace them 2 at a time.

Congrats on the purchase and I hope it gives you many, many miles of fun! Welcome to the forum!
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 10:51 PM   #7
Dmudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead31 View Post
x2 on both. Don't go cheap(chances are, you WILL notice it immediately) and always do what you can to replace either 2 of them or all 4 of them at the same time. It's like replacing tires on a car. Sure you can replace just one if you don't have a choice, but it's a LOT better, and in some cases a lot safer, to replace them 2 at a time.

Congrats on the purchase and I hope it gives you many, many miles of fun! Welcome to the forum!
Ok I will defiantly go ahead and do two then. Are the mx6 considered cheap? I took a couple pics off the suspension today will have to upload them anther time as well as a picture of the the jeep after its first bath.
Unread 01-14-2014, 01:15 AM   #8
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmudd View Post

Ok I will defiantly go ahead and do two then. Are the mx6 considered cheap? I took a couple pics off the suspension today will have to upload them anther time as well as a picture of the the jeep after its first bath.
Sorry, I'm not good with the specific brand of suspension aside from the big name brands, someone else will have to fill you in

Sent from mobile, where errors are common and I'm too lazy to correct them.
Gearhead31 Hooah!
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 09:28 PM   #9
Dmudd

Here she is after her first bath

and here are a couple of the suspension i dont know if it will help identify the lift but when i searched i saw others did it.

Unread 01-19-2014, 04:46 PM   #10
Dmudd

one thing that bugs me is the faded plastic on the bottem what have you guys done to shine it up? Also how do you guys feel about the 3000 price? Fair? I did get it from a family friend who signed it over n said pau him when i could so it was a huge bonus considering my car broke down and had no way to get back n forth to work.
Unread 01-19-2014, 04:54 PM   #11
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

What year and motor is it? I know it's a 93-95 from the grill. 3000 was pretty high for that year and miles. Lift looks like Rough Country unless its just the steering shock he bought. Rough country is on the lower end of quality. The MX6 shocks are not cheap. I have no experience with them though. It's got some kind of HD steering on it too. Those JKS discos are nice. Those tires are terrible for the road. They will wear out fast. Excellent off road in mud and rocks. THey are expensive new. I would get other tires for a DD.

From how the oil filter is sitting I'm going to say it's the I6 in which case you overpaid by more IMO. But if you like it then the cost doesn't matter. For the faded paint people on here paint it black. It looks much better.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #12
Dmudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
What year and motor is it? I know it's a 93-95 from the grill. 3000 was pretty high for that year and miles. Lift looks like Rough Country unless its just the steering shock he bought. Rough country is on the lower end of quality. The MX6 shocks are not cheap. I have no experience with them though. It's got some kind of HD steering on it too. Those JKS discos are nice. Those tires are terrible for the road. They will wear out fast. Excellent off road in mud and rocks. THey are expensive new. I would get other tires for a DD.
thanks for the quick repley its a 95 5.2......i did see it was up there on miles. Any one know any thing about the comp cams and comp timing chain that was installed?
Unread 01-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #13
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmudd View Post
thanks for the quick repley its a 95 5.2......i did see it was up there on miles. Any one know any thing about the comp cams and comp timing chain that was installed?
You should just worry about fixing the known things that go bad for now. #1 is the plenum gasket. Also #1 is the viscous coupler. They rest is pretty much the same for all.

The comp cam stuff is interesting. It would be interesting to know if those repairs were already done.

Remove the throttle body and peer down into the intake with a flashlight and see if you can spot oil.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #14
Dmudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
You should just worry about fixing the known things that go bad for now. #1 is the plenum gasket. Also #1 is the viscous coupler. They rest is pretty much the same for all.

The comp cam stuff is interesting. It would be interesting to know if those repairs were already done.

Remove the throttle body and peer down into the intake with a flashlight and see if you can spot oil.
the comp stuff was all done this summer less the 3000 miles on it have a stack of receipts where when they took it apart replaced all the gaskets and what not. Im going to have to search the viscous coupler as i have no clue what that is. I was curious on how the comp stuff performs and how much of a upgrade it really is.
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:05 AM   #15
OldManTan
1998 ZJ 

3k is reasonable for a clean v8 zj here in southern California. I paid 2800 for my bone stock limited v8 w/170k.looks good! Enjoy it and have fun.
OldManTan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.