New guy with crunchy new ride - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New guy with crunchy new ride

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNew Hours at RUFFSTUFF!Enjoy 5% off in April 2000-2006 Jeep Wrangler Ignition Coi

Unread 01-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
ServeAces
1995 ZJ 

New guy with crunchy new ride

My first 4x4 and after lurking a few forums for a week I decided on this one.

The ride is a 95 all bone stock, no leaks, underneath looks virgin, inside is well kept and everything works.

The bad: A tractor rearended it while it was parked and it failed the Nox reading on emissions.

The good: I only paid a few Benjamins for it.

Plans: Replace the hatch and hopefully massage the latch area with a BFH, get it to pass emissions, lift it just enough to fit 32's under it and then drive the piss out of it!

ServeAces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

That left rear tire looks tweaked a little bit. Go underneath and check the condition of the frame, control arms and axle before moving forward.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

if the frame rails are bent that bad, you are in a pricey bind.. It may never end up road safe again without a lot of work.. If it is all okay, then you will have a fair bit of massaging to do with that hammer in your near future.

Jason, I think it might just be the angle of the picture and a busted up rear bumper cover(hopefully that's it). Only one way to tell though =/
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
ServeAces
1995 ZJ 

Best I can tell the frame is fine. I looked for cracks on the welds too. It was hit right above the frame. Took it for about an hour test drive to make sure it tracked straight, didn't take it above 70 though.
Unread 01-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #5
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServeAces View Post
Best I can tell the frame is fine. I looked for cracks on the welds too. It was hit right above the frame. Took it for about an hour test drive to make sure it tracked straight, didn't take it above 70 though.
Your best bet is to take it to an alignment shop. They will tell you if the axle/control arms/frame is bent.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 05:50 PM   #6
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

good idea. they can tell you the alignment on all 4 tires, 3 axis within .1 most of the time, some are even more precise.
Unread 01-31-2014, 07:12 AM   #7
Myusername1674
1995 ZJ 

Looks like a good start for a beater jeep! Throw some coils and shocks on it and take it out! hahah

[URL="http://alturl.com/22263"][COLOR="Blue"]My 5.9 swap[/COLOR] (in progress)[/URL]

[URL="http://alturl.com/x4ryd"][COLOR="Blue"]Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?[/COLOR][/URL]
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #8
ServeAces
1995 ZJ 

ok, Noob question of the year... How do you shift the transfer case between the gears? got some grinding noise when I try to put the TC back in 2 wheel drive and I never got it into 4 low. I tried while in park and neutral. heres a pic of the shifter if it helps.
Unread 02-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #9
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

you are technically supposed to be coasting slightly when shifting between the gears, especially true with between high and low gearing. Did you try that?
Unread 02-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
ServeAces
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead31 View Post
you are technically supposed to be coasting slightly when shifting between the gears, especially true with between high and low gearing. Did you try that?
that's a negative ghost rider... so I need to be rolling forward. does it matter what gear the tranny is in when I do it?
Unread 02-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #11
Purcell69
1993 ZJ 

You've got a NP231 transfer case. You should pretty much be able to shift on the fly between 2wd and 4 hi while coasting. I did this several times today driving to work, as the road switched quickly from dry to long patches of ice. Never a hiccup from my TC.

The gear should not matter.

-Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #12
ServeAces
1995 ZJ 

Thank you, going to go try it out now.
Unread 02-03-2014, 03:17 PM   #13
Bocajnala
1997 ZJ 

Between 2wd and 4hi it won't matter! When going from 4hi to 4lo you need to be going slow, slow, slow, put tranny into neutral, coast, then drop it to 4lo.
-Jake
Bocajnala is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 03:29 PM   #14
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

thanks for adding, I'm only familiar with the 242 through posts. 4-hi and 2wd is supposed to be on the fly shifting, I believe good up to 45mph without problem?(you 242 owners can correct me) The others, you should be coasting around 3-4mph when trying to engage. If you are getting grinding and major resistance in trying to shift from 2wd to 4hi, you might need some more digging around.
Unread 02-03-2014, 03:40 PM   #15
Purcell69
1993 ZJ 

I should correct what I said above. When I said "4 hi", I should have said "4 part time". There should be no issue with shifting between 2wd and 4 part time while coasting. The only time you need to slow down to 2-3 MPH is when shifting from 4 part time to 4 low. The NP231 does not have 4 hi as an option.

-Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.