1Likes
  • 1 Post By Racer505

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-30-2016, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Racer505
1995 ZJ 

Garage
New guy

Hello, just wanted to intro my self into this group. I just got a 95 ZJ from my buddy for 500 bucks. I know the history from the last 20k or so miles. Helped do a 249 to 242 swap and some other basic maintenance to it. It has 201k miles on it. Needs some work like a new radiator a windshield and it has a wireing gremlin in the tail lights but nothing major like an engine or tcase or trans. Planning on using this as a toy, project, and something to keep my dad busy in his retirement. I've always heard zj's where good off-road, so i am ready to find out how good they are. But i am lacking ideas on where to take this. I don't want to get too crazy with it but i want something that can go wheeling but be streetable also. Also want to keep this a low buck project too, which i know isn't going to happen, but i am trying to prove a point to coworkers that i can have just as much or more fun in my 500 buck jeep as they can in their 15k+ side x sides, 30k plus trailhawks and Jk's.

I have been lurking in this group for some time and have read many many posts about others users rides and i look forward to hearing what you have to say and learning as much as i can, as i am pretty new to this. And ideas or suggestions would be welcome and as i said I want to learn as much as i can from anyone willing to teach so i can do this right the first time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-30-2016, 11:56 PM
Scuba75
1994 ZJ 

First of, the tail light gremlins. What exactly are you seeing? Second, what's the budget for your build.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 10-31-2016, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Racer505
1995 ZJ 

Garage
Im pretty sure my tail light gremlins are the trailer plug my buddy hacked into it. I got to pull that out and re solder and go from there.

As far as a budget, i don't really have one. As this isn't my daily driver, it can sit in my shop til i get the money saved up to do what i want to do to it. I don't want to go crazy and spend 10k on it. i figure a couple of grand. Lift, wheels, tires, bumpers, rock sliders, stuff like that. I want to fab my own bumpers and rock sliders, may take a few times because i am not great at fabbing things. And i am not a welder more of a grinder. But all i have is time. I am going through a divorce and have all sorts of new found free time on my hands. Why not put it to good use rather than sitting around watching TV, or buying something that doesn't need work.
ROBOTYPHOON likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-31-2016, 12:18 AM
Scuba75
1994 ZJ 

You can do a lot with 2k! Remember a good set of tires will cost almost a grand. The reason I ask about the tail light issue is that I too just solved a one in my '94. They're is a lamp failure module behind the panel that suits behind the spare tire (left side rear quarter panel) they have a tenancy to burn up. You can check it by simply removing both wiring harnesses from the module and plugging them together. All the module does is send a signal to the computer to tell you that a bulb is out. So you don't really need it, not one can be found I eBay for ~$25. I traced wires all over the place, trying too find a bad ground or something else, I removed the module and my taillight gremlin died a quick death.

post #5 of 6 Old 10-31-2016, 12:21 AM
Scuba75
1994 ZJ 

As far as the build, once you figure out which direction you want to go, pm Kolak on this site. This guy is a vendor on the site and can get you what you need at great prices. Real nice guy too.

post #6 of 6 Old 10-31-2016, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Racer505
1995 ZJ 

Garage
I want something that can do trails, Being from indiana we have mainly mud and rocks. I have been down to Redbird with my buddies and they have a good mix of trails. But i want something streetable too. I do want to plate and drive it to where i want to go. i don't want a 7in lift with 44's. I was thinking 3.5 to 4.5 with 31's or 32's. Been looking at treadwright for tires. I have heard good things about their retreads and we used them in the military. And just some black steel wheels. Nothing fancy. I just not sure on lifts. Which kits to buy and stuff. I see i can spend 350 on a lift or i can spend 1500 on a lift or anywhere inbetween. I just want to know what's best and worth the money. I hate wasting my hard earned cash as i am sure most anyone does. If i need a 1500 dollar lift to make it drive straight down the highway and be safe or get though a nasty trail, then that's what i will save up for. if i can get by cheaper that's cool also. This isn't something i have to drive so if it has to sit for 6 months then so be it.

I was a aircraft then vechicle mechanic in the Air Force so there isn't much i can't do wrenching wise, fabrication is my weakness. So that is why i want to make my own bumpers and stuff like that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.