new GC owner with some questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > new GC owner with some questions

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 03-06-2005, 12:03 PM   #1
lowbugetzj

new GC owner with some questions

hi all new GC owner with some questions. just got a 94 GC w/ 87,000 miles for a good deal. it needs some work but that not a problem. heres my question i bought it from some one who only had it about 4 months but it runs and drives great. he told me it was only 4WD but my father has a 96 and i know it has 2WD. after i got it i tried the 2WD and it works fine no noises at all but in 4wd it makes alittle nosie if making a real sharp turn but the 4WD works fine other than that. could that be transfer case or some type of mounts? i looked under the car and dont see any oil leaks from the transfer case just alittle from the rear dif and alittle leaking from somewhere in the front pass side by the oil filter area and of corse a valve cover leak any help appreciated thanks. am also looking into a lift kit of some sort because the shocks are shot and i need some height so i figured i'd kill 2 birds w/ 1 stone

lowbugetzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2005, 12:11 PM   #2
matt.x
1995 ZJ 

the answer partially depends on what transfer case you have.
What are the selections you have on your shifter?

NP231 (dont remember if this came in the GC - command trac): 2wd - 4 Hi - N - 4 Lo
NP241 (selec-trac) : 2wd - 4 Part Time - 4 Full Time - N - 4 LO
NP249 (quadra-trac) : 4 Hi - N - 4 Lo

Matthew
Red Jeep Club Member #237
matt.x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2005, 12:14 PM   #3
lowbugetzj

thats the weired thing on the shifter it only says 4 hi and 4 low but i shifted it into 2wd but it doesnt say that on the shifter
Unread 03-07-2005, 11:52 PM   #4
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

You need to do two things:
1. Crawl under the Jeep and take a look at the transfer case. Look for a round metal label that tells you what kind of TC you have. It'll probably say something like NP 249 or NP 242 or NP 231 (it could also say NV instead of NP, but that isn't important).
2. While you are under the Jeep, remove the filler plug and check the fluid level in your TC. Low fluid level will cause excessive noise.

HTH
Unread 03-09-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
lowbugetzj

we'll i crawled under the jeep and i have a np 231 case was wondering what those noises could be when making sharp u turns. could it be something easy like fluid or mounts? if not how hard is it to swap in a np 242? any help greatly appreciated
Unread 03-09-2005, 11:43 AM   #6
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Since you have the 231, your bezel should be labeled:
2wd - 4 Part Time - 4 Full Time - N - 4 LO.
If it isn't, then you may be shifting into 4PT rather than 4FT. If you are in 4PT on dry pavement, your driveline is going to make noise while making turns. And yes, low fluid can causes excessive noise in the TC.

HTH
Unread 03-09-2005, 04:04 PM   #7
Chrisca

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbugetzj
thats the weired thing on the shifter it only says 4 hi and 4 low but i shifted it into 2wd but it doesnt say that on the shifter
How did you shift it into 2WD if it doesn't say it has 2WD?
Unread 03-09-2005, 06:20 PM   #8
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisca
How did you shift it into 2WD if it doesn't say it has 2WD?
If you push the selector lever as far forward as it will go, it'll be in 2WD regardless of the label on the bezel.
Unread 03-10-2005, 11:58 AM   #9
blkfreedom03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvd
Since you have the 231, your bezel should be labeled:
2wd - 4 Part Time - 4 Full Time - N - 4 LO.
If it isn't, then you may be shifting into 4PT rather than 4FT. If you are in 4PT on dry pavement, your driveline is going to make noise while making turns. And yes, low fluid can causes excessive noise in the TC.

HTH
If you have the 242, the above is true. The 231 really has 2 high, 4 high, neutral, and 4 low. This should only be used on loose gravel, snow, mud, or slick surfaces.

Black Jeep Society
blkfreedom03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.