new gauges installed in the niner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > new gauges installed in the niner

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-20-2007, 11:05 AM   #1
Jonny5.9

new gauges installed in the niner

I bought the gauges off ebay and they were $50, here is the link if you want to pick them up yourself:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...1844559&rd=1,1

I also bought a couple things at the pharmacy to jazz up the install:

when I took the gauge cluster out to install the gauges i colored the bevelled lip in the rings around the gauges on the overlay with the silver paint pens, and took the red sharpie to the needles so they would match the gauges which have red writing instead of orange. This is how it turned out:

the gauges come with a brain and a switch that has a dimmer on one side and a switch from green to blue on the other side. I only use the green though since the interior lights of the jeep are green anyway. the switch even has a jeep logo on it that glows, im not sure if thats copyright infringement or what but it looks great.

gauges without the needles on:

with the needles:

heres a better picture of the switch installed so you can see it:

I took a voltage meter to the cluster of wires running from the back of the headlight switch and turned the switch and tested all of them and decided to tap into the wire that controls the auto headlights, this way when i turn the car off and the headlights stay on for a short period of time (i dont know what that feature is called but i think its so women dont get raped), either way i tapped into that wire and the gauges stay glowing until those shut off. i think the whole project took about 2 hours but thats because i take my time to try and make things look factory and not ricer. $4 worth of sharpies made a big difference in how it turned out i think too.

Last edited by Jonny5.9; 02-20-2007 at 11:54 AM..
Jonny5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
Jonny5.9

i fixed it arlo repost it
Unread 02-20-2007, 11:26 AM   #3
ras2001wj
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5.9
I bought the gauges off ebay and they were $50, here is the link if you want to pick them up yourself:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...1844559&rd=1,1

I also bought a couple things at the pharmacy to jazz up the instal-

when I took the gauge cluster out to install the gauges i colored the bevelled lip in the rings around the gauges on the overlay with the silver paint pens, and took the red sharpie to the needles so they would match the gauges which have red writing instead of orange. This is how it turned out:

the gauges come with a brain and a switch that has a dimmer on one side and a switch from green to blue on the other side. I only use the green though since the interior lights of the jeep are green anyway. the switch even has a jeep logo on it that glows, im not sure if thats copyright infringement or what but it looks great.

gauges without the needles on:

with the needles:

heres a better picture of the switch installed so you can see it:

I took a voltage meter to the cluster of wires running from the back of the headlight switch and turned the switch and tested all of them and decided to tap into the wire that controls the auto headlights, this way when i turn the car off and the headlights stay on for a short period of time (i dont know what that feature is called but i think its so women dont get raped), either way i tapped into that wire and the gauges stay glowing until those shut off. i think the whole project took about 2 hours but thats because i take my time to try and make things look factory and not ricer. $4 worth of sharpies made a big difference in how it turned out i think too.
fixed?

damn right it is, only took me a half hour (I was bored), do yourself a favor, ditch imageshack and go to photobucket/

[SIZE="3"][B]2001 WJ Laredo 4.0[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][B]2" BB
245/75R16 [/B][/SIZE]
[B]
[COLOR="Red"]Ron [/COLOR][COLOR="White"]Paul[/COLOR][COLOR="White"][/COLOR][/B][COLOR="Blue"] 2012[/COLOR]
"Freedoms Popular"

Last edited by ras2001wj; 02-20-2007 at 12:04 PM..
ras2001wj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2007, 11:52 AM   #4
Jonny5.9

ahah i dont know i thought i did, THANKS

Last edited by Jonny5.9; 02-20-2007 at 12:07 PM..
Unread 02-20-2007, 12:02 PM   #5
FivePointTwo
1998 ZJ 

looks good
Unread 02-20-2007, 12:16 PM   #6
ajmorell

Totally unrelated, but I just realized the irony of the quote in ras2001wj's sig. from Blaine.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2007, 12:28 PM   #7
Wiley

Looks great! I like the look of white gauges in certain vehicles.

1993 ZJ Laredo

5.2 V8 4" lift 31s JKS f & r track bars JKS discos Cragar Soft 8s DT 3000s OME Stabilizer
K&N drop-in Dynomax Exhaust Hella 500s Westin Safari Bar KOR Radiator Support
Dark Rosewood Jeep Club Member #5
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2007, 12:39 PM   #8
1995zj
1998 ZJ 

looks awesome
Unread 02-20-2007, 12:41 PM   #9
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell
Totally unrelated, but I just realized the irony of the quote in ras2001wj's sig. from Blaine.
I think that is why it was there. It was a quote from like 8 months ago...
Unread 02-20-2007, 12:43 PM   #10
ras2001wj
2001 WJ 

Now that you decided yo keep the dub, i guess i can take that out of there.......maybe not.......

I just stumbled on it by accident and realized it was funny

[SIZE="3"][B]2001 WJ Laredo 4.0[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][B]2" BB
245/75R16 [/B][/SIZE]
[B]
[COLOR="Red"]Ron [/COLOR][COLOR="White"]Paul[/COLOR][COLOR="White"][/COLOR][/B][COLOR="Blue"] 2012[/COLOR]
"Freedoms Popular"
ras2001wj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2007, 12:54 PM   #11
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras2001wj
Now that you decided yo keep the dub, i guess i can take that out of there.......maybe not.......

I just stumbled on it by accident and realized it was funny
I think you can keep it in there because I think Blaine again decided to sell the dub
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #12
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell
I think you can keep it in there because I think Blaine again decided to sell the dub
It is always for sale... I decided to keep it and get a JK in a few years.
Unread 02-20-2007, 01:25 PM   #13
SlimGoaty
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Nice job in the guage install. I was thinking about doing the same in my 97 since Its white and I think the guages would look neat.

My buildup on CherokeeForum

97 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231, RE 5.5, Tom Woods DS, AA SYE, 35x12.50 KM2,
Upgraded Harness, PIAA bulbs, Rustys Tie-Rod, L&L Fab bumper,
Quadratec 9500i Winch, Aussie locker, 4.88's
SlimGoaty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.