New Exhaust=Code 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New Exhaust=Code 21

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
billd

New Exhaust=Code 21

Hi! I have a 95 Gr. Cherokee with a 5.2
I just put a new cat.converter and a muffler on and now after 5 minutes of
driving the Check engine light comes on. It really ran crappy immediately after doing the install but has since smoothed out somewhat.
The code I pulled is 21 for the oxygen sensor.
Don't quite get how components downstream can affect the sensor?
How can I fix this? Thoughts?
Will it hurt it to drive it this way?

Thanx!!

billd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

You will burn more gas.

You did the install or a shop?
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
billd

I did the work.
Unread 10-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #4
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Code 21 is an electrical problem. Last time I saw that code it was a broken wire.

Did you reset the computer?
Unread 10-01-2014, 11:17 AM   #5
billd

Yes, being a 95 I had to undo the neg. battery cable. That worked and the code is gone. I haven't driven it yet to see if the code will return, however. Getting ready to do that now. The old cat. conv. was toast and all broken down inside. I had a 13" Flowmaster muffler on it and replaced that with a 18" OEM sized Walker muffler. It really ran like crap during the test drive after doing the work but has smoothed out considerably.
Gonna go test drive it again now.
Unread 10-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #6
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Mine acted like that when a wire was broken. Code always came back after a couple minutes. Hopefully yours will stay gone.

If it does come back, I guess I would check the wiring first. After that the obvious...replace the sensor. There is a heater inside the 02 sensor. If the heater opens electrically, that will cause the code.
Unread 10-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
billd

Yeah, the code came back after about 2 miles. It's weird because if I turn the engine off and restart the code is gone until I drive a few miles. Don't get it as before the new components ...no light. And I was no where near the O2 sensor. I looked at it briefly and there was nothing obvious with the wires from the sensor. I'm wondering if she doesn't like the new muffler. Maybe a bit more back pressure could be causing this. She has 180,000 on the clock and has never given me this kind of grief. I guess I'll try replacing the sensor. It's gonna be a bear, though, as it's probably been in there since 95.
Unread 10-02-2014, 03:28 AM   #8
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billd View Post
\ it's probably been in there since 95.
more the reason to change it. get an ntk brand sensor. others may cause problems.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #9
billd

Yeah....I know. All I gotta do now is figure a way to get it out. I've had round 1 with it already.
Unread 10-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #10
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

i had good luck with remove it while the pipe is hot.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.