New exhaust - 2.5" catback or what..? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New exhaust - 2.5" catback or what..?

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 09-30-2011, 01:20 AM   #1
cherokeen
2001 WJ 

New exhaust - 2.5" catback or what..?

Been quoted cheaply for a 2.5" catback installed but i do want something with a good sound. I was going to consider a flowmaster 44 but undecided, is there much price difference and much power/sound difference between a flowmaster 44 and just a catback?

4.0L

cherokeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 01:24 AM   #2
PeriwinkleZJ
1993 ZJ 

I loved the sound of my IRO 2.5" cat back on my 4.0. I had the Generic baffled 'flowmaster type' muffler.
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_C ode=IR-Z_IEK&Category_Code=PFZ

Or you could email Kolak about his exhaust.
-1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 5.2, Mopar CAI, Borla headers, Borla Y-pipe, Turn down exhaust, 4" RC SA, 33x12.50r15 BfGoodrich Km2, Crown extended brake lines, IRO Double Shear Track bar, IRO HD tie rod, Home made Quick discos, E-fan, Heavy duty harness/9007 bulb conversion, HP30 WJ knuckles lockrite solid cover.

BUILD THREAD:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...-jeep-1133312/
PeriwinkleZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 02:52 AM   #3
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeriwinkleZJ View Post
I loved the sound of my IRO 2.5" cat back on my 4.0. I had the Generic baffled 'flowmaster type' muffler.
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_C ode=IR-Z_IEK&Category_Code=PFZ

Or you could email Kolak about his exhaust.
Do you have a soundclip of that c/b?

[b][color=red]2002 Trans Am[/b][/color]
Cam, Full Exhaust, Stock Heads, Stock LS6 Intake and Stock 10 bolt with 3.42s
[b]420 RWHP and 382 RWHTQ[/b]
torchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 05:36 AM   #4
Kolak
Vendor

The muffler that's best for the 4.0 is going to depend on how free-flowing you make the exhaust.

If you're just doing a muffler swap and keeping the rest of the exhaust stock, a Super 40 or 44 might sound OK.

If you are doing a complete exhaust with a high flow converter and 2.5" mandrel bent tailpipe, those mufflers are overly loud and a bit "ricey" sounding on the 4.0. Not to mention that they also have a lot of drone and resonance.

In the end it depends on your goals and your budget. If you just want better sound than a muffler swap is A-OK. But if you want more power you really need to not only replace the muffler and tailpipe, but also the converter as it is a large restriction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeen View Post
Been quoted cheaply for a 2.5" catback installed but i do want something with a good sound. I was going to consider a flowmaster 44 but undecided, is there much price difference and much power/sound difference between a flowmaster 44 and just a catback?

4.0L
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 05:42 AM   #5
leadfootny
1996 ZJ 

I have a turbo muffler on mine. Sounds a bit loud on idle but has a real nice tone on accel...kind of throaty, or at least as much as a 6cyl can do. I have a cheapo cherry bomb brand but a dynomax or walker would sound about the same with better construction. 44's sound real nice on 8cyl..i doubt it would sound that good on the 6
Unread 09-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
PeriwinkleZJ
1993 ZJ 

Sorry, no sound clips.
-1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 5.2, Mopar CAI, Borla headers, Borla Y-pipe, Turn down exhaust, 4" RC SA, 33x12.50r15 BfGoodrich Km2, Crown extended brake lines, IRO Double Shear Track bar, IRO HD tie rod, Home made Quick discos, E-fan, Heavy duty harness/9007 bulb conversion, HP30 WJ knuckles lockrite solid cover.

BUILD THREAD:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...-jeep-1133312/
PeriwinkleZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
bowstryder
1998 ZJ 

Actually if you want more power from the 4.slo you need to get a muffler shop to make you a true 2.5" s pipe. Our factory pipes cut down to almost 1.75 at the bends. You do this and you WILL notice a difference.
bowstryder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.