New exhaust - 2.5" catback or what..? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New exhaust - 2.5" catback or what..?

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-30-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
cherokeen
2001 WJ 

New exhaust - 2.5" catback or what..?

Been quoted cheaply for a 2.5" catback installed but i do want something with a good sound. I was going to consider a flowmaster 44 but undecided, is there much price difference and much power/sound difference between a flowmaster 44 and just a catback?

4.0L

cherokeen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2011, 02:24 AM   #2
PeriwinkleZJ
1993 ZJ 

I loved the sound of my IRO 2.5" cat back on my 4.0. I had the Generic baffled 'flowmaster type' muffler.
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_C ode=IR-Z_IEK&Category_Code=PFZ

Or you could email Kolak about his exhaust.
-1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 5.2, Mopar CAI, Borla headers, Borla Y-pipe, Turn down exhaust, 4" RC SA, 33x12.50r15 BfGoodrich Km2, Crown extended brake lines, IRO Double Shear Track bar, IRO HD tie rod, Home made Quick discos, E-fan, Heavy duty harness/9007 bulb conversion, HP30 WJ knuckles lockrite solid cover.

BUILD THREAD:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...-jeep-1133312/
PeriwinkleZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2011, 03:52 AM   #3
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeriwinkleZJ View Post
I loved the sound of my IRO 2.5" cat back on my 4.0. I had the Generic baffled 'flowmaster type' muffler.
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_C ode=IR-Z_IEK&Category_Code=PFZ

Or you could email Kolak about his exhaust.
Do you have a soundclip of that c/b?

[b][color=red]2002 Trans Am[/b][/color]
Cam, Full Exhaust, Stock Heads, Stock LS6 Intake and Stock 10 bolt with 3.42s
[b]420 RWHP and 382 RWHTQ[/b]
torchd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2011, 06:36 AM   #4
Kolak
Vendor

The muffler that's best for the 4.0 is going to depend on how free-flowing you make the exhaust.

If you're just doing a muffler swap and keeping the rest of the exhaust stock, a Super 40 or 44 might sound OK.

If you are doing a complete exhaust with a high flow converter and 2.5" mandrel bent tailpipe, those mufflers are overly loud and a bit "ricey" sounding on the 4.0. Not to mention that they also have a lot of drone and resonance.

In the end it depends on your goals and your budget. If you just want better sound than a muffler swap is A-OK. But if you want more power you really need to not only replace the muffler and tailpipe, but also the converter as it is a large restriction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeen View Post
Been quoted cheaply for a 2.5" catback installed but i do want something with a good sound. I was going to consider a flowmaster 44 but undecided, is there much price difference and much power/sound difference between a flowmaster 44 and just a catback?

4.0L
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2011, 06:42 AM   #5
leadfootny
1996 ZJ 

I have a turbo muffler on mine. Sounds a bit loud on idle but has a real nice tone on accel...kind of throaty, or at least as much as a 6cyl can do. I have a cheapo cherry bomb brand but a dynomax or walker would sound about the same with better construction. 44's sound real nice on 8cyl..i doubt it would sound that good on the 6
Unread 09-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
PeriwinkleZJ
1993 ZJ 

Sorry, no sound clips.
-1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 5.2, Mopar CAI, Borla headers, Borla Y-pipe, Turn down exhaust, 4" RC SA, 33x12.50r15 BfGoodrich Km2, Crown extended brake lines, IRO Double Shear Track bar, IRO HD tie rod, Home made Quick discos, E-fan, Heavy duty harness/9007 bulb conversion, HP30 WJ knuckles lockrite solid cover.

BUILD THREAD:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...-jeep-1133312/
PeriwinkleZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
bowstryder
1998 ZJ 

Actually if you want more power from the 4.slo you need to get a muffler shop to make you a true 2.5" s pipe. Our factory pipes cut down to almost 1.75 at the bends. You do this and you WILL notice a difference.
bowstryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.