New Door Weatherstripping... Door won't close - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New Door Weatherstripping... Door won't close

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE KitsTruc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 10-22-2008, 05:37 AM   #1
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

New Door Weatherstripping... Door won't close

I just replaced the weatherstrip around the front passenger door opening using the replacement from Rockauto. The weatherstrip appeared to be the right kind, and it went on just fine, but now I'm having trouble closing the door all the way. It will latch to the first detent, but stay open about 1/2". If I really slam it while applying some downward pressure to the door, it will close all the way. But then I can feel the strain on the latch when I go to open it again. I'm afraid of what the slamming and the strain is doing to the latch.

Anyone else replace their weatherstrip and have this trouble? The old weatherstrip was definitely compressed after 15 years. The forward edge appeared to not be making contact at all. I expected a tight fit with the new strip, but not this bad. It's locked on to the pinch weld all the way around, and I can't see anywhere where the bead might be curled over and interfering, although the new bead is definitely springier and firmer.

It was probably in the low-60's, high-50's when I installed it last night. Should I have waited for warmer weather to allow the rubber to be softer? I didn't mangle the old one, so I can re-install it if I need to. I'd really rather not spend the whole winter slamming that door, especially if I have passengers.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.