New compressor & AC system questions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New compressor & AC system questions

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #16
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Don't know why the head pressure wouldn't be closer to 250-300psi, rather than 200psi, and hopefully it will somehow equal out. The spec for "Refrigerant Charge Capacity" for a completely empty system on my 96 4.0 is listed as 1.75 lbs rather than in ounces. Hope I did the conversion right by multiplying 1.75lbs x 16oz/lb = 28 liquid ounces. Added about 28-30oz to the system but may have left a couple ounces in the hoses. Going to recheck the whole system after driving a while.

Interesting about hosing the condenser down while refilling and had forgotten about that. One thing which worried me is when I shut the AC off then engine down I could hear a hissing coming somewhere near the lines/connections on the condenser. But I couldn't find any leaks and hope it was just pressure going though the lines, or maybe the orifice located there, because the condenser was so hot.

I'll admit I get confused on the way the manifold gauges work and figured later opening both H/L valves showing a pressure of 120psi on both sides told me nothing. I did just charge through the low pressure side and finally disconnected the the high side while stopping the 2nd can charge even though I had the high side valve off.

On the loaner manifold gauges I used to borrow from the local auto parts store there were no directions/user manual with them so I searched it out, printed it, and returned it with the gauges. Wish I would have saved a copy since my "Actron CP7806 Air Conditioning Manifold Gauge Set" came with no user manual and none available through Actron as can be seen below.

http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16360

Thanks for the input a70eliminator and you've offered some real good advice a couple times in this thread!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #17
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Whats the air temp coming out of the vents? Is the suction line sweating or cool to the touch back to the comp? You don't want it icy cold all the way back. That would mean you could have liquid back to the manifold and you don't want to hammer the comp. Just trying to help.
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #18
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Wish I would have had a vent thermometer coralman and never checked the temp coming out of the vents. I don't think the lines are icy cold clear back to the compressor and finally drove it today with the AC on some. I'll double check it and thanks for the input.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.