New Cat. Or Straight Pipe? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New Cat. Or Straight Pipe?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-05-2003, 12:44 PM   #1
GrandRubicon155

New Cat. Or Straight Pipe?

well my cat. converter is rattleing very badly so i'm pretty sure it's burnt out. after 170,000 i think that's a safe bet. now the issue is should i get a new stock cat. a high flow cat. or just put a test pipe on, and get a cat. in 2 years when i have to get emmisions done. i have a flowmaster exhaust, do you think the straight pipe would make a noticable difference? what do you guys think?

sean

Unread 09-05-2003, 03:15 PM   #2
Joseph Humphrey

it would all depend on what you are going to be using your zj for...? if its just a street jeep i would get a stock cat.
if you are trying to put together a performance jeep and a little off roading, get a high flo cat.
if its just a rock crawler, just put a straight 3" pipe from the headers...

sorry if my reply really doesnot answer your question, but there you go just the same.
The Almighty 2" BB Jeep Club Member #34 (no more BB)
----------------
[B]Silver 98 ZJ 4.0 I-6[/B]
K&N FIPK Gen II
JKS Adjustable Track Bars F and R
JKS Adjustable Control Arms
JKS Quicker Disco's
Kevins 3.5" Lift Kit w/ MX-6 Shocks
US Wheel 15x8 10 spoke black Steelies, 31" BFG AT KO rubber
Joseph Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2003, 10:48 AM   #3
boing

I say forget about stock either go high flow or no cat

Boing
boing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2003, 07:53 PM   #4
Camster

well i'd say definitly don't get another stock cat. if you're going to have to replace it why not get one that's going to enhance performance. the price difference is not that much. if you want to take the risk just put a strait pipe in, it will enhance performance the most but if you get caught it's going to be hell to pay.

either way there will be a noticable difference in exhaust sound.

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/davidpage/Camsjeep.html]My Jeep[/url]
Camster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2003, 09:53 AM   #5
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2002 WJ 

If you use it on road at all, put a cat on it. The fine isn't worth not having one if you get caught.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2003, 03:19 PM   #6
badnews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whybu1
If you use it on road at all, put a cat on it. The fine isn't worth not having one if you get caught.
Oh, yeah the cops hand out a lot of tickets for that here ------- not.
2003 Jeep Sahara --------- Green Jeep club member #51
badnews is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2003, 09:29 AM   #7
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2002 WJ 

OK, just be warned. If you have state inspection it won't pass, mechanics at a reputable place can't legally work on your Jeep and IF you are caught by some officer who just happens to notice it you will pay way more than teh cost of the new high flow cat. Your dime, just trying to help.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2003, 12:12 PM   #8
techie

I say go with OEM and an exhaust cutout. Best of both worlds. Stock when you want it, everyday driving and 'need to be legal' times, then just open it up when you need straight pipe performance. I don't know if they check for an exhaust cutout during vehicle/emmision inspections though.

Depending where you put it, before cat or after cat will make a difference in performance increase. Just check around for one with a good reputation. Some switch between one way or the other. Some just open to flow through both. I've seen some people disatisfied with certain brands when I was checking them out once online.
techie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2003, 02:25 PM   #9
Skyjacked97ZJ

I'd recomend not replacing it with another stock one. Get a high flow cat if your really worried about the ticket thing, but personally I'd run a straight pipe and worry about emmisions when the time comes for inspection.
Skyjacked97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2003, 09:34 PM   #10
199859Limited

Gutting Cat

Would it just be possible to gut the inside of the existing cat, maybe taking a large pipe and just hamering on the honeycomb untill you have a straight shot?
199859Limited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2003, 02:51 AM   #11
horatio102
Web Wheeler

A lot of people gut their cats. If you're broke, fine. But if you can afford to, just get a high flow cat. They do make a difference in the sound and performance. I don't have cats in my Dodge, but it came that way from the factory. And trust me, it was hell getting a muffler shop to weld up my exhaust without them.
If you remove the cat on an OBD2 vehicle you'll most likely get a CEL.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2003, 09:37 AM   #12
GrandRubicon155

hey guys, i got a high-flow cat installed and i love it. i couldn't believe the sound difference it made. with the 40 series muffler my jeep sounds incredible. thanks for all the help.

sean
Unread 11-19-2003, 09:42 AM   #13
KillerZJ

Was it a deeper rumble? how does it sound on the high-end? do you have a 4.0 or a 5.2? I'm looking at a 40 series and I was just going to remove the cat. SC doesnt have emissions testing! How would it sound for me?

Wow no pictures in sig? F*cking gay.[/FONT]
KillerZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.