New brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New brakes

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Unread 05-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
garretthadsell
1998 ZJ 

New brakes

Im in need of replacing my brakes and rotors. I'm looking at the drilled and slotted rotors any one have then on there jeep? would they be good I only do the occasional off roading. Or should I just get solid ones?

garretthadsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

PM Kolak, he has made a bunch of people on here very happy with some drilled and slotted rotors he has.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Ive heard this discussion go both ways. I personally dont like drilled rotors because I like to wheel and drilled/slotted rotors just pack with snow and mud. If you want some better brakes look into EBC stuff. They are pricey but heard they make a difference. These jeeps just dont have a very good (competent) braking system unfortunately w/o swapping to bigger, better components.

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I run bosch rotors and performance friction pads on the front on mine and they're great. Eventually wj calipers are the way to go.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:44 AM   #5
Kolak
Vendor

I've recommend Stillen cross-drilled rotors for Jeeps for over 15 years and you will be very impressed with them. They do all their machining and drilling in their southern California and use on the finest quality one-piece cast rotors. Send me a PM here on the forum and I'll get back to you with information and pricing. I have them on special now too
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 03:52 AM   #6
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

I'm running drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads on my Jeep, and I have no complaints.
Unread 05-10-2013, 05:12 AM   #7
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Drilled/slotted rotors benefit repeated high-speed braking. You are driving a Jeep not a race car. The most cost effective upgrade would be quality brake pads. I recommend Hawk HPS.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
I run bosch rotors and performance friction pads on the front on mine and they're great. Eventually wj calipers are the way to go.
This guy knows what's up

Performance Friction pads are what I run on my SRT-4 and my wife's WJ and they are excellent, low dusting hard biting pads.

I have Bosch solid rotors on my SRT, and they are very high quality pieces, but a little spendy.

I just recently installed a set of Brakeperformance.com slotted only rotors on the front of my wife's WJ and have been very impressed with them so far. WJ's are known for warping rotors up front (with either brake caliper setup) and the last set of Raybestos drilled and slotted rotors went 35k before they were too thin to reuse. That sold me on the importance of keeping the rotors cooler for longer service life.

I should note that my wife's WJ was our only offroad vehicle and made many trips up and down Parley's Canyon here in Utah loaded with camping gear and I never once overheated the brakes or experienced brake fade.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

We carry some great brake pad and rotor kits for your Jeep Grand Cherokee. Here's a link to them on our site Jeep Grand Cherokee Brake Pads and Rotors

I used to run slotted rotors on my WJ, what I didn't like about them is that they would make noise when coming to a stop, have since switch back to the ones we carry on both of my Jeeps. They're made really well.

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I got mine through kolak. Stillen cross drilled rotors with performance friction carbon metallic front pads and metal matrix rear pads. Stop great, no more shake (my old ones were warped). Test of time will only tell, but so far I'm extremely happy with them.

If you go to my build thread below, you can see a pics of the stillens I got when I installed them.
Unread 05-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

X3 on the performance friction pads. I've had them on all my vehicles for the past ten years. No complaints, very good wear, very good braking.
zjosh93 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.