New beater ZJ, some??? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New beater ZJ, some???

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 12-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #46
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

^^^Thx man, Those Are Good pointers about the ABS system.

No its a 95, with a 98 niner interior and hood'n bumber, thats why i got interested and it was almost given to me, it was planned to be my Winter beater, but them i bought the 04HO, and now its just my project, its kinda cool, it will be a fun Jeep.

R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #47
Purcell69
1993 ZJ 

If the Magnum engine uses the same beer keg looking intake manifold as the Dodge pickups use, you may have a leaking plenum gasket at the base of the intake manifold. It is a common failure, since the plenum is steel and the manifold is aluminum. The dissimilar metals cause the gasket to start leaking over time, which may account for your failed emissions on the inspection. If you can see wet oily substance in the bottom of the intake manifold, you have a leak. Hopefully this is not the problem you are having.

-Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #48
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purcell69 View Post
If the Magnum engine uses the same beer keg looking intake manifold as the Dodge pickups use, you may have a leaking plenum gasket at the base of the intake manifold. It is a common failure, since the plenum is steel and the manifold is aluminum. The dissimilar metals cause the gasket to start leaking over time, which may account for your failed emissions on the inspection. If you can see wet oily substance in the bottom of the intake manifold, you have a leak. Hopefully this is not the problem you are having.

-Joe
They do, it's the same motor for the 5.2 and 5.9. All are cursed with the phantom of the plenum gasket.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #49
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Hmmm i will check That out,

Got parts from Kolak today, 8 days from AZ USA > Norway, pretty impressive to me, guess paying That USPS EMS shipping was worth every penny.

Parts arrieved,
Rear hatch supports for 2 ZJ's
Brake shoe assembly kit
Front Lower Control arms

Next will be to find some time to Get at it.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Unread 12-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #50
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You don't even have to guess if the plenum is leaking. It leaks on 100% of ZJ's from the factory eventually. Mine had started leaking before I bought it at 127k miles. It was a mistake they made putting a steel pan on a aluminum block. Those two metals heat and cool at different temps so it squeezes the gasket out.

Here is the solution, or you could just weld it shut. http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...p?partid=27091
Unread 12-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #51
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Stock plenum is never tight . My 5.9's are hitting 140-150k and I noticed a oil consumption increase last oil change but always went through a little . Definitely something I need to get at .

My Orvis , it only has 58k on it's engine from a 01 Ram . I did the plenum on it 4ish years ago with a fel-pro gasket and some anaerobic gasket maker lightly spread on both sides of the gasket . Everyone swears by the alum. plate , but , that works too The oil level is the same after 3-4k on that jeep .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #52
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Got around to do some Work today,

Disassemblied and cleaned out rear brakes,
ABS sensors,

image-1331366301.jpg

its was ****ty in there, mounted new parking brake shoe kit.

image-2004358594.jpg

Retorqued pinion nut, really tight now, but still not 115gr/1m arm to spin it, afraid to tighten it more so put it back together again.

New rear hatch supports.

image-3627694326.jpg

Reassemblied brakes and wheels and Adjusted the handbrake, thats it for today.

Unread 01-05-2014, 12:04 PM   #53
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Update on todays progress,

Exhaust clamps before and after cat,

image-1580618269.jpg

image-3667565894.jpg

Sparks plugs, old was Way over gapped, hopefully this will Get me threw on emmision.

image-2538339960.jpg

Left lower control arm, bushing at axle side was all toast, and sleeve stuck to bolt.

image-3489209054.jpg

Took me hours to cut and split the sleeve, but the ones That aint giving in, win

image-2929405404.jpg

image-874145478.jpg
image-2087988384.jpg

image-1911641947.jpg

Unread 01-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #54
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Your drive shaft looks F'ed. Is it?
Unread 01-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #55
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Idk, i think its ok, what you see That indicates That?

Unread 01-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #56
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ4x4LIFE View Post
Always a great start to do the maintenance first and then go from there. Oh, by the way that broken front driver's side turn signal light assembly lens is killing me! hahaha. Keep it up!
lol
that splice on the alt power wire is killing me
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #57
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk View Post
Idk, i think its ok, what you see That indicates That?
I guess it's just the angle at which the pic is taken. Looks like it's bent.
Unread 01-05-2014, 01:21 PM   #58
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

That driveshaft does look wrong.
Plugs look good! no engine problems likely
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #59
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol that splice on the alt power wire is killing me
Me too, as an electrician, i cant handle to see things like That, its on my list to Fix, PO did many strange thinghy's, like the conection made at the IAC/TPS wireing, shorting to the block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
I guess it's just the angle at which the pic is taken. Looks like it's bent.
Yeah, its the angle, also its jacked up in the front, had no problem with it so far, boot look ok.

Unread 01-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #60
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome
That driveshaft does look wrong. Plugs look good! no engine problems likely
Engine runs very Nice now after everything i did.
Havent got around to drive it much as i dont have the licence plates yet, and no other ZJ to take from lol

Didnt pass inspection, due to to high CO2 if i remember correct.
Fixed leak before and after cat and changed plugs, if That aint curring it, i will investigate intake leak as recomended before.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.