New beater ZJ, some??? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > New beater ZJ, some???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 11-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #31
WJ4x4LIFE

WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #32
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjforlife1995 View Post
Swap to a 4.0 crate motor.
I smell a troll. Nah stay with the 5.2 it's a solid motor at least from my small experiences with it.

Sent from my couch using JeepForum app

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #33
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Loooong Jeep day with happy ending today.

My first attempt to do a pinion seal Job, did the research and read in haynes manual,,,

Ok, up on jackstands,pulled wheels, pulled diff cover, drained fluid, pulled calipers and rotors, cleaned out diff and cover with brake cleaner, RTV and mounted cover back on, dropped rear driveshaft from pinion,

So, WTF!!!! 33mm nut, we checked everywhere for a 33mm socket, but we only got 32 or 36, so off to the shop, they only got craft sockets in 32 and 34, so i bought a really fatwalled power socket in 34, Then when i came back we realize it was for 3/4" not 1/2" like we got, it also was far to thick walled to fit inside the yoke,

Harald showed up with his skills and welded a 1/2" socket to the 3/4" socket, BAM
Then we grinded it down to be Thin enough to fit inside the yoke.
BIG THX TO HARALD, couldnt have done everything without his help.

Made the aligment marks and checked the force needed to rotate the pinion BY HAND, none of our torque wrenches did Go That low like 10inch pounds ~ 1.2nM, so i just took a chance.
Pulled pinion nut, 20 years of sitting together so it was quite hard to Get off, so i needed to use an impact wrench to loosen it.
Pulled nut and yoke, finaly i was at the seal, seal was also same 20 years stuck, but we didnt gave up and after about 1 hour, i got it out, juhuuu!!!

Lubricated the new seal which came with the Jeep from PO, thx
Taped it carefuly into place, remounted yoke positioned to the aligment marks, turned on nut and torqued it down to all pinion endplay was gone, after this i torqued it down 10min (60min=1full rotation) at the time and rechecked turning resistans on the pinion, did torque it down total 50-60 min after no endplay cause nut still felt not hard tightened, then it seemed like the nut settled and got real hard.
Still pinion turning resistans was BY HAND same ish as before removel, so i let it be like that, hopefully i did it correct and will not ruin my diff.

Mounted driveshaft back into the yoke after the aligment marks made on These two,
Filled diff up with Valvoline 75W-140 syntetic gear oil.

Thats it for today, will reassembly brakes and wheels, Fix some lights, and front bumber tomorow,

T
image-656501478.jpg

image-2040416192.jpg

image-261452532.jpg

image-3419400990.jpg

R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #34
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

New and better Jeep day today

-Got brakes and rear wheels mounted back on,
-No leak on the floor like before
-Put it down from jackstands and checked fluid level rear diff,
-Found broken wire to licence plates lights after more investigation, spliced them up again, and lights back on
-Reassemblied Tailgate liner.
-Mounted back on headlight, one attachment point are broken off in the headlight support, i tried to glue it, but it wouldnt hold the force needed to push the headlight back on, so its still alittle loose, That and one missing turning light bulbs, Are the two small issues that i know off which can make it fail aprovel.
-Mounted back on front bumber and grill, will need to look into the bumber and make sone Fix here later on.
-Tried and tried and tried to open fill plug on front diff, scraped fill plug edges with dental tools and lubricated 100 times durring the day, cant Get it loose, will look into this further and drop cover when i have more time.

-Test drove it, drives smooth and Nice, suspension feels tight, brakes ok noe, not sticking anymore, have a small grind, need to retightened rear pinion, and do front diff soooon.

Fingers crossed, hopefully aproved tomorow morning.

T
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Unread 11-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #35
EvilVOG
1998 ZJ 

keeping my eye on this thread as you and I are working through some of the same stuff. Good work btw.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #36
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

PurpleHO failed aprovel today
No licence plates yet,
Problems to Fix,
-ABS light??? ANYONE??? All ideas apriciated,
-Emisson lambda to high, missing clamp before and after cat, leak here can F up emmision,,,? Will try That Fix first.
-Parking brake, new shoes needed for sure, nothing left, lol
-Loose headlight, glue didnt hold up against cracked and missing headlight support plastic, will try a better/stronger Fix.

More Work needed, but getting there.

Also front lower control arm bushing Are all the Way gone, so i will replace Those too, and Tailgate struts, all parts needed ordered from Kolak thx for nice priceing

Unread 11-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #37
WJ4x4LIFE

Coming along a little faster than I thought... I would start with checking your brake fluid, ABS sensors maybe disconnected or gone or dirty. I would then move on to bleeding the air out of the system correctly as I think I read earlier that you did a "Brake Job."
Unread 11-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #38
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Thx man, where Are Those sensors located?

I did clean and grease up the brakes, calipers was not disconected, PO did rotors and pads, but due to sitting, they had new surface rust and was sticking, rust Went away on the 350km roadtrip back home. Guess bleeding and changing That old brake fluid wont hurt either,,,

Unread 11-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #39
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk
Thx man, where Are Those sensors located? I did clean and grease up the brakes, calipers was not disconected, PO did rotors and pads, but due to sitting, they had new surface rust and was sticking, rust Went away on the 350km roadtrip back home. Guess bleeding and changing That old brake fluid wont hurt either,,,
ABS sensor should be going into the hub. Atleast on the front 2 hubs.
Unread 11-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #40
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Did some more reading, found this, will check these things out, it may be cycled 50x at ignition to clear code, so we will see, just another thing do add to the TODO list.
image-2678454301.jpg

Unread 11-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #41
WJ4x4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomahawk View Post
Did some more reading, found this, will check these things out, it may be cycled 50x at ignition to clear code, so we will see, just another thing do add to the TODO list.
I do not know if it is bad or good, if you write exactly what the manual said to do on it, before hand....
Unread 11-19-2013, 02:17 AM   #42
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Check brake fluid,
Check ECU conector,
Check pump conector,
Check ABS fuses
Check wireing and conectors to each wheel soeed sensors.

ABS fault codes/light remain in system until they Are cleaned or until the Vehicle Are started about 50 times.

Unread 11-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #43
EvilVOG
1998 ZJ 

don't know if you have part stores like we have here, but the bigger chain stores tend to have code readers that will check your codes for free, and clear them out.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #44
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Parts coming in tomorow, project Jeep just been sitting while waiting for parts, will find some time a day soon and continue the repairs needed for the aprovel.

Unread 12-17-2013, 06:22 AM   #45
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Nice jeep and it looks like you're having fun with it too

One thing , 1995 ? Gotta ask , it has all the 96-98 changes , bumper/grill , fascia , interior , and even the D44a . 95 would have had the straight bumper , boxier dash , different seats etc etc . Was this a Euro thing ? Where you guys a year ahead of us What's the build date on the drivers door say ?

The light will go out when there is no problem .

Remove and clean all sensors . They are magnets and get dirty from metalic brake pad debris . I know the rear sensors have adjustment , and , if not correct , can be an issue too .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.