new battery - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > new battery

Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!GenRight Offroad at CCOR! 706-207-4140Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 10-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
zeak411
1995 ZJ 

new battery

okay so my battery has been dieing allot lately so i tested it and it said it is bad so going to get a new one what would be the best battery for me to get that would help with a zj with a 1100w amp and 400w 10in kicker sub-woofer i like something that i wont have to replace for a wile and will give me best performance and i like it to play like 5 songs with out the battery dieing when jeep is not running i have a 1995 jeep zj laredo with 4.0 right now the one i am using will hold a charge for like a week still using it but i want to get a new one

zeak411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
biebs53
1998 ZJ 

Take a look at Optima batteries. I havent read up on the newer ones, dont know if theyre still as good but.i've had them in almost every vehicle and they've been awesome. Also heard good things about Die Hard Platinums but I believe those are wet batteries

Build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-raven-biebs53-build-thread-1215245/[/FONT][/url][/CENTER]
biebs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 05:26 AM   #3
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Optima are awesome. For high power demands get the yellow top.
Unread 10-07-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Platinum die hard. I read a while back that optimas are now made by johnson controls, the same people that make walmart ones,

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

And who makes the Die-Hard ?
96zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman
Platinum die hard. I read a while back that optimas are now made by johnson controls, the same people that make walmart ones,
Yes they are,jc also makes batteries for autozone and advance auto however they are made to the vendors specs,they are all not the same
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
biebs53
1998 ZJ 

I would still go optima. If it's gonna go bad, it will within the 3 year free replacement period. I just cant put a wet battery in an off road vehicle. Too much mess every time. And yes, go with a yellow top, I only used a red top because it was free

Build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-raven-biebs53-build-thread-1215245/[/FONT][/url][/CENTER]
biebs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
Buster42

I would not recommend optima. I've never ran any in my own personal vehicles but for good reason. I'm a natural gas compressor technician and we put blue tops on our units which are powered by GM engines. I have to replace them all the time. It seems that when they are drawn completely dead they are done
Buster42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster42
I would not recommend optima. I've never ran any in my own personal vehicles but for good reason. I'm a natural gas compressor technician and we put blue tops on our units which are powered by GM engines. I have to replace them all the time. It seems that when they are drawn completely dead they are done
Are they yellow tops?
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Die Hard. After hearing all the crap about Optimas dying and warranty hassles I'll never buy one.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #11
DeejayZeejay
1994 ZJ 

Also when running your stereo system with your Jeep off is a no no. When you go to start your Jeep, the alternator will work harder to get the battery back to normal charge. Fastest way to cook your alternator. Just my 2 cents. I've also had good luck with duralast batteries. No problems and their warranty is nice.
Unread 10-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #12
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

I can't remember who makes the diehard but its not johnson. There is another company that makes an identical looking battery down to the aux battery post. I got the marine version platinum that had them also.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
Unread 10-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #13
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
I can't remember who makes the diehard but its not johnson. There is another company that makes an identical looking battery down to the aux battery post. I got the marine version platinum that had them also.
I believe it Enersys, same people who make the Odyssey's
We quit using the Optimas for racing and moved to the Odyssey's
a couple of years ago... I run them in my boats and jet ski as well.
Still have some of the older Optimas around and working well even at 7 years
old. (pre Johnsons). The Johnsons just don't seem to last like the originals.
96zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2012, 04:45 AM   #14
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

yep.thats it.

Unread 10-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #15
zeak411
1995 ZJ 

great guys thanks for the help and 96zedjay if maby u have some of those old optimas i would love to buy one from you maby for a cheap price it sounds like a optima would be the best way to go i dont run the stereo with the jeep off that often but somtimes i could not even play one song and it would kill the hole battery and i have to get a jump start also like maby to save some money so i want to go with maby a really good battery for like less than a 120 or 150 i really hope you can keep helping me play to buy one on Sunday so please help
zeak411 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.